“Roaches ”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

This place is a hole in the wall dive. There was a German roach crawling on the silverware and on our table. I don't care how "good" the people say this place is- roaches are a ref flag. Run the other way and dine elsewhere!!

Reviewed June 25, 2014

First of all, I LOVE the fact that I can order almost any freshly-squeezed juice known to man and that the Surrey staff will gladly combine them. (I had grapefruit and kale and it was wonderful; my husband loved his pineapple-mango-orange.) We arrived early and didn't have to wait, but there was a line forming upon our departure. The building is long and narrow and seating is limited, but if you do have to wait, trust me that it will be worth it. Service was prompt and polite. I ordered the crab omelet and it was delicious. Duck egg omelets were also available, and I'm sure those would have been equally unique and great-tasting. My husband had the boudin sausage and he wasn't wild about it, but otherwise, our venture to Surrey was excellent. Highly recommend!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

it was a sunday morning, a friend waited an hour before the rest of the group got to the restaurant and we were seated about 10 minutes later. I never had grits before and was so happy to have had Surrey's shrimp and grits be my first. several friends ordered the bananas foster french toast and they all loved it. the price is great, the staff is nice, food is delicious- you should eat here!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

It's always fun, funky and 'Nawlins to eat at Surrey's in the Garden District at Euterpe/Magazine Streets. The crabmeat omelet is rich and will send you home to take a nap! Fresh squeezed juices and true New Orleans coffee make this dining experience a must do if you want real new Orleans.
Bring Cash, as credit cards are not taken here. Come early if possible because mid morning usually has a line outside the door.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Located just outside the Garden District in the Lower Garden District, Surrey’s was just a five minute walk from St. Vincent’s. An attractive young lady served as greeter and seater, took my name, and stated, “It will be a few minutes.” She suggested that we wait outside and that she would call us. We watched the kids playing during recess across the street at the International School and had a smoke. The wait was about ten minutes then we are seated. The menu revealed an array of freshly squeezed juices, plus you can combine them. The menu offered many choices of entrees for the main breakfast. I ordered the Crab Omelet. It is not overly seasoned, but just right. My Crab Omelet was delicate, mild, and delicious. The dish was fresh and tasty. I had carrot juice. I enjoyed my meal. Nothing under the warming lamps here.
I can not remember if he had hot tea or a glass of water, but Lukas struggled to finish his sausage gravy and biscuits. He said, “The biscuits are good, too big, and not enough gravy, and they put scallions, or chives on top.” He can not stand onions, or anything related close to them including garlic. I don’t think he enjoyed his breakfast as much as I enjoyed mine.
All of the staff were direct and pleasant. Plenty of eye contact and focus from the employees while you are being seated, as you order, and when your selection comes. Even the guy busing tables seemed congenial and pleased with his role. Surrey’s is a small place with tight seating. There is maybe a line to get in so plan on waiting a few minutes. The prices are reasonable. It is comfortable with local art on the wall. It seemed to be a favorite hangout of locals, but who can tell the difference between local and a tourist?