“Good Food, Nice Atmosphere”

El Gato Negro Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #156 of 1,992 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I ate at this restaurant as more of a last minute descission. The restaurant is smaller but had a nice atmosphere. The menu had the typical fare but with little twists in the ingredients such as buffalo. The food was good and the service was average. Observered plate sized margaritas being served....would recommend those! Overall, restaurant was average, would not go out of way to visit but if you are looking for a break from Creole/Cajun food, try this place out.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

There was really anything wrong with the food, it was just fairly generic. There was nothing that screamed authentic cuisine. Actually, each dish in our group was just a bit bland. The service was pretty bad. It was crowded, but still took us a long time every time we needed a server.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our last day in NO and decided to try something different. This is a fantastic Mexican. It's small but interestingly decorated, with Tequila bottles everywhere and an open kitchen. Be aware they don't take reservations, so go early.
The menu appears to be standard Mexican fare, but the food itself is anything but standard. Our server recommended a new addition to the menu - chicken breast stuffed with chorizo, in a sauce made with Tequila, cream, cheese, and some ingredients I can't remember. She said she had literally seen people lick the plate after eating this dish, and having tried it I believe her - it was superb! Spicy, perfectly cooked and full of taste.
This is also the place to go for Margaritas too - all made with fresh juices (no mixes). We could easily have stayed here all afternoon just drinking Margaritas, but sadly we had to go.
Another place on the "visit again" list, without a shadow of doubt.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

El Gato Negro was one of my must stop restaurants on our recent trip to New Orleans. I had heard such great things about the margaritas, I just had to have a couple. My wife and I both ordered the Pineapple Cilantro & Lime margaritas which were delicious. We had two each. :) If rating the restaurant only on the drinks and complimentary chips and salsa, I would rank it 5 stars, however the service left a lot to be desired. After informing the waitress that we would only be ordering drinks (as we had eaten lunch a little earlier), she became disinterested and it showed on her face as well as her actions. It took at least 15 minutes for our margaritas to come up, and another 15 minutes for a refill on our waters. This could have been a one time instance, but we were taken aback. All in all, we would visit the restaurant again, but probably would get our drinks to go.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Our B&B owner recommended this restaurant as something a little different from the average. He recommended the Cilantro-Pineapple margarita - Tasted very different, but excellent. All of the food and drink was very fresh and well prepared. Some of the best Mexican food we have had. The place was very busy, and there was only one person taking orders, she was overwhelmed. They seemed very short handed and it took us about an hour to get served. Fortunately we had the chips/salsa along with a table side Guacamole and margaritas all around. Very small place, but highly recommended.