“Get spoiled at The 1870 Banana Courtyard!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Ranked #40 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 16, 2004

The top accolade the 1870 Banana Courtyard B&B deserves is "It's NOT for everybody." If you want the predictable comfort of a chain hotel tower, then don't even bother reading any further. However, if you're ready for adventure and want to experience the French Quarter as it's truly meant to be done, then this is the place for you. Innkeepers Mary and Hugh Ramsey totally knock themselves out to please their guests. They e-mail you a huge document to get you up to speed prior to arrival. At check in, they customize an itinerary based on your personal interests, especially a color-coded map to help you stay on the safest streets in the neighborhood. They retain a local cab driver for airport runs who is a better tourguide than the people who work for Gray Line. The old-fashioned decor of the main B&B enhances your step back into time. Once you're no longer a "virgin" to the Quarter, you'll probably want to inquire about their separate Garconniere apartment (local term for "bachelor pad"). Having your own private hideaway without daily maid service really does have its advantages and encourages you to explore local shops like a true resident. Come with an open mind and have an unforgettable time!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal
Reviewed July 11, 2004

I booked my stay before reading any of the reviews on trip advisor and boy am i ever glad I didn't heed any of the 'warnings' on the site. I was a little leary of staying there after reading that the B&B was in a bad neighbourhood, it was dirty, unsafe.. blah, blah, blah... etcetera, etcetera. I have to wonder, did these people actually stay at the same place I did?

please don't pay any any attention to the bad reviews. the place was fantastic and about a ten to fifteen minute walk down esplanade - a very nice *residential* area filled with old town houses typical to the french quarter - to decanteur which is down by the river. it's a *five* minute walk to bourbon. the location is great - I went there alone(I'm a twenty-two year old woman) and I felt perfectly safe walking back to the b&b at 11:30 at night.

as for the interior, it looks exactly like the pictures posted on their website. the Hilton it is not, but who wants to stay at a boring, uniform hotel when you're in *New Orleans*, a city know for it's colorful architecture and quirky, unique charm?

Although I barely got to speak to Hugh, Mary was an absolute darling. They say they specialize in first time travellers and they mean it. After greeting me at the door and showing me to my room, she actually *walked* me down to bourbon street, gave me a street map and pointed out some places of interest. Now what other bed and breakfast do you know of that will go that far out of their way for guests?

As for the comments that it was dirty, it's a really old house filled with antiques and curios. of course it was a little dusty, but what else do you expect? the room itsself was immaculate (with the exception of my purchased articles strewn all over the extra bed::grin::) and was cleaned every day. I never had to worry about clean towels or missing toilet paper and I was pleasantly suprised at the air conditioning and great water pressure in the bathroom.

if you're looking for a place to stay that offers all the modern amenities you get at a chain hotel with a unique atmosphere and hospitality you'll only find in new orleans, book your stay at the banana courtyard. I promise you won't regret it.

4 Thank jessicat48