“What a find!”
Review of Hotel St. Helene

Hotel St. Helene
Ranked #117 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Hotel St. Helene is in the perfect spot for visiting New Orleans. In the French Quarter, but not in Bourbon Street, so not noisy.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
The rooms were newly renovated by the looks.
If there was any negative: I would have to say the walls are thin and you can hear "everything". But a small price to pay, considering you are hardly in your room with everything there is to see and do in New Orleans.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank kiwi_in_dc

Reviewed February 21, 2012

We checked in 2 days after the remodel...had a wonderful stay! Our room was cozy. Freshly painted and clean. Location is PERFECT! Walking distance from all the French Quarter Landmarks. We loved the old doors, old bricks, courtyard...it would be great to have a small bar in pool area...other than it not being completely remodeled - everything was great!

Room Tip: If you are looking for spa services and "fancy" New Orleans - you need to stay at a big ch...
3  Thank plb2
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Pros:

Great Location.
Cute Hotel.
History (Built for Napoleon Bonaparte!)
Nice Shower.
Minimalist Decor.

Cons:

MANAGEMENT!
A/C is broken.
Paint Fumes a month after remodel.
Constant Lies and Deception.

Stayed 2 nights in late January 2012.

Arrived to New Orleans after an 8 hour drive from Austin. Grabbed a quick bite to eat and decided to check in to grab some shut eye before heading out to dinner. Location is superb! Located right next to the Napoleon House, a block from the W Hotel, and 4 blocks to the Cathedral and Jackson Square. We did our research and knew what to expect. Hotel was recently remodeled and had a cute minimalist motif. So far so good. We were greeted by a very kind doorman/bellhop. We made our way to the front desk. A heavier set young lady in an LSU sweatshirt (Jennifer? Jessica?) proceeded to check us in. She did not greet us. She said "hold on" stepped outside to finish a cigarette she had left outside. She came back in a few seconds later and said "Whats your name" in a very annoyed manner. We gave her our name and she began typing, pulled up our reservation and asks for ID and CC. Hands them back. We sign paperwork and are given a room key. She told us "We just opened the first week of January so the rooms still smell like paint. Just turn on the A/C and the smell will go away." (Lie #1) We made it up to the room, the sound of the pool was very relaxing and our excitement began to build. We had the Deluxe room with the extra seating area. It was located on the second floor (Room 204) right in front of the stairs. As soon as we opened the door the fumes engulfed us. Room was very warm at 78 degrees with the A/C on OFF. I proceeded to turn on the A/C as instructed. We checked out the room and were pleasantly surprised (we were prepared for the worst.) The extra sitting area does not have lighting and was pitch dark. (We had read a review on this and didnt mind.) We noticed that the room was getting warmer by the minute. Now at 80 degrees. I made sure the thermostat was on A/C and not Heat. I then called the front desk. This is where it turns interesting. The girl who checked us in told us to leave the A/C on and that it will cool up in a few minutes. (Lie #2) 15 minutes later and 82 degrees, I turn off the thermostat and call again. Same girl from the Front Desk : "We only have on A/C unit in the hotel and you messing with your thermostat is throwing off the whole hotels system. (Lie #3) Just keep it off and open your door, its a nice day out." Sorry but I am not leaving my door open in the heart of the French Quarter while I take a nap. I go downstairs and explain to her that something must be done. She sends up the bellhop to do exactly what I had done to no avail. The bellhop was very well mannered and nice and did try to help. I go downstairs for the second time to try to find a solution. Young lady was clearly not very educated in customer service and was beginning to put the blame on me. I asked if it was possible to be given a different room. She said the hotel was sold out (Lie #4) I remained calm and noticed that she had blocked me out since she was not listening nor willing to help. I calmly asked for the manager of the hotel. She stated she was the manager. I then asked or a District manager or chain manager since its a boutique chain. She stated there wasn't any. I calmly asked for her boss. She wrote down a number on a post it note and handed it to me. I dialed it. Disconnected. I was determined. I asked her once again for the correct number of her boss. She called and handed me the phone and it was a voicemail. I did not leave a voicemail and told her I needed to talk to management besides her. She called one more time and success. I got connected to a wonderful young lady in the booking department. I gave her a rundown of the issue and promised to call me within the hour with a resolution. An hour later I was given another room facing the pool. New Room was at 76 degrees. I did not bother touching the A/C unit and left the balcony doors open to cool down the room. The whole time we came across the young lady at the front desk, she would give us a rude glance.

The day we checked out was completely different. We had another young lady who was EXTREMELY KIND and even held our bags since our driver was running an hour behind .

6  Thank marcovald
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Horrible, is the correct word for this experience. We had 3 couples on our trip right after renovations. All A/C's were broken upon check in and we were not informed of this problem. Management didn't offer to relocate us in one of thier 5 other hotels. The smell of paint fumes was awful and told desk manager and that it had recently painted. Spoke with other guest at the hotel and they stated the same thing about the A/C, paint and also about the elevator not working. We were constantly lied to about our A/C NOT working and we were told to put our A/C on 72 degrees for it to work. We would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

Reviewed February 2, 2012

This hotel was outstanding. When making my reservation I contacted the hotel front desk to inquire about the negative comments and ratings seen on some rating sites. She advised that this hotel was remodeled and recently reopened after the Katrina hurricane. It has only been open for several weeks. I was pleasantly surprised by the quaintness, cleanliness and great staff. The doorman / bellman assisted us with our bags and by the time I had checked in he had some of the most important articles out on the dresser for our immediate use. I was ready for a martini. A small but comfortable room, black wood floors, stark white paint, shuttered french doors on one side of the room accented the minimalistic decor of a wall mounted 36" flat screen TV, Queen bed, two wall mounted side tables with lamps and a black 4 drawer dresser. No wall hangings to confuse the dweller. 14' ceilings and a period ceiling fan completed the decor. The bathroom consisted of a modern step-in marble shower with glass enclosure. Small but certainly adequate. Bathroom and dressing area floors were white marble. A striking contrast to the black and white room decor. The manager explained that they were in the process of selecting amenities for the room and purveyors for selected free soaps, shampoos and body lotions. The white cotton down bed cover and high count white cotton sheets were a wonderful addition. There are two negative issues; WIFI costs $5.95 per day and parking costs $39 per day. All in all, a great small hotel for the price. I travel extensively with my profession, have for 40 years - I found this hotel to be just what I was seeking - not plush, not in the same class as the 4 or 5 star internationally known hotels but just a wonderful, small place to unwind and enjoy the French Quarter without all the noise and partying folks.

Room Tip: Suggest an "inside room" or a "courtyard view" room.
2  Thank Gary B
Reviewed January 27, 2012

This hotel needs the positive review - because most of the reviews are years old and outdated.
I went to Hotel St. Helene the week after the renovation.

Its on the best street in the neighborhood. i am not a fan of Bourbon street bc its too loud and Royal street also has a lot of foot traffic. But one more block and you are on this quiet and cleaner street.

The staff is very very nice and accomodating. I walked in on the day of, and they were really helpful and up-beat.

The rooms are just the way I like them - minimal and very clean. All the fixtures are updated.

They do not have cable. They should .. and they might improve this.

Also - the room with a window is the way to go. I get claustrophobic and some of the rooms don't have windows. Although some might not mind this .. I do. Again, I expressed this and the staff was incredibly accommodating.

Overall - I enjoyed being here.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back with a window!
1  Thank Hailiesong
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The Hotel Ste. Helene is a recently renovated small boutique hotel located two blocks off Bourbon Street between Jackson Square and Canal Street. You couldn't ask for a better location, and the price was very reasonable the weekend we were there. First, the good news: the hotel has just completed a major renovation and re-opened this month (January 2012). The renovation was tastefully done in a black and white color scheme with simple furniture and comfortable queen size beds. There are large flat screen TVs mounted on the wall. The baths have marble floors and a marble walk-in shower. The rooms are small, as are many in the French Quarter. The staff was very friendly and helpful, however, we certainly had our share of issues. The hotel has about 20 rooms on three floors built around an enclosed atrium space with an open stair, We had a "deluxe" room on the third floor, which had a raised 100 sf sitting alcove. However, the sitting alcove had only one chair and a small 2-drawer chest (which was the only chest) in the room. There was no light in the alcove (natural or artificial) making it impossible to use for anything but storing suitcases. Additionally, the elevator was not yet in service, necessitating carrying luggage up 2 flights of stairs. Our 2 biggest problems were ventilation and noise. The thermostat and HVAC system was incapable of cooling. Regardless of what the thermostat was set on, the room temperature got warmer. We ended up just turning the system off, This was a problem in a least 3 of the rooms. We were first checked into Room 304, and the room was warm even though the thermostat was set on Cool and 68. The ceiling fan didn't work and the TV didn't work. So, the clerk moved us to the room next door, 303, The only improvement was that the TV worked. We had the same issue with the AC system, and the ceiling fan worked, but was unuseable, because it wobbled and make a terrible noise whenever we turned it on. My sister stayed in a room on the second floor and had the same issue with the AC system, but at least her fan worked. And then there was the noise - any noise or conversation in the hallway and atrium area was easily heard inside the room, which was often a problem in the early hours of the morning with people returning to their rooms after an evening drinking on Bourbon Street. Some of the issues can be easily corrected by the maintenance staff and the addition of a lamp in the sitting area, but I'm not sure there is a solution to the noise.

Room Tip: Forgo the "deluxe" room and get a room near the end of the corridor which may be quieter.