“Treated royally”
Review of Maison de Macarty

Maison de Macarty
Ranked #25 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in mid-November; from the moment we arrived we were warmly welcomed and treated royally throughout our stay. Kurt and Curtis went out of their way to be helpful, particularly in helping us stay in touch with sick relatives in Florida and England. We loved the freshly-made breakfasts, and the delicious cakes or biscuits - different ones each day - made by Curtis. Our room was lovely, with a very comfortable bed; we were able to enjoy sitting and relaxing in the peaceful nooks and crannies in the well-tended garden. The neighbourhood is quiet and attractive, and quite a contrast to the bustle of New Orleans. The French quarter is easily accessible, Frenchman street is a pleasant 30 minutes walk away; there is also bus or taxi. We would recommend Maison de Macarty unreservedly. (Louise and Dave, England)

Room Tip: Each room is well-described on the website
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

You two were delightful to have around! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry you had to be so distracted by family illnesses. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you sometime in the future.

There are newer reviews for Maison de Macarty

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for thanksgiving. I couldn't wait to get up for breakfast every day--this is a feat because I am not a morning person. And I work nights. The breakfast experience is characterized by wonderful food and an intimate social experience hosted by Kurt. The house is beautiful and the rooms are neat and clean. Room number 1 has a balcony, soaring ceiling, and is well furnished.

The location is a good choice for those who want to avoid staying in the French Quarter-or the anonymous experience of a larger or chain type of hotel. When the weather is right the pool and wrap around deck areas will be a blast.

This is an old home in an emerging neighborhood so the floors are a bit creaky and the water pressure is not great but these things are well worth sacrificing for the overall experience. Stay here, and you will not be disappointed.

If you rent a car there is a parking area right close to the house. Use one of the complimentary bikes to go into the quarter, marigny, or garden district. Open bar available, organic bath products, yummy snacks, comfy bedding, and more!

4  Thank Meliza T
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thanks for coming and spending Turkey Day with us! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had discovered Maison de Macarty by accident, just browsing websites, a couple years ago (Jazzfest and Thanksgiving 2011) right after the prior owners Will & Loren had finished renovating it and reopened. I stayed there twice under their care, and it was awesome (I wrote a prior review). When they sold it, I had already booked a return trip (for French Quarter Fest 2012) because they made me love the place so - but I admit I had some trepidation as I wasn't sure how much it would change with the new owners (Kurt & Warren) and if I'd like those changes.

Now, after three separate stays there this year (FQ Fest, Jazzfest, and Thanksgiving) I can honestly say that there must simply be a magic about this place, because it attracts wonderful owners AND wonderful guests alike. While I miss seeing Will & Loren, I have come to also think of Kurt (the owner that is usually onsite) and Curtis (the chef) as friends. It is hard not to, when they are so welcoming and friendly and fun, as are their friends and family who come by to help out (shout out to Brandon and Matt).

The place itself has retained all the things I loved about it (comfy beds, awesome neighborhood, excellent breakfasts and snacks, the opportunity to meet great guests - who return - so it's always kind of like a reunion!), and added some new things (like the free bikes to ride around, and the bar so I can make myself a drink - which this past time, had the wonderful St. Germain which was a totally unexpected and sweet gesture) that I have also very much come to appreciate. I've brought three different friends with me on different trips, and they've all felt the same and marveled that I'd managed to find such a gem - both in the property itself, and the individuals associated with it.

Stay here - but not during those times when I need the room :)

Room Tip: I have stayed in Room 2 (small but sweet, and my personal favorite when I am traveling solo), Room 1...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank OlyMaryG

The single best thing about owning a B&B is meeting and becoming friends with people like Mary. Thanks for the review and I'm looking forward to seeing you in a few months.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Staying here is kind of like staying in a wealthy friend's house (or so I imagine). The parlor, breakfast room and kitchen are open to guests at all times for drinks, ice, coffee and socializing. The honor bar and Curtis' fresh coconut macaroons are an excellent touch. Kurt (one of the owners) was welcoming and helpful and while we didn't have any issues with our room or anything else, I suspect he would have taken care of any such as quickly as possible.

Breakfast almost killed us each day, but we managed to clean our plates. Fresh fruit, homemade beignets, poppyseed waffles, praline bacon... I can't even remember what all we ate but I think I'm due for an angioplasty. Curtis will address food allergies - just let him or Kurt know in advance. The only downside was the coffee which was kind of ordinary. Not bad, but not something to write home about either. I'm a dark roast, strong brew, French press kind of person, though.

Our room was at the back of the house and was comfortably decorated and very quiet. This is an old house with creaky floors and cracks around the doors, so we occasionally heard the people in the adjoining rooms. No one was rowdy, so no big deal. I suspect that the pool area could get noisy during the hot months, but it wasn't a big draw in November. The bed was decked out with cotton sheets and comfortable pillows. The mattress was a bit soft for my taste but that didn't interfere with my ability to sleep like a rock during my entire stay.

The neighborhood looks a little sketchy as you drive in. Don't let this phase you. The Bywater neighborhood is a work in progress but all is moving in a very positive direction. I would much rather stay here than in the French Quarter.

Overall, we were very pleased and hope we have a chance to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 which is at the back of the house. It's a soothing green room with a queen b...
1  Thank JennyBees
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thanks for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry that we contributed to a heart condition, but that's how we roll in the deep south! I'll be sure to let Curtis know he's doing his job! We look forward to your next visit. (and we'll have the paramedics on stand-by)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at M de M and we loved every second of it. The owners, Dr. warren and Kurt, were very kind and knowledgeable about the town with great recommendations. Breakfast, in the hands of Curtis, was every day a master piece.
The house is beautiful and along with its innkeepers, you are surely going to feel at home. Also, major bonus points for letting us borrow bicycles. NOLA is a different town if you can bike around.

The B&B is in the up-and-coming neighborhood of Bywater, which is a $10 taxi from the French Quarter, or a 15 min bike ride. It's a great neighborhood but it is more on the residential side. I personally, preferred staying there than in the chaos that is the French Quarter.

Will certainly be back! Thank you guys!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
BigEasyTraveler1, Owner at Maison de Macarty, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Thanks! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to work off the extra breakfast calories by taking the bikes. Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at Maison de Macarty for my husband's 30th birthday and it was absolutely perfect! Kurt even helped us pull off the surprise (I had friends coming on the trip and my husband didn't know). The house is gorgeous, the food is delicious, and the entire staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. Kurt and Warren do a fabulous job all around! I don't think we will ever stay in a chain hotel after this visit, Maison de Macarty will be our go to spot for all future NOLA trips!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thanks for spending the birthday weekend with us! It was fun helping you celebrate. See you soon!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I just got home from a short trip to New Orleans. We found Maison De Macarty though a TripAdvisor search and decided to give it a try. And I can honestly say that the reviews did not give it justice! I was blown away in every way possible.
The rooms were perfect. They were comfortable but with an old world feel that completely fit the overall aura of building. it was so beautiful and so well decorated. It gave off such a feeling of warmth and comfort that we immediately felt like we were at home.
They are excellently located with everything close. Walking to the French Quarter is easy. And there are tons of restaurants and sights in the immediate area. that are a short walk away.
The food...was....INCREDIBLE. I know it's only breakfast, but everything I ate was so ridiculously good. Whether it was the fresh muffins, the omelets, or even the toast it was uber delicious. BUT THE BACON. I might quite possibly sell my immortal soul for the Bacon. It was coated with brown sugar and Pecans and it was quite possible one on the most incredible things I have even eaten.
So the house and grounds were beautiful, the location was great and the food was insanely good, But what sets this place above the rest is the service. The service is absolutely amazing. I have never encountered people who were so genuinely excited to make our stay the best possible. I felt like everyone cared about us and wanted us to be safe and happy not only while we were at the location, but throughout our whole vacation.
I recommend this place to anyone and everyone! We originally spent one night outside the city and were going to come back and stay inside the French Quarter but after Staying here there was nowhere else. Thanks to Kurt and Curtis for making our trip so comfortable and enjoyable. You guys are the best!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

You guys were wicked amazing too! We had a great time having you stay with us and hope you will come back soon. Thanks for the review.