“First time in New Orleans”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Royal Street Courtyard
Ranked #25 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“First time in New Orleans”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

What a great way to discover the charms of New Orleans. Phillip was absolutely spot on with his recommendations on where to go and what to eat. Coffee on the porch with David was a lesson in southern charm and friendliness. fantastic!

Room Tip: Some rooms have their own bathrooms down the hall, but it is still your bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is the 2nd time myself and my wife have visited Royal Street Courtyard and I must say there are no better hosts than Phillip and David. We had room 8 this time which is upstairs at the back, great size room and the bath and shower were also very good. Just outside the room there is also a lovely swinging chair, great for reading/chilling out. I really dont know why anyone would stay in a chain hotel. You meet so many different people and on numerous days/evenings we sat for hours on the front porch chatting to people from around the world. It also worth noting that Faubourg Marigny/Bywater area has some excellent places to eat, The Joint, elizabeths, Schiro's to name but 3.
You will arrive as guests and leave as friends. This is the only place I would stay in New Orleans without question. I hope to return for a third time!
(only down side was the humidity and mosquitos in June!!)

Room Tip: room 8 was good, but the front 2 upstairs have a balcony
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We just came back from a fantastic time in New Orleans. Royal Street Courtyard is the perfect place to stay - quiet, beautiful rooms with high ceilings, a/c and a small fridge, great hosts who help you with everything you need to know, great neighborhood, off the tourist track - easygoing and comfortable. It's a short walk to Frenchmen Street and the great jazz clubs, another couple of blocks to the French Market and Quarter. I've stayed in N.O. many times and this was by far the best because we stayed here - it was like living in a cool N.O. neighborhood for a few days. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king room facing the street with balcony. The bed was incredibly comfortable.
Missouri
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was here for a meeting at the Conference Center. There are a number of hotels close to there, plus many more in the French Quarter. However, I decided to take a chance and book a stay at a well-reviewed B&B, the Royal St Courtyard. I don't mind corporate, chain-type hotels but I've found in many cities that B&Bs are less expensive, more hospitable, and more interesting.

From the airport, the hotel shuttle dropped me off right at the door. If the driver won't go there, ask for the Frenchmen hotel which is several blocks away but walkable. Phillip greeted me at the door and gave me an overview of the neighborhood, places to eat, things to see, etc.

My room was upstairs at the front with a balcony. I sat outside for a bit one afternoon but it was quite hot. The window A/C unit in the room kept everything cool indoors. I found the bed comfortable and the furnishings quite nice - not exactly antiques but better than standard hotel-issue. The bathroom was updated and contained a small refrigerator (!) which served double duty as a shelf for bathroom items and a shower stall.

I missed breakfast most days as I had to be at the conference early. The one day I ate there I had toast, peanut butter, and banana. It was continental style, self-serve. I wouldn't stay here if you're expecting a chef serving hot breakfasts. :)

The main issue is whether the location is appropriate for visiting New Orleans. I would say yes if you don't mind a mile or so walk. Royal St goes directly into the French Quarter, so if you start walking from this B&B you'll soon run into all the usual touristy areas. Or if you walk a few blocks, you can pick up the trolley which is inexpensive and takes you directly to the convention center. Or you can transfer and go to other areas. I ended up walking back and forth quite a few times which is good exercise, and there are various streets you can try for variety.

Is the neighborhood safe? I think so, although one cab driver warned me not to walk around at night. I saw quite a few people walking dogs or pushing strollers with babies, so it can't be that bad. In walking back after dark, I encountered inebriated people in the streets but no one who looked scary. In fact, people continue partying until morning. When I got up early to walk into town, there were a handful of people stumbling around figuring out how to get home. :)

New Orleans is a unique place to visit. Staying at a B&B makes it all the more memorable. Plus you get the advantage of knowledgeable hosts to offer advice and guidance. I've stayed at different hotels in NO on 4 other occasions, but I'll remember the Courtyard much more than the others. Give it a try!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
LONDON
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I choose to book a room in this b an b after reading all the positive reviews on the net. God bless Google. The Royal Street Courtyard is an absolutely superb guesthouse and the two owners are fantastic hosts.

Previously I had stayed all over New Orleans, from five star hotels like the Roosevelt to no stars like India house hostel and everything in between. The Royal Street Courtyard, is by far and away the class of the field. Every room I have stayed in here has had its own individual, delectable old world charm to it. They have rooms fit for a Marquis and even the more modest rooms in the servants quarters have great balconies and decks off them. They all l have an antique feel, and each room is spotless and has everything one would need, The beds and sheets are probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in and if you are anything like me you will have a hard time in finding the will to leave them and actually get out into town.

You hear much about southern hospitality in New Orleans,and I have met some great people in the South but as far as my experience goes southern hospitality reaches its ideal and high water mark with Phillip and David (the owners of the place). It is bespoke hospitality, tailored advice for whatever whim or fancy you feel to do from from day to day. In Phillip and David you have faultless guides. Their attention to detail is second to none and if there is any parade, festival or event worth knowing about in the area they will know about it. From the best places to eat down to what sauce to have with what dish, to the best vantage points to catch whatever festival or event happens to be occurring at that time, there is always something happening and they have the real insider information on whats going down in the town and if they don't know about it, its probably not worth knowing about, they are as generous with their knowledge and time as they are interesting, funny and kind. You can really leave google and your guide books at home, they are the only oracle you will need.

They Royal Courtyard is situated minutes walking distance from the best music and food in the city and is easy walking distance to the center of french quarter. But despite its proximity to the action, you can stand on the balconies and reflect over the rooftops of the area, or sit on the lush porch and listen to the trickle of the fountain and hear the wind chimes in the breeze, people in this city walk slow but sitting on the porch here, even flocks of birds seem to fly by in slow motion. You can wander off and do your own thing or chat with the owners, the guests, and the neighbours, everyone seems to be on first name terms and close friends. The whole guesthouse has an aura of transcendental calm, a true oasis, and the perfect place to rest before heading out into the whirlwind of tastes and sounds and celebration that is the city of New Orleans. A very special place in a very special city. As another reviewer put it, 'Why would you want to stay anywhere else?' Indeed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank LONDONARON
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Spent three nights in NOLA in a neat B&b.Perfect location for live music, wonderful neighborhood restaurants.Philip and David are exceptional innkeepers.They think of everything!After a late breakfast at Cake (oysters,eggs,biscuit,bacon and grits) about a block away,...upon arrival... Philip gave us our "orientation". A pre-marked map with all the good places.David is the coffee maker and it has just enough chicory to get you going.He is also a wonderful storyteller with lots of humor and local color.We walked to the streetcar, French Quarter,Bourbon Street and to several good bars, live music on Frenchmen Street and such good food!Everyone there seemed to be a repeat customer and I understand why.Don't miss out. Sharri M.

Room Tip: Ask Philip for what you need. I would accept any of the rooms on the lower floor since that is the a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent two nights here while driving from Houston to Philadelphia. We had a fantastic experience and would definitely stay here again. Philip, one of the owners was a wonderful host including a 20 minute 'orientation' to New Orleans when we arrived and fabulous restaurant recommendations. Our room was large with a very comfortable king sized bed, blissful air conditioning (NOLA is hot) and access to the front balcony. We did have to walk across the hallway to use our bathroom (which was private) - I would understand some people being uncomfortable with this but for us it was fine... the shower had amazing water pressure so that was a plus. The location is perfect, in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood, with a short walk to Frenchmen Street and the whole French Quarter. The only tiny drawback was the fact that breakfast wasn't much more than a typical motel-type continental breakfast. There was certainly nothing bad about it, but it wasn't a homemade breakfast like some B&Bs offer. All that being said we would certainly stay here again and recommend it to anyone else looking to have a wonderful stay in New Orleans.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple