“The hosts with the mostest!!”

and 1 more site!
1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Ranked #37 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 21, 2004

What a great experience for my husband and I since all of our stays have been inside the French Quarter. This B & B is on the outskirt by the lovely tree lined Esplanade Avenue. Rooms are very adequate and bed was so comfortable. The hosts let you do what you want, when you want, but if you need something, they are always available. The sole of my shoe came apart and Mary was right there with the glue to fix it. There were always cold beverages available. Just a friendly place to visit!! They also sent me tons of information prior to my trip. This B & B knows the meaning of hospitable! Can't commend on the breakfast because we did not eat at the B & B, but know that they asked us what we liked. These people are very willing to please.

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank NJlawgirl

Reviewed March 19, 2004

We never met Hugh and Mary in person. They were both very friendly over the phone. They arranged for their representative, Cheryl, to meet us at the property we rented from them in Algiers Point. The apartment was as advertised and exactly what we were looking for in a short term rental. Cheryl left milk, juice, donuts, and fruit. She also came back during our stay to drop off more.

The Delaronde compound (203) is a very short walk to the ferry and was very convenient to everything we wanted to see in New Orleans. It was perfect for two adults and two children.

3  Thank Elissa B
Reviewed March 18, 2004

I hesitated to write this because staff was so friendly and did work out a wonderful alternative for us but I do feel that they seriously mislead people.First, there's a reason why you won't be able to find the street address anywhere. This is in a pretty bad neighborhood and is basically on the corner of 2 major streets (which can be heard from inside the house). The website recommends using their drivers because it can be hard to find. Not so, the main house is on the at the intersection of Rampart and Esplanade. I suspect that they tell you to use thier drivers because an outside one would tell you not to stay there.The picture of the front of the place cleaverly hides the fact that the front porch looks out on the lovely view of a mjaor street, across which is a creepy empty lot and abandoned industrial building of some sort.I have stayed in several B&B's of this era but this was the first where I felt like I was in my grandmother's 19th century farm house. Plumbing is terrible, although the bed was very comfortable.We only stayed one night of the four we'd booked because the building next door was being demolished, construction starts at 7:00AM, and is so loud and so close that, being from California, I thought we were having an earthquake. We were told that this was unexpected but since there are two new buildings adjacent to the construction I highly doubt that and feel that we were completely taken for a ride on that one.On the positive side, after I demanded other accomedations, we were moved to another place with a different owner at Banana Courtyard's expense and they even threw in a dinner at the other place's owner's restaurant. The new place was wonderful and the restaurant was fantastic. We woudl never have know about it had the travesty at the Courtyard not happened, so I guess it all worked out to our benefit anyway.Would we give the Banana Courtyard another chance? No way! However...If you want a great place, off the beaten track with much nicer, but still authentic antique, creole feel and within walking distance of the quarter please try instead: ******************8, or if you don't stay there at least treat yourself to one meal at Dale's restaurant, Feelings. We have no affiliation with Dale deBruyne at all but we were so pleased with his place and restaurant after our terrible experience that I want to share it.

10  Thank Blues4Opie
Reviewed February 24, 2004

If your looking to feel like your part of New Orleans stay at Banana Courtyard B & B. Owners Mary & Hugh will do what they can to make your stay a great one. Better then most 5 star hotels I have stayed in.

3  Thank Marc J
Reviewed February 16, 2004

Loved it. Stayed in the Faubourgh Cottage. It was the perfect size for two. It was quite and easy to get to. The hosts were awesome. Very helpful and informative. I've stayed at different places while in New Orleans but this place I'll remember forever as the best. I am recommending this place to everyone I meet.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2004

Don't expect a nice neighborhood, even the cops told us to be careful.
The hosts are very nice, but the breakfast items were either stale or not very tasty. Don't do breakfast here, unless you just need coffee.
The tea was very musty-tasting and the jams and jellies were like your grandmother who saved the last teaspoon in a jar. Not very appetizing.
Don't rent the Cannonball Room if you sleep lightly. It is right by the front street, and traffic noise, buses, and "colorful" neighborhood folks make quite a racket, all night long. The makeup mirror in the room only had one side that would light and the heater in there is very noisy.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member