“Aulde Lang Syne”

Ranked #26 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Aulde Lang Syne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

What a wonderful time and memory I will have from now on! My partner and I stayed in one of the cottages and we fell in love with your place. Kurt's way is one of the utmost kindness and care given to his guest and we appreciate your taking us in at the last minute. I had the best New Year experience in my life and your B&B was a huge part of it. I was especially impressed with the detail of decoration for the season and as others have said, my expectations were greatly exceeded. Thank you for your hospitality and sharing your beautiful property with us. We will definitely be coming back. Love to you and Happy New Year!! - Rob and Mark, Oklahoma City, OK

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thanks for the review! I'm so glad that we were able to take you in last minute, and save you from "that other place!" ha! Sometimes last minute changes work out for the best. I know it did for us. We look forward to seeing you often in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed staying here with a group of friends on my first visit to New Orleans! Everyone treated us so well, the breakfasts were amazingly wonderful and my room #1 really gave me a sense of living in an historic home. Thanks, guys for everything and good luck to you this year. Our cabbie told us we need to come back for Halloween...sounds like a plan!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us while you were in Nola celebrating your birthday! You and your friends were awesome and we look forward to you coming back.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Like most people, my husband and I have stayed in a number of B&Bs during the years we've traveled. In general, most are quite comfortable, but Maison de Macarty is a cut above the rest. Room was lovely, breakfast was outstanding and the owners were very warm and welcoming. We had a wonderful time and plan to stay here again when we're next in New Orleans.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kristie B
Thank you for the review! We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in mid-November; from the moment we arrived we were warmly welcomed and treated royally throughout our stay. Kurt and Curtis went out of their way to be helpful, particularly in helping us stay in touch with sick relatives in Florida and England. We loved the freshly-made breakfasts, and the delicious cakes or biscuits - different ones each day - made by Curtis. Our room was lovely, with a very comfortable bed; we were able to enjoy sitting and relaxing in the peaceful nooks and crannies in the well-tended garden. The neighbourhood is quiet and attractive, and quite a contrast to the bustle of New Orleans. The French quarter is easily accessible, Frenchman street is a pleasant 30 minutes walk away; there is also bus or taxi. We would recommend Maison de Macarty unreservedly. (Louise and Dave, England)

Room Tip: Each room is well-described on the website
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
You two were delightful to have around! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry you had to be so distracted by family illnesses. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you sometime in the future.
Vancouver, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for thanksgiving. I couldn't wait to get up for breakfast every day--this is a feat because I am not a morning person. And I work nights. The breakfast experience is characterized by wonderful food and an intimate social experience hosted by Kurt. The house is beautiful and the rooms are neat and clean. Room number 1 has a balcony, soaring ceiling, and is well furnished.

The location is a good choice for those who want to avoid staying in the French Quarter-or the anonymous experience of a larger or chain type of hotel. When the weather is right the pool and wrap around deck areas will be a blast.

This is an old home in an emerging neighborhood so the floors are a bit creaky and the water pressure is not great but these things are well worth sacrificing for the overall experience. Stay here, and you will not be disappointed.

If you rent a car there is a parking area right close to the house. Use one of the complimentary bikes to go into the quarter, marigny, or garden district. Open bar available, organic bath products, yummy snacks, comfy bedding, and more!

4 Thank Meliza T
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thanks for coming and spending Turkey Day with us! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had discovered Maison de Macarty by accident, just browsing websites, a couple years ago (Jazzfest and Thanksgiving 2011) right after the prior owners Will & Loren had finished renovating it and reopened. I stayed there twice under their care, and it was awesome (I wrote a prior review). When they sold it, I had already booked a return trip (for French Quarter Fest 2012) because they made me love the place so - but I admit I had some trepidation as I wasn't sure how much it would change with the new owners (Kurt & Warren) and if I'd like those changes.

Now, after three separate stays there this year (FQ Fest, Jazzfest, and Thanksgiving) I can honestly say that there must simply be a magic about this place, because it attracts wonderful owners AND wonderful guests alike. While I miss seeing Will & Loren, I have come to also think of Kurt (the owner that is usually onsite) and Curtis (the chef) as friends. It is hard not to, when they are so welcoming and friendly and fun, as are their friends and family who come by to help out (shout out to Brandon and Matt).

The place itself has retained all the things I loved about it (comfy beds, awesome neighborhood, excellent breakfasts and snacks, the opportunity to meet great guests - who return - so it's always kind of like a reunion!), and added some new things (like the free bikes to ride around, and the bar so I can make myself a drink - which this past time, had the wonderful St. Germain which was a totally unexpected and sweet gesture) that I have also very much come to appreciate. I've brought three different friends with me on different trips, and they've all felt the same and marveled that I'd managed to find such a gem - both in the property itself, and the individuals associated with it.

Stay here - but not during those times when I need the room :)

Room Tip: I have stayed in Room 2 (small but sweet, and my personal favorite when I am traveling solo), Room 1...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank OlyMaryG
The single best thing about owning a B&B is meeting and becoming friends with people like Mary. Thanks for the review and I'm looking forward to seeing you in a few months.
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Staying here is kind of like staying in a wealthy friend's house (or so I imagine). The parlor, breakfast room and kitchen are open to guests at all times for drinks, ice, coffee and socializing. The honor bar and Curtis' fresh coconut macaroons are an excellent touch. Kurt (one of the owners) was welcoming and helpful and while we didn't have any issues with our room or anything else, I suspect he would have taken care of any such as quickly as possible.

Breakfast almost killed us each day, but we managed to clean our plates. Fresh fruit, homemade beignets, poppyseed waffles, praline bacon... I can't even remember what all we ate but I think I'm due for an angioplasty. Curtis will address food allergies - just let him or Kurt know in advance. The only downside was the coffee which was kind of ordinary. Not bad, but not something to write home about either. I'm a dark roast, strong brew, French press kind of person, though.

Our room was at the back of the house and was comfortably decorated and very quiet. This is an old house with creaky floors and cracks around the doors, so we occasionally heard the people in the adjoining rooms. No one was rowdy, so no big deal. I suspect that the pool area could get noisy during the hot months, but it wasn't a big draw in November. The bed was decked out with cotton sheets and comfortable pillows. The mattress was a bit soft for my taste but that didn't interfere with my ability to sleep like a rock during my entire stay.

The neighborhood looks a little sketchy as you drive in. Don't let this phase you. The Bywater neighborhood is a work in progress but all is moving in a very positive direction. I would much rather stay here than in the French Quarter.

Overall, we were very pleased and hope we have a chance to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 which is at the back of the house. It's a soothing green room with a queen b...
1 Thank JennyBees
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry that we contributed to a heart condition, but that's how we roll in the deep south! I'll be sure to let Curtis know he's doing his job! We look forward to your next visit. (and we'll have the paramedics on stand-by)