“The Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Street Courtyard

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Royal Street Courtyard
You added Royal Street Courtyard to your Saves list
Ranked #21 of 140 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

First let me say that Phillip and David are the perfect hosts. This little B&B is the perfect distance from the French Quarter. It is a colourful walk down Frenchman Street to the Quarter and Phillip and David tell you all the local secrets to truly experience New Orleans.

I've stayed here twice, once during Mardi Gras, and again at Halloween. The neighborhood is quiet and the perfect place to rest after the party on Bourbon Street or sip chicory coffee on the balcony before going out for a day of shopping at the French Market.

The bedrooms are spacious and clean. I only had rooms with an attached bath and both the bathrooms were always clean and well maintained. I never had a problem with water pressure or not having hot water. The only downside to the bathroom is that the ones that only have a shower, the shower is really small.

I can't say enough good things about this B&B! The price is right, the coffee is great, but the best part is how by the end of a week, you will feel like a local!

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

From the moment we met Phillip when he greeted us at the front gates, we knew that we were in good hands. Phillip was more than prepared for our arrival, armed with a map of all the must-eats in town. We never strayed from his recommendations and felt smug when other locals suggest restaurants that we've already been to. Our room was enormous, luxurious and full of character. The king sized bed had some of the best sheets I've ever slept on. The breakfast was a light fare but varied and plentiful. The neighborhood is charming and not at all shady, you can tell the area is not cheap. However, it is not well-lite, but we noticed that that seems to be normal in residential areas. With perks like a hot tub, free computer with printer access, free wi-fi, basket of sunscreen and a bottle opener by the front door, you know the owners don't skimp on giving their guests the best. Phillip even nursed my husband back to health by bringing him vitamin C supplements when he learned he had a cold until he was good as new. Thank you Phillip, we felt truly lucky that we ended up staying with you.

Room Tip: For the best seafood (and everything garlic) go to Adolfo's. It's worth the wait.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in room 8.
Our hosts were very friendly and helpful. David and Phillip are very well prepared and provided helpful local advice. We felt like we experienced the real New Orleans during our stay, spending time on the porch, watching people go by, hearing about Katrina from a local’s perspective.
Very close to Frenchman Street which is fantastic, a bit further to get to Bourbon Street but that suited us fine.
Our room was huge with a bar fridge, air con and ceiling fan. We were comfortable sleeping with the fan on, the air con would be too loud to leave on at night in summer. Shower over bath arrangement, the shower is on the small side but does the job.
It was too hot to try out the hot tub but the back garden looked lovely.
Free WiFi is a bonus.
You should also know there is a live in cat.
Easy to get on-street parking.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I chose Royal Street Courtyard based on previous reviews and boy, am I glad I did. Thanks folks for giving me the good oil on this gem. Located on the edge of the French Quarter, but far enough away to escape the noise, this is a perfect place to come back to after the day's or night's activities. Almost museum-like in its ambience, its eclectic decor both in the rooms and the rest of the house was an absolute delight. As many have mentioned Philip is a wonderful host and spot on with his dining and entertainment recommendations. He is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful whatever your needs. I'm longing to return to the Big Easy and the Royal Street Courtyard already.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Thanks, Phillip. Kristi and I had a great time on our romantic get-away. We appreciate all the suggestions you gave us (especially Adolfo's) and the time you took to orient us to the French Quarter and the Marigny. We liked the grandeur and comfort of the old home that is your inn, enjoyed that it was such a quiet respite from the sight-seeing and merry-making, and we will miss precocious Bo Bo. We intend to come back and next time plan on taking time to try out the hot tub.

Derby, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

As many other reviews have commented, Philip and David are great hosts, full of information and useful tips - but are also very gracious and welcoming. I was initially unsure about visiting New Orleans having been on business before and not enjoyed it, but my wife wanted to visit so we chose Royal St Courtyard on the basis of the TA reviews. Our stay here also helped to change my mind about New Orleans as I saw the city from a different perspective - it's not all about 5* chain hotels and Bourbon St.
A few comments - the house is old and a bit "worn". It's clean, but don't expect luxury. Breakfast is served promptly at 8am (!) and is a "serve yourself" Continental. If I have one complaint/thing I would improve I'd like some fresh fruit - not just a couple of bananas. Location is great for walking to Frenchmen St and live music. I couldn't see any problem in walking around the neighborhood although some might have a few concerns. Parking is on the street outside which didn't concern me as I had a rental car, but again, some might not like this.
We stayed in room 11 - upstairs with en suite bathroom and access to the balcony overlooking the street.
I am now a New Orleans convert and thanks to my stay here could visit again tomorrow!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11 which has en-suite bathroom and access to semi-privated balcony
1 Thank kmr1809
chicago,illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have never stayed in the Marigny before. WHAT was I thinking?! It will be difficult from now on for me to venture beyond Frenchman's St. when I'm in New Orleans. The slow pace, the wonderful food, the BEST music venues...and (drum roll please)...The Royal Street Courtyard. Can I just say, "Philip, I love you! I miss my room. I miss Boo-Boo (the cat). I miss the front porch. I miss coming through your gate every evening. I want to come home, Philip!" If you are looking for a different point of view from the craziness of Bourbon St. If you want to see what it FEELS like to live in New Orleans.....look no further. You will feel miles away from the French Quarter but, in fact, you are only several blocks away and the walk is so enjoyable. You will find something new each day if you take different routes and go exploring. I will NEVER stay anywhere else if I can help it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends