“Fabulous B&B”
Review of Maison Perrier

Maison Perrier
Ranked #23 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I cannot wait to come back to New Orleans and stay at Maison Perrier! The location is perfect and very central, and it has all the amenities of a big hotel (wifi throughout with great service, clean, updated rooms, nice towels, etc) with the personal touches of a B&B. The room was lovely - very spacious with a super comfortable bed.

The common living/dining areas were very inviting and relaxing. From 5.30-6.30, you can enjoy a complimentary glass of wine and some lovely cheeses from the wonderful St James Cheese Co., which is a fun and unexpected added bonus. The breakfast is delicious and the perfect way to kick start your day, whether you want to quietly read the paper or chat with your fellow guests.

The owners, the staff, and even the other guests were friendly and welcoming without being overbearing. The introductory tour was very thorough, and Tom (the owner) was always on hand to answer any questions that arose. I am looking forward to staying again soon and bringing along the rest of my family. Maison Perrier is the best B&B I have ever experienced - fresh, friendly and charming!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SJlovesNola

Reviewed December 27, 2011

The Innkeepers, Tom and Patricia, were amazing, as usual. I've stayed with them a few times, and I love it each time. Breakfast is also great, although it is served in a narrow time-frame. If you're not naturally an early riser, set your alarm because you don't want to miss the praline french toast or creole eggs. Location is great- easy access to streetcar. If you don't mind walking, Magazine St is also easy. If you can bring your bike, definitely do it. Tom and Patricia are also very welcoming of my 28 lbs puggle. They are fantastic, and I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank badgebunny78
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Perfect host, great staff, and lovely restored rooms in the best part of NOLA. On the edge of the Garden District, just a few blocks from the St Charles streetcar that goes back and forth to French Quarter every 8 minutes, and in the other direction, a few blocks from the Magazine street corridor of great food and shopping in gentrified zone. We stayed in the Bea - lots of space with a wonderful balcony. All amenities are included, with hot and/or cold breakfast option, 24 hour open bar on honor system, wine & cheese hour, sunlit rooms with temperature controls, and best of all - a wonderful host that is on call by cell phone to give excellent, concise advice on just about anything local. Highly recommended - the best B&B that I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: The room named Bea was wonderful, with a balcony facing Marengo street.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Janis857
Reviewed November 20, 2011

If you're looking to spend some relaxing time in New Orleans, away from the noise and fanfare of the French Quarter, look no further than Maisson Perrier, located on the perimeter of the Garden District, about 20 minutues from the hustle and bustle of downtown. What makes this B&B stand out is the hospitality of the proprieters, Tom and Patricia, and their welcoming staff - Michael, the very capable and accommodating cook, and Jackie, the friendly and efficient housekeeper. All are so down to earth, outgoing and friendly we felt as if we were visiting relatives and not merely guests.

The common rooms, while not exactly plush or lavish (which wouldn't be in keeping with the "charm" of NOLA), were inviting and comfortable for relaxing upon returning from our various walks, bicycle tours and evenings out, to early morning awakenings to simply read the morning paper - two of which are available: the local New Orleans Picayune and our favorite, the NY Times, both of which are kept out on the kitchen counter throughout the day.

One of the best features of Masion Perrier is the fact that the kitchen is kept open to guests 24/7; the adjoining large common room, complete with large screen TV, assortment of books, travel information and games, is also equipped with a large fully stocked honor bar complete with assortment of wine, beer, soft drinks, water and ice. There's even a refrigeraton in which we were welcome to store some homemade gumbo a visiting friend from Mobile brought to us - for which Michael showed me where plenty of bowls were available for warming up in the microwave in the kitchen. Also in the kitchen each night were some of the most delicious, moist bundt cakes we've ever had the pleasure of eating, along with tasty brownines set out each day in the common room. The coffee pots are filled and ready to be brewed the next morning; guests are invited to help themselves should they like to start their day before the cold breakfast assortment is set out at 7:30 with the hot breakfast, served in the dining area next to the kitchen with 4 tables, accommodating up to 16 guests (if memory serves, it may be more) as well as the large kitchen table.

There are plenty of outdoor seating options as well, parking is ample in the safe neighborhood where some lovely and recently renovated homes sit alongside homes that are a bit more downtrodden; the same of which I was surprised could be said of the more stately Garden District homes - but again, this adds to the allure of the city. The location is also an easy walk to Magazine St with its array of shops and restaurants as well as Mike's Bike Shop where we enjoyed renting bicycles for a self-guided day tour. Commander's Palace is in the area, one of the more delightful dining experiences we had during our stay.

The advantage of the quiet location is also a bit of a disadvantage as we found it to be a costly expense each time we traveled downtown; the trolley was simply too unreliable and took too long (an hour one way) to be used after the first attempt. While taxis arrived at the B&B promptly, each trip averaged anywhere from $12-15 without tip; many drivers from the downtown area were clueless as to the location coming back. My advice: carry directions and try to limit trips if at all possible.

Another small suggestion: the wire hangers in the closets were rather flimsy. Heavier items, such as jackets and some trousers, could not be hung up as a result. A few wooden hangers would be helpful to have, and perhaps a runner along the wooden staircase to help cut down on noise. But those are two minor suggestions - as far as hospitality, there is nothing lacking at Maison Perrier.

Room Tip: Only saw two, loved my son and DIL's room in the front of the house - very charming and had a pr...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We just returned from our delightful stay at this wonderful Bed and Breakfast. The entire experience was first rate. What impressed me most was the helpful caring approach the owners take. They have a beautifully restored property which is immaculate. Breakfast is delicious but that's the material what really counts is they'll treat you like royalty from the minute you arrive till you depart. We'll definitely return someday soon!
Paul & Rosa Alexander

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rmsg_1
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed here for our honeymoon, attracted by what looked like charming period rooms & a good location. Our expectations were easily exceeded! We splurged on one of the best rooms, the Jasmine, which got us a private balcony and Jacuzzi tub. The room was lovely, large, with period furniture. The bath was luxurious, with thick & soft towels and robes. Breakfasts were spectacularly good. The location is safe and very convenient - just 3 short blocks from the St. Charles streetcar, which we used when we went in to the French Quarter - and close to shops and restaurants on Magazine St. (The location is not actually in the Garden District, but a little farther west, in Truro or more generically "uptown"). Our hosts were very helpful, and their recommendations for restaurants were spot-on. This was a honeymoon trip, and we enjoyed Maison Perrier and New Orleans so much that we are already talking about returning for an anniversary visit!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank reluctantconsultant
Reviewed September 27, 2011

When I must stay someplace else, that is not my home, there are three things I want in my lodging: a bathroom nicer than my own, a breakfast better than what I might make for myself, and a touch of personality. The Maison Perrier delivered on every front.

Patricia and Tom are marvelous hosts, consistently going the extra step to make you feel like an honored guest. When I called to make my reservation, they patiently listened for what I needed and made recommendations that fit my needs and budget. Upon arrival, the tour showed a beautiful home and well appointed rooms.

I settled in with a home made brownie, a glass of wine from the honor bar, and was delighted to sit on the balcony of the Dolly room and spend some time in a rocking chair. The restaurant on Patricia's recommendation was stellar. The sheets and towels were some of the softest I had ever felt.

And the breakfast was superior. On a Monday morning, even the humble biscuits, scrambled eggs, and potato casserole were excellent.

I can't wait to come back and stay here with my husband!

Room Tip: The Dolly room was a delight!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo