“Great B&B, wonderful hosts, friendly neighbourhood”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Royal Street Courtyard
Ranked #27 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great B&B, wonderful hosts, friendly neighbourhood”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I've stayed at Royal Street Courtyard three times over three years. The most recent being March 2013 and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in New Orleans.
Phillip and David are great hosts. When you first arrive, Phillip will greet you and will be very happy to give you a quick run-down of things to do and places to eat in the local area. He can also provide some interesting background on New Orleans and the B&B, itself.
The location of the B&B is just perfect. The Marigny is a very friendly and safe part of town. There are loads of great places to eat in the local area and in the Bywater (about 15 minutes' walk). If you're in town for the nightlife then Frenchman Street and the start of the livelier French Quarter area is just four blocks away. I also recommend getting a 6-pack of Abita from Schiro's, tuning into WWOZ and sitting on the front porch (and waving at the friendly locals) or in the private courtyard at the back.
I've stayed in four of the rooms over my visits and found them all to be very comfortable. The rooms are all cleaned and restocked daily. A selection of breakfast cereals and bagels with great chicory coffee is provided every morning which is perfectly good but if you're looking for something more substantial then there are plenty of local places to get breakfast. I recommend Cake Cafe or Cafe Nero.
All in all, a fantastic place to stay. Thank you Phillip, David and Booboo. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The front rooms upstairs have front facing balconies!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cardiff
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I really can't praise this B&B and the hosts enough. The building itself is beautiful, and the rooms and clean and well equipped. The owners David and Phillip always make you feel at home and are full of information about the area and especially where to eat and drink. The area is without doubt the best part of New Orleans. It's around a 5 minute walk to Frenchmen Street, but is far enough to be a bit quieter. There are also lots of great places to eat and drink in the Marigny area, much better than the tourist traps in the French Quarter.

1 Thank P B
San Leandro, CA
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place has so much charm and the location cannot be beat. But what really made our stay so memorable was the hospitality. We have stayed at our share of B&B's, and Philip and David are by far the best hosts we have ever had. They were so helpful and accommodating and really went above and beyond for us. Our first night there, we nearly missed our dinner reservation (made weeks in advance) due to a mix-up with the cab service. When they realized the cab was not going to arrive in time to make our reservation, they piled us into their own vehicle and hightailed it to the restaurant, which was a good 15 min. drive away. How awesome is that?! We only wish we had booked our entire New Orleans stay at Royal Street Courtyard. We will definitely return. Thanks so much for a great experience Philip & David!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I very rarely am compelled to write restaurant/hotel/Yelp reviews, but was determined to sing Phil and David's praises just after an hour upon arrival (which was three hours too early, but they accommodated us with such warmth anyway!) Stay here, and you'll immediately get a thorough and thoughtful lay of the land, awesome recommendations for eating/shopping/music all nearby, and feel like you have your own home base to come back to after a day of touring. The location is awesome - convenient to more touristy destinations, but in a quiet yet happening 'hood of its own. I actually started bugging Phil weeks before even arriving in NOLA, and he graciously offered us travel tips for the city where we were visiting before (Houston) and also helped us plan for awesome things to do in NOLA while we were there - if it weren't for Phil, we wouldn't have seen the Super Sunday Mardi Gras Indians parade, or the Downtown Parade which just happened to go by our Inn the first night of our stay! Phil and David, thank you and hope to see you again sooner than later!

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 31, 2013

So, to give you some idea of how much we all fell in love with Royal Street Courtyard and New Orleans, at the end of this stay, I immediately checked online to see if they had any Halloween availability left!

Even after our group had all decamped to an airbnb rental (we didn't realize RSC would be so awesome, otherwise we would have stayed there the whole week), we came back on our last day in NOLA to visit Cake Cafe and RSC, and give Philip and David a rubber duckie for their fountain. They gave us hugs (even our friend Rhonda, who hadn't stayed there, and they didn't know from Adam) and invited us to sit in the rockers on their front porch and talk with them. Now THAT is hospitality, my friends. I will never stay anywhere else in New Orleans.

OK, on to the details! When we arrived, Philip and Boo Boo the cat greeted us. Philip had a map waiting for us, and went over all the great local spots to eat and listen to live music. His advice was spot on! Especially Cake Cafe, a block away - oh my Lord, biscuits the size of your head! (And amazing cupcakes and cinnamon rolls and carrot cake muffins with cream cheese icing. Yes, I gained 10 pounds in a week in NOLA, and regret nothing.) And Adolfo's Italian joint on Frenchmen St - fantastic Italian Creole food, we ate there twice!

RSC is perfectly located - in a safe, charming, quiet neighborhood (the Marigny), within easy walking distance of the FQ and Frenchmen St (wonderful cafes, bars and live music), and cool eateries in the Bywater. It's all easily walkable, but taxis are plentiful and super cheap if you need one (use United Cabs, save their number on your phone, they were always there in five minutes).

When Philip took us up to our rooms, we fell in love. I had beautiful room 8, with 14-ft ceilings, a clawfoot tub, and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The sheets were like silk made out of butter, 1800 thread count. (I never realized I cared about the thread count of sheets, having always slept on Target specials, but it turns out I do!) We loved the sheets so much, we went to the French Market to buy some, and when the shopkeeper found out we were from RSC, he gave us a discount! They were a great bargain - $35 for a full set? Get out of town! That's what I paid for my Target ones!

Once I managed to get out of my amazing bed, and stopped soaking in the huge tub while listening to History Channel, I liked to pop right down the hall to the computer our hosts had for their guests, complete with printer. They also had a microwave, to complement the individual refrigerators everyone had in their rooms! On the balcony outside the door next to the computer, was a little hanging swing with a table, so it was a great place to sit with a friend and demolish takeout. While we never used their lovely courtyard or hot tub, it looked great!

But my favorite thing to do was to sit on the front porch on a sunny morning, in a rocker, with takeout breakfast from Cake Cafe (they serve continental breakfast at RSC, but if you're a block from Cake Cafe, for God's sake, go to Cake Cafe!) It was shady and peaceful, WWOZ was playing 1930s jazz (very softly), the wind chimes were ringing above our heads, and families would walk by with strollers and chat with us. Boo Boo the cat curled up at our feet, and I was like, this is heaven. If I die and go to heaven, this is what it's like.

I cried a little at the airport, going home to NYC from New Orleans. I fell fast and hard for this city, and RSC was a huge part of that. Thank you, Philip and David, for being so awesome!! I will be visiting at least once a year, if the good Lord is willin' and the creek don't rise!

Room Tip: Room 8 was fantastic, with an attached bathroom and clawfoot tub. My friends stayed in rooms with p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Yes folks, this is a property that lives up to the reviews! If you've read them and think they're too good to be true, they're not. A great location which is quiet and off the main drag of NOLA (and where we felt perfectly safe), charming hosts who have honestly thought of everything to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable (as previously mentioned, Philip gives a very thorough briefing and provides you with a local map where he's marked all the places of interest), great ambience and ample continental breakfasts to start your day.
Staying here was definitely one of the highlights of our trip and we are so thankful to Philip and David for their Southern hospitality and fabulous recommendations on restaurants and things to do.
Also, other must do's in NOLA: Confederacy of Cruisers bike tour (informative and lots of fun), the Cake Cafe (unanimous agreement that their cupcakes are better than the much feted Magnolia Bakery in NYC), Adolpho's restaurant (it's worth lining up for). Enjoy!

Room Tip: We booked rooms 10 and 11 which have balcony access - highly recommended!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the Super Bowl and we really enjoyed our trip. Phillip and David are fantastic hosts. We tried several restaurants at Phillip's recommendation and were very happy with each one. I could eat at the Cake Cafe every day for breakfast! The neighborhood is easy to get around and is close enough to the Quarter for a comfortable walk. We found this to be a great alternative to staying at the hotels on the other side of the Quarter. Next time in New Orleans, we will be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple