“A nice cafe away from the tourist crowd”
Review of Refuel Cafe

Refuel Cafe
Ranked #506 of 1,946 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Uptown / Carrollton
Ball, Louisiana
“A nice cafe away from the tourist crowd”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We came down to New Orleans for the weekend and were looking at which cafe to have breakfast at. There are a lot of cafes but so many are in the french quarter where you will have to pay for parking (a lot) and then deal with very heavy and/or intoxicated crowds, yes, even on a Saturday or Sunday morning. This cafe is in the Garden District away from all of that. It's a small building but is pleasant inside with contemporary decor. All employees were well mannered and the owner(s) was/were out and pleasant as well. You should view the menu prior to coming if you can. They will have a stack near the counter. You come in and order then take your seat. I'll attach a picture of our meal. I had a baja omelet which was very good, quality ingredients. My husband ordered the grits which were very creamy and said some of the best he's had. It did get busy but food came out very fast. We would return again.

• Visited March 2014

Austin, Texas
“World's greatest grits!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Have to mention the grits first because they're even better than mine. Paired with the grilled andouille and you have a little piece of heaven. Ditto for basically everything else I've ever had here over the years. All good. And don't be put off if you see a line out the door. Table turnover is pretty brisk so chances are you'll be able to sit down once you've ordered. That said, nobody will hurry you out if you decide to linger a bit. The owner and staff are delightful and efficient, so it scores high in all categories. Enjoy!

• Visited December 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Great neighborhood cafe!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Living in New Orleans, there is almost no possible way to check every restaurant off my growing wish list of potential eating nirvanas. In my wanderings around Nola looking for new favorite places, I sometimes forget to check my own neighborhood of Uptown/Carrollton. On a lazy Tuesday morning, I finally did make it to another of our local restaurants, Refuel Cafe. The atmosphere is casual cool, and the patrons were an eclectic mix of what looked like young professionals, students, and locals just relaxing away from home. My gf ordered a "traditional" breakfast bagel sandwich with egg, bacon, and cheese on an everything bagel. The sandwich was pressed in a panini grill after being lightly brushed with what looked like butter. She also ordered a side of breakfast potatoes and a fruit smoothie. I ordered a breakfast burrito with andouille sausage, egg, cheese, and a delicious pinkish "special sauce." I also ordered a side of black beans, a iced tropical green tea and coffee. I could describe everything in detail, but I can sum the food up by saying EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS!! We were honestly surprised by how good the bagel sandwich and breakfast burrito were. The black beans were stars by themselves, but were also great on the burrito. The portions were just right, and I even took half my burrito home with some breakfast potatoes. The smoothie was good, but not great; the tea was pretty standard green tea; and the coffee was good solid cafe coffee. The staff was attentive and accommodating both at the ordering counter and on the floor. One simple pleasure for me was that the tables along the wall were tall with tall chairs. I like that. My only slight complaint about Refuel is that they don't have a posted drink menu either on the printed menu or on the wall by the ordering counter. I wanted to know what they offered to drink, so the lady behind the counter told me she was the drink menu, and rattled off about a dozen and a half options. That was inconvenient, especially since they obviously offered much more than coffee. That was a minor inconvenience in an otherwise great experience. We'll be back there soon, after all, it's walking distance...no excuse!

• Visited November 2013
Montgomery
“Refuel after waking up late!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Very nice place with great food and super awesome owner! It's right off St. Charles streetcar line (temporarily bus service on this section of the line). Chill atmosphere where you order and food brought to you. Excellent Migas and Cuban Sandwich. Treated to a complementary strawberry muffin that tasted divine. Check it out if you want to stroll away from touristy FQ and have a great hangover brunch!

• Visited August 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Awesome place for brunch”
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I stop by this place with a friend for brunch yesterday and it was a great experience. I had the Mediterranean scrambled eggs and I would definitely recommend trying that. I would also go very early as this place is popular. I got
there at around 1045am and the line wasn't too long. By the time we finished our meal the line was already halfway around the block.
The staff were also very friendly. The atmosphere and the ambience of this restaurant is also great.

• Visited August 2013