“The Bottom of the Bottom: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”
Review of Hotel St. Helene

Hotel St. Helene
Ranked #117 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 26, 2013

IN 20+ TRIPS TO NEW ORLEANS, THIS IS THE WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECEIVED!!!
This is the worst place I have ever stayed. It wasn't that the location was that bad, nor nasty, nor cheap. It was the fact that the staff could care less about what was wrong.
First off, I tried to book the room by calling the hotel, and the hotel group on three occasions, and was told that the computer was down. I eventually booked through Hotels.com.
Upon arrival, the air conditioning did not work adequately, not good for anyone in New Orleans. The staff was notified and their response was that it worked well enough, followed by a symposium on how to read the thermostat. I could care less about the reading on the thermostat. If I'm too hot for a top sheet, then the air is not adequate.
The cable was out, when we asked about it, we were told that it was out all over the quarter. This was simply untrue, I can only speculate that the bill was unpaid.
There weren't enough towels, one wash-cloth for two adults, in a hot room in New Orleans without TV.
When all of this was discussed with the young lady at the front desk, she became very confrontational, and proceeded to offend my wife. When she was told that was not ok to deride us, she replied by stating that she allowed to have an opinion and she was "merely stating" her opinion.
I also need to add that the rooms weren't clean either: dust in the bathroom vents, black mold on the vent over the sitting area, and a hole in the ceiling by the ceiling fan.
We stayed only one day of the two I paid for and rented a room in another hotel, which had air conditioning and cable with multiple wash-cloths and towels. The staff acted like they could care less about the fact that we were dissatisfied nor that we were leaving. As of the time of my writing this the second day had not been refunded. Based on my dealings with them so far, I really don't expect them to do what's right.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James B

Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Got great last minute rate on booking.com but make sure to check your check out receipt upin check out. I almost paid full price! Clean room. Egyptian cotton sheets nice big towels. Modern decor in historic registered building. Next door is famous Napoleon house that was built solely for Napoleon for exile had he not gone to Elba island. Check out old pharmacy now museum flanking the other side of building. Very cool rich in history. Room unfortunately smelled of urine because of sewage problem? It was very clean though. Spotless almost. We are somewhat local about an hour and half away so we like to sample the different historic hotels in the quarter. We still like Olivier house on toulouse. Closer to bourbon. More quaint and cheaper with fridge and nice public parlor and pool downstairs. And we like chateau also on charges street that has a better courtyard with bigger pool and same historic ambiance and location. St. Helene had good coffee and basic continental breakfast by the pool that was good. Good review but will probably revert back to old standby, the Olivier house because of its charm, location, and price when visiting the French quarter bimonthly.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I absolutely loved the courtyard balcony room!! I slept with the door open (3rd floor room), and the sound of the pool waterfall lulled me to sleep. The shower is massive. 2 people can easily fit. It's only a couple of blocks from Bourbon St. Down side...There is no free parking, but from what I hear, that's common down town.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, do not get a French Quarter balcony room. You can hear all the street traffic...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2013

First I must start by saying that the customer service was outstanding. We had reason to find out. When we checked in, we inquired whether the room had a balcony, and was told it did not. After parking the car the young lady told us a balcony room upgrade was available for an additional fee. We chose to take the room sight unseen after having already brought our bags to the non-balcony room. Upon check-in we were made aware that there would be a $250 charge if we smoked in the room. Neither of us are smokers so no problem. The problem arose when we opened the door to the balcony room. Solid wall of cigarette smoke. We even found a make-shift ashtray and someone's lighter on the balcony! We told the front desk and they took off the upgrade charge and had someone come and change the linen. We propped the door to the hallway open as well as the balcony door to air it out. Long story short, no go. And after we closed the room back up to go to dinner we found that the air conditioner did not work either. The young lady at the front desk moved us back to our original room and was very cordial. So, great service, but the rooms were small and needed a little maintenance.

Room Tip: Before unpacking, check A/C and make sure you can sleep in that room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here last year on a trip down for jazz fest. The Hotel is old but so is the city - thats why we love it. There is a little courtyard and pool in the back. The continental breakfast is nothing to write home about but there is a great dinner just down the street. The room was clean and comfortable. And really how much time are you spending in your room when you are in the Big Easy? There was a little balcony that overlooked the courtyard. Oh - no elevator if thats a problem - it wasnt for us. The best part about this hotel is location - you are close to Burboun Street but far enough that you cant hear it. Acme Oyester house is steps away along with one of our favorite spots - NOLA! You are in perfect walking distance of just about everything French Quarter and not that far for a stroll up to Frenchmen Street. We will definately stay here again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The atmosphere of this hotel is absolutely charming. However, boutique is the operative word. The rooms are tiny, with big beds and small bathrooms. Luckily on this trip it was just myself in one room, so that was all perfectly fine. The staff were incredibly accommodating, my group and I didn't check in until close to 2 AM due to travel issues and the concierge was very helpful. I was booked in a beautiful suite with a balcony on the first night (it's all about the balcony's in NOLA), however I ended up downgrading because the noise from the street was too much for me. There was also a garbage truck making it's rounds that I could hear screeching for close to an hour. The location, however, is excellent. This hotel is situated in the heart of the French Quarter and Bourbon St. is just a few minute's walk away.

Room Tip: My advice to you: book a room in the middle of the hotel, you won't have a view of any sort, but...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Arrived and hour early, They were happy to allow us to place our bags in our room. The front desk told us that the fresh bath linens had not arrived for the day but they would bring them up upon delivery. Thank you for not asking us to wait! We had some where to be. Yea! Hotel was a recently renovated. Combination of Historic and contemporary! Comfy beds, clean rooms, nice view of the court yard, central to everything. the continental breakfast was nice. Fresh, hot Community coffee!!! Kudos to the parking attendants at the Omni Hotel. We chose to park @ the Omni Hotel ( directly across the street from the Hotel St. Helen.) Also wonderful customer service.
would stay again!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room either facing the street or the court yard. Great views! Enjoy the french quarter e...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank flossiemcgehee
General M, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Flossiemcgehee!
It was our absolute pleasure to assist with an early check-in. It is our goal to fit the schedule of all of our valued guests, and it looks like we succeeded. I do apologize that the linen had not arrived when expected; there were multiple street closures due to heavy rain. We have since worked on a few back-up plans to ensure no burden is placed on our most valued guests. We look forward to your speedy return!
Kenny Marrs – General Manager – French Quarter Hotel Group