“Wonderful value for a great first B&B experience!”

Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #35 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“Wonderful value for a great first B&B experience!”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My little family of three wanted to take our summer vacation in NOLA to do the Audubon Experience, but didn't want to stay right at the quarter due to the often higher prices charged to stay there. We booked with Beatriz for last weekend and I'm SO happy we did. She gave us the perfect room to accommodate us, and was informative long before our stay. She called me the week of just to let me know that she would be out of town on her own little vacation, but that there would be someone there to greet us. We arrived and were never kept waiting, checked right in, and we're given an immediate tour of the facilities.
My first reaction was to the security: AMAZING. It's not located in a "bad" part of town, however you still like to know that your vehicle will be secure being parked for two days. 6-foot high+ iron privacy fence with key access and this included parking our car on site (for no extra charge!) A rarity in NOLA.
The room was nice and cool when we arrived and clean! We were happy to have cable as the Olympics had just begun that night :) The only tiny issue I had with the room at all was water pressure, however I'm quite sure that isn't due to the fault of the inn, but most likely the area we were staying. The air flow is more limited at night outside the rooms so it can get a bit musty should you walk down the hall. But in the morning everything is back to full speed and fresh.
Breakfast was a God-send as well! So many choices including breads, cereal, juices, cake and fruits. Another big money saver on top of an already great value! The bus and trolley stops are a block and a half up on St Charles and you'll have no trouble catching one to wherever you need to go. Restaurants are at the same corner and we ate dinner at two of them. Delich!
Thank you to Beatriz and the wonderful staff left in charge in her absence!! We will return and can't wait to see them again!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Jadeyes7878

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My aunts and I stayed at the Fairchild on 8/5/12 and 8/6/12. We really enjoyed our stay and Beatriz made sure we were comfortable. The property is old, but that is one of its attractions. If you want to stay in a plain vanilla cookie-cutter room, go to a chain establishment. If you’re looking for a place with character and charm, book the Fairchild. Both of the rooms we occupied were clean and well kept. We had maid service and fresh towels daily. The beds were comfortable and we had plenty of hot water and AC. The breakfast consisted of more food than the standard continental and everything was fresh. We loved the neighborhood and had no problem with parking on the street. Beatriz gave us a lot of insight about New Orleans’ attractions which helped in planning our days out. I would definitely stay here again if I return to the city. Thanks for a great time Beatriz!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank eugenia_johnson
Oakland Park, Florida, USA
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fairchild House July 22 - 25, 2012. The stay was wonderful and the hospitality even better. Beatriz welcomed us around noon with a smile on her face and lots of information since this was our first time in NOLA. She told us of several places to go besides the French Quarter. We stayed in one of the "superior" room and were quite taken with the beauty of the room and property. These houses are quite old and have tons of charm. We had a small fridge and tv in the room (tv didn't matter much as we were out most of the time). Beatriz is an excellent host and made sure we were comfortable and well informed. Our room was cleaned and towels replaced daily. This B&B was two blocks off the bus/trolley route and very convenient to everything. We walked to the Quarter one day and came back after dark. One small area along the way was a bit questionable, but no one bothered us and we felt safe in the area. We parked our car in the secured area and walked or took the bus everywhere. I highly recommed this property and Beatriz as a host. We will definitely return!! Thanks for your hospitality and the pleasure of staying at your property, Beatriz!!!

2 Thank prowe57
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fairchild house from 7/20/12 to 7/23/12. We actually purchased groupons for the stay and were able to use them for all four nights. We were able to check in early after checking out of the hotel we were staying at in the French Quarter (Thank GOD). We were warmly welcomed by Beatriz at noon. She showed us around the complex (which was very clean and the courtyard was adorable). We were in room 7 which was tucked away in one of the corners of the house. The room was spotless and very cozy. The TV was very small, but you don't come to NOLA to watch TV so who cares! The housekeepers were great and came and clean the room everyday. The breakfast (which we only made it to once) was light but good (cereal, oatmeal, toast, english muffins, bagels, coffee, fruit). It was nice to eat light after consuming all the delicous southern food. I would definitely recommend this Bed and Breakfast! It is less than two blocks from the bus and trolley and the area seemed very safe. We actually walked over a mile down St. Charles in the middle of the night and I felt safe. Give this place a chance and you won't regret it! ENJOY

Room Tip: The trolley isn't running that far due to construction so plan on taking the bus. Just buy an al...
1 Thank Colleen W
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Fairchild House. Beatriz was very friendly and helpful. This B&B is very conveniently located just 1 block from a St Charles Trolley stop. Parking is completely secured as you park in a gated area. Prior to booking, I had read some reviews which stated that the standard & superior rooms were kind of stark so I chose to get a Deluxe room and was very happy with my choice. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this room came with a small fridge and I liked that this room had 3 windows. I feel that I got a great deal on the room especially when you consider the parking is free, the location is great, and the room was clean. What others say about the bathrooms being tiny and the tv not having many channels is true but who really wants to stay in and watch tv when they are in New Orleans?The wi-fi was a little spotty but we managed to get online more often than not. When we were there, the first day there were only fruit, breads, yogurts, and cereal for breakfast and since I am a diabetic and not big on carbs, we just skipped breakfast the second day.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room or suite.
2 Thank well-heeled580
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I've been to NOLA several times in the past and did a combination business/personal visit in early May. I chose Fairchild because it is just 2 blocks from one of my destinations and the price was reasonable. I stayed in room 14 which is a standard room on the 2nd floor.

The only real snafu during my stay was the bell didn't work when I arrived Thursday morning. I finally called and Beatriz came out to let me in. She apologized and said the bell had apparently been turned off by another worker. If my phone hadn't been charged or if I hadn't had the number, it could have been problematic, but it worked out fine and it was smooth sailing from there.

The rooms are nothing fancy but certainly comfortable and, at least during my stay, very quiet. One quirk is that it takes about a full minute for hot water in the shower, so just be patient ;).
I believe one reviewer mentioned there was no vanity for your stuff in the bathroom - true, but I just pulled the chair over and covered it with a towel to protect it and that doubled as a vanity and a place to lay my clothes out.

I did not have any problem at all with the 2 keys or with the short distance to the breakfast room. The continental breakfast was perfectly adequate for me, but I am not a huge breakfast person anyway. If you seek out the B&Bs that have the homemade breakfasts fit for cookbooks, you've realized by now this isn't the place for you; but if you just want something to tide you over until the real food in the FQ, it's fine.

I found the service to be very accommodating. For example, I had an early engagement on Friday and Beatriz arranged for an early breakfast so I could eat something before I left. Also, because I expressed an interest in traveling to Brazil, her mom drew a little map for me with a few points of interest. I also really appreciated the antique decor.

In short, I found Fairchild House to be a solid choice that added to a very enjoyable trip.

FYI, you can safely walk to the FQ or to the little shops along Magazine in about 20-30 minutes.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank TravelinFoodie17
Baprizigler, Owner at Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
It was such a pleasure to have you stay with us.
I have placed a sign by the bell, so we do not have that issue again.
The original room booked was a standard room, and I upgraded you to the Superior Queen. Just wanted to clarify that for future guests. As far as the vanity, I will need to see about fitting one in the bathroom.
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2012

First and foremost you must realize that Fairchild House is not going to provide you with a grand, supernatural B&B experience. It's a simple place run by a caring mother and her daughter. So, if you want a regal B&B experience you will need to look elsewhere.

However, if you are a traveler who prefers to be in an unpretentious environment which is well located in NOLA, Fairchild is a great place. Moreover, and what may make me a bit biased towards Fairchild, is that Beatriz and her mom were super kind to me. This is why I added a "personalized touch" in the title of my review. I found Beatriz and her mom to be engaging and welcoming. When you connect with folks like that, especially when traveling, it makes for a wonderful experience...the kind of experience you will not get in a hotel. Finally, the breakfast foods that Beatriz served up were very good (fresh). Again, nothing that makes you feel like you've been transported to an 18th century Bourbon royalty experience but certainly something more like home.

It's true that Fairchild is not the most beautiful of B&Bs on the outside or the inside. However, there is no denying that it is a great place for those of you who want to connect with the beauty of the Garden District (or NOLA in general) and seek an intimate feel for melting into the NOLA experience. I feel that if you are the type of traveler who seeks to connect with folks on a personal level you will find Fairchild House to be an excellent place to stay. The place is certainly for the simple kind of traveler.

Thanks again, Beatriz and mama! I will see you again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JordonCA
You are the best. We were both so happy to meet you. Thank you for the review you wrote..you got it too! Look forward to seeing you again.