“Great location but rooms are small” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Royal

Hotel Royal
Ranked #104 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles, California
“Great location but rooms are small”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

We loved everything about the location - it's nestled near art galleries and great restaurants and away from the boisterous part of Bourbon St. The staff was extremely pleasant, kind and very helpful. The room was clean and well kept however, be prepared for its' small size. There is little room to put your luggage out and there is only one very narrow table to put your stuff on. The bathroom is tiny, tiny, tiny. The sink was so small I had a hard time washing my face and there was no counter space whatsoever. The shower is also tiny. This is definitely not the hotel for you if you are big boned or claustrophobic. However, that being said, it was quiet and very charming. I would consider staying here again just for the location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HunterSimone
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear HunterSimone,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at the Hotel Royal. Hotel Royal was originally a Creole townhouse in the 1800’s and therefore our rooms range in size. Again we are sorry to hear that the space was a challenge for you. Usually we recommend a Royal Superior Suite or Royal Balcony Suite for our guest who prefer more space and the Deluxe Suites for those guests who enjoy the location with less need for space. I am thrilled that you were able to enjoy our property’s perfect location in the French Quarter! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
French Quarter Hotel Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

PROS: The location in perfect. The staff is very helpful and nice, they indicated us great places to eat in the French Quarter. The room is charming and pleasant.

CONS: Parking Lot. The hotel has a small one, so if you are lucky you can get a spot there, but it costs u$ 25,00 per day. No elevator, which is only an issue if you have large bags. The bathroom and specially the shower box is very small! There's no room, not even for a toothbrush, as there's no counter, just the sink.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room in the ground floor, as there's no elevator. If possible, ask for the larger...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mariana U
Dear Mariana U,
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay, at Hotel Royal. Our team works diligently to ensure only the best experience for each of our valued guests. Hotel Royal was originally a Creole Townhouse in the 1800’s therefore our rooms vary in size. While we do not have elevators, our guest services staff is happy to assist with luggage up the stairs. Please accept my apologies if this service was not offered to you. It was our pleasure to serve you throughout your visit, and we look forward to your return!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

When I chose this hotel I was so excited that if fit my criteria to a T. It was very old with a wonderful wrought iron balcony but renovated and very clean and modern on the inside. We all know that photography can enhance spaces and make everything look chic and that is exactly what happened here. The rooms are tiny and sparse, yes, but talk about no frills. Not even water. You get two tiny water bottles in your room when you check in and that's it. In a food town like New Orleans it would be nice to have a little fridge in the room for bringing back leftovers. However, that is the least of my complaints---when you mess with people's money on vacation that's a very bad thing. I walked in under the impression that my bill was paid, when I was asked for a credit card I wasn't told that there would be a $150 hold on my card for possible room damages ( what!!?What could I possibly damage in that room, the lavish Ikea furniture?) then I was charged twice for a final balance that I'm still not sure I actually owe. When I called the hotel about the charges that I had just realized were on my card while out to breakfast, Daz, the girl behind the desk was extremely rude and said that I better "shoulder on back to the hotel" to talk about the charges. I have to say that she was the rudest out of all the staff. Semih was very nice and Eric was absolutely wonderful, that young man knows what customer service is. Bradley was fine although it would help to tell the guests to use a credit card instead of a debit card if you're going to put any sort of hold on their card. And no, we were not told about a hold at the time of our check in. So we're back home and our checking account is all out of whack and because it takes 3-5 days for charges to be refunded on a debit card we don't really know yet what we'll get back. I think this hotel is very poorly managed and you can get way more for your money somewhere else. BTW, I wasn't asked if I was a AAA member which I am, and therefore could of saved 10% on my bill. I am left with a horrible taste in my mouth.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Maricu916
Bradley L, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Maricu916,
I would like to apologize for the fact that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. Hotel Royal was originally a Creole Townhouse in the 1800’s and our rooms vary in size up to 700 square feet. Your reservation was booked for a deluxe standard room, but you were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe balcony room as you were celebrating a birthday. Usually we recommend a Royal Superior Suite or Royal Balcony Suite for our guest who prefer more space and the Deluxe Suites for those guests who enjoy the location with less need for space. I regret that there was confusion regarding your debit card and the security deposit. This policy is stated on our hotel website as well as all third party sites. Additionally, the registration card you signed at check in states "Hotel Royal discourages the use of debit cards as this action can affect funds available to the card holder." In regards to a AAA discount, your reservation was booked through the third party website Booking.com, AAA discounts are only available when booking directly through the hotel. Eric and Semih are valuable members of our guest services team, and I am glad they impressed you. Thank you for your feedback.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Very nice little place. The rooms are small and cozy, but seem to be newly renovated. Very clean and the service is wonderful. Everyone was very kind and friendly. Very helpful with local restaurants and things to do! Helpful with luggage since there are only stairs. I have no complaints!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ShelbyNiecy,
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Hotel Royal! We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to the Big Easy!
George Town, Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

First off, I stayed at Hotel Royal for 3 nights on a busy weekend in New Orleans and enjoyed every aspect of it. Great location, near Bourbon St if that is your thing and walkable to anything in the Quarter. Attentive staff and well appointed. I was a bit tentative after having read a few negative reviews, but having spent a good bit of time in the Quarter I got the sense that these reviewers did not have realistic expectations for an neighborhood that was built in the 1700s and one block from Bourbon St. (you are looking in the wrong place if you want a large quiet room). I feel like I made the right choice and got what I paid for and a bit more knowing the area.

In short, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JMarrs83
Bradley B, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at the Hotel Royal! We are thrilled you had such a pleasant stay with us and hope you will come back and see us when you return to New Orleans!
French Quarter Hotel Group
Sutton Coldfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

A little disappointed staying at Hotel Royal, we were in the room located the furthest away from reception which involved many flights of stairs, also the shower door broke which could have been a huge embarrassment as my husband could not get out of the shower without taking it apart! Breakfast very basic we stayed at another hotel the following night much better value for money, the only plus for his hotel was location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bobbi28,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Hotel Royal. I would like to personally apologize that you were not satisfied during your stay with us. Hotel Royal was originally a Creole Townhouse in the 1800’s and an elevator was not needed. Our guest services staff is more than happy to assist guests with luggage. Your comment about your shower has been noted and our maintenance department has been made aware to fix the issue.
French Quarter Hotel Group
Oregon, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed two nights at Hotel Royal. I was greeted by friendly staff who were very welcoming and helpful. The hotel is located away from the crazy of Bourbon St but close enough to walk anywhere and feel safe. The room was tiny but clean and the bed was comfortable (and I'm picky). There were little details missing which would have made the room more comfortable......like somewhere to hang a hand towel or put your toothbrush. The biggest complaint was that the painted floors gave off fumes that caused some discomfort. Also the walls were thin so I spent one sleepless night listening to the couple next door crying and arguing. Overall the place was charming and contributed to a positive visit. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank olyn2013
Dear olyn2013,
We appreciate your feedback concerning your recent stay with us at the Hotel Royal. We pride ourselves on our welcoming and service-oriented staff, so I am thrilled they were able to impress you. Thank you for providing helpful feedback regarding your stay, and please know we will actively work to ensure your expectations are exceeded upon your return.