“Garden District Walking Tour”

Historic New Orleans Tours
Ranked #57 of 236 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Outstanding French Quarter, Cemetery, Garden District, Swamp, Music, Haunted, Plantation, Literary, and Cocktail tours. Experience why 'Frommer’s New Orleans' wrote: “Historic New Orleans Tours is the place to go for authenticity rather than sensationalism.”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My friend and I took a Garden District Walking Tour with James and it was excellent. The group was small, only 5 people. James was very knowledgable. He included details regarding architecture, history, and period stories for many houses. He also took us to some well known celebrity homes as well. I highly recommend this tour.

1  Thank Edna K
in 23 reviews
"knowledgeable guide"
"interesting stories"
in 12 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 22 reviews
"beignets"
in 16 reviews
"mardi gras"

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I took two of these Historic Walking Tours this week and both were very good. I did the French Quarter Cemetary/Voodoo tour the morning and I was the only person on the tour! The guide did a great job of explaining the practices of burial here and also described what Voodoo is all about. Then, in the afternoon I took the Garden District tour to see the lovely mansions in this part of town. Both were a reasonable price ($20) and required a 2 hour saunter around these districts. Definitely a great way to learn about the fascinating city of New Orleans. Excellent value for money spent!

1  Thank look4fun
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I took the Cocktail tour in mid-September and had a great time. There were only four of us on the tour, which allowed our wonderful guide Frank to give us a tour tailored somewhat to our interests, which included all the cocktails and scandal but also extended into literature, with a shared love for Tennessee Williams and John Kennedy Toole. Frank weaved stories about the different cocktails, restaurant families, MardiGras festivities, the odd murder and scandal and took us to some private spaces that you would never otherwise be able to access. We had such fun together that we ran more than an hour overtime, which none of us minded in the least, even though it was in the midst of the 'dog days of summer', as Frank would say. We simply had a great time, and when we bumped into Frank a few days later (after doing their Garden District walk with another guide), he remembered us and gave us some guidance and tips on what to see during a driving tour up the Mississippi, a service above and beyond the call of duty. Frank is a great guide for those of you lucky enough to catch him. We heartily recommend this tour for those with an interest in NOLA, and things quirky. It helps to bring a thirst along so you can sample some of the cocktails, we did!

2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were lucky to have our wonderful guide, Rebecca, all to ourselves on The Scandalous Cocktail Tour. Meandering us through the Vieux Carée she informed us of the history of certain famous cocktails, the stories behind the bars and hotels where they were created and served, as well as relating anecdotes from the lives of certain personages in and around the establishments and their activities. If the tour begins and ends with drinks, and one sips along the way, while being told more than one ever knew about drinks, by no means is the tour exhausted by cocktails alone. Many other scandalous details and details of scandals await! Don't hesitate to sign up for this one! The French Quarter comes alive with Rebecca!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We did a French Quarter tour. It was a nice small group; only eight of us plus our guide Glen. It was especially humid and hot that day. Glen asked us what we wanted to see or hear about but I wasn't sure what to ask for. We wound up trying to keep either in the shade or in air conditioning to keep cool. He was full of interesting stories and took us places we would never have been able to go on our own. I couldn't beleive when the tour was finished, it went so fast. I was suprised at some of the places we didn't go but I could always look up the history on these places on my own (and he did ask). However the places he showed us and some of his stories stayed with us all week. In the end, we were really glad we took the tour and happy with the way he ran it. Nothing beats having a local show you around.

2  Thank FRENCHENGLISH