1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Rathbone Mansions(New Orleans)
Empress Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Free Internet
Lamothe House Hotel(New Orleans)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Marigny Guest House(New Orleans)
View Hotel
Inn on Ursulines(New Orleans)
View Hotel
Hotel St. Pierre(New Orleans)
  • Pool
All reviewshexagon roombed and breakfastfrench quarterhome away from homegreat hostsmardi grasother guestsinn keepersfrenchman streetchain hotelsecure parkingvisiting nolacrescent cityfew blocksan easy walkyogurtjackson square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Thank you Mary and Hugh. Such an unusual place, could have spent ages just looking at all the 'stuff' makes even my house look bare!
New Orleans is a brilliant place for a holiday. Made better by being comfortable in our huge room. Brilliant bed! Thanks for a great stay.
Took the train from New Orleans to Chicago, wow! a journey not to be missed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrissie G
bananacour, Manager at 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Gee. This is starting to be fun responding to reviews. Now all I need to do is figure out how to make more time to do this more often! For those guests where we are able to respond, i hope the ones I DON'T respond to, don't feel ignored.

You are such a sweetheart to have posted such a nice review. We were delighted to have y'all stay with us.

Just wish I had more time to get to know guests. Since Hugh serves breakfast, he gets acquainted with guests better than I do (or did he tell too many stories!?!).

Thanks for train tip. We plan to take train through Chicago in a couple of years and go to Canada, where we've never been. We've had so many charming guests from there, we need to get to know their country.

Oh well. So much for time. Guest buzzer is ringing for glass of wine or beer, or for me to help plan evening activities. That time of day. At least that is when I am able to spend a little time with guests, other than walking them down to Bourbon St. which they check in.

Please keep in touch. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were three women traveling to New Orleans for 5 days, and this was the perfect place for us. Our room was large, especially the bathroom. We were within walking distance of the French Quarter and across the street from bus routes which connect to the trolley. The hosts were very helpful with good advice. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank BFFs
bananacour, Manager at 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

During high season (which is much of the year) making time to go online to look at review sites, occurs less and less often. But today, when we received notification of a review, I decided to follow the link. I am so glad I did. It means SOOO much to us when guests take time out of their busy day to go online to say something about all the delights of our city and mentioning their stay with us. You made my day!

We're glad you mentioned the bus and streetcars. They are so important for anyone who is mobility impaired. Even though the French Quarter is very small and an easy walk anywhere from the B&B, as we age and arthritis begins to take its toll, it's nice to have an alternative. If only the city would reinstate the French Quarter Shuttle bus, that made a circuit through Faubourg Marigny, the French Quarter to the Convention center all day, for the convenience of tourists (and folks who work in the CBD). We know that government must tighten its purse, but hope one day, as the population continues to age, that VITAL link will return. It won't happen until enough tourists write the Mayor, Convention and Tourist Bureau. Tourism is the city's lifeblood. Uh oh. Sounds 'preachy".

I can't remember who I promised the recipe for CRAWFISH or SHRIMP MAQUE CHOUX. If it was you, please send me an email, or better yet (if you want an answer anytime soon, pick up the phone and call me with your email address, so I can send it to you. Warmest regards from Hugh and Mary

Reviewed October 12, 2013

A lovely gated New Orleans home with large rooms, charmingly decorated - New Orleans style.
We shared breakfast with the most interesting guests and traded tips on where we had been and what to do in New Orleans. Mary and Hugh were quite helpful. Arranging for the taxi to meet us at the airport when we arrived was such a perk. Stanley hooked up with us right on schedule and whisked us away to Banana Courtyard. For women traveling alone, this is an invaluable service.
Five Stars for Hugh and Mary!

Room Tip: The Hexagon Room was perfect for three of us! The bathroom was huge!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Linda Kay W

With only person who can type, wish we could always respond to guests’ reviews. After 20 years in biz, more and more time is taken with guests in residence, leaving little time to read reviews, much less respond to them. Glad I went online today though, as we remember y’all vividly and especially enjoyed helping you discover some the hidden treasures AND popular tourist attractions of our great city. Sent a copy of email to Stanley, who will be delighted that you enjoyed the special service he provides. So – you brought a little sunshine into 3 lives today! Keep in touch. Bye from the banana ladynad Mr. Mary

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My friends and I arrived for a two night stay before a cruise. We had a wonderful time. Hosts Mary and Hugh are delightful. They arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the airport, helped us book our tour of Oak Alley Plantation, and gave us helpful hints regarding things to see and do in the area. Breakfast is served in a lovely diningroom located at the rear of the home, lots of goodies to choose from.

If I'm lucky enough to return in New Orleans I shall book a room.

Room Tip: Hexigon Room located on the ground floor is large and lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
bananacour, Manager at 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Mary here. As usual, it takes me a while to get around to stuff, even if it is IMPORTANT. Sorry we did not see your email and review until today.

How very generous you are in your review. We continue to be humbled by the praise guests give us. We love sharing our city with people. N’Awlins is such a unique place.

We have 2 set of return guests here now. They are going back to their favorite places to eat (Coops Place, Voodoo BBQ), and exploring new ones like the Orange Store and Cajun Seafood. Both are celebrating anniversaries, and we have some newbies here, on honeymoon.

It has been international house here lately: our 1st guests from Fiji, more guests from Belgium, Sweden, Switzerland, Canada and Australia

I should make a commitment to respond to more reviews, but just not enough hours in day. Hope other guests understand.

Gotta go.

Bye from the banana lady

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My best friend and I were visiting NoLa as one last get away trip before he moved out of the country. Money for me was a little tight, but I had called a week ahead of time and talked to Mary about some options about how I could make this trip happen and stay at the B&B. I cannot begin to express my gratitude to her for helping me see this trip through. I had to book a few different rooms for the days I wanted, but that was not a problem to her or Hugh, I got the opportunity to really see this place and all it had to offer.

Firstly, their hospitality is top notch, world class. Most B&Bs around town had strict rules about arrival times because they are not “hotels” and they did not cater to later arrival times. This was barley an issue, their main concern was that I made it to town safely and knew where I was going. Upon arrival, Hugh offered us beverages and gave us a quick run-down of the area and a few house rules, got us all situated and wished us a good night. I’ve read a lot of these past posts complaining about “all the rules” but honestly, they’re mostly common courtesies; people need to stop complaining about simple requests to respect people and their homes. The only major request they have is to lock the doors and to make sure to call before breakfast so they can prepare for your arrival and make sure you have something hot and fresh to eat. Why is that so awful?

First night we stayed in the Pirate’s Attic. Super cozy little room, made me feel like I was staying at an old friend’s house, even had its own little private bathroom. It’s a little tiny, so if you’re looking for lofty spaces, you might wanna try one of the larger rooms. But like I said, it was just the two of us with minimal luggage, so it was a comfy fit. Next morning, we woke up and called 30mins before we wanted breakfast so when we came down, it was ready to go. Hugh was awake to serve us most mornings and always had something insightful to say, or if we wanted to hear an amazing story of their (Mary and Hug's) world travels, all we had to do was ask. (*hint*hint* you might wanna ask, boy do they have some stories!!) He asked us about our plans for the day and offered some suggestions of places to go/eat in our down time. The location of this particular B&B is superb. Just a few blocks down from Burbon Street in the French Quarter, so it was an extremely pleasant walk, heavily shaded by trees and safe sidewalks. Not once did I feel unsafe.

Second night we were there we stayed in the Carriage Quilt room – Wowie it was charming! The antique bed was exquisite and welcoming. The sitting area had a daybed and beautiful bureau with antique vanity mirror. The bathroom was a little tiny, but again, how much time was I going to spend in the bathroom? Some perks were an a/c unit and fan in the bathroom, kept the temp down during those hot showers! This room overall was a much larger room than the Pirate’s attic, can definitely sleep three comfortable if you wanted. Also a fantastic little room to come back to for an afternoon nap, it was super cool, never hot.

Overall, if you’re looking for something extremely unique, along with adventurous inn keepers with incredible life stories that love life and people, Mary and Hugh are the people you have gotta meet. The 1870 Banana Courtyard is hands down one of the best places to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElenaorRigby
bananacour, Manager at 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Wow. Your review blew us away. How kind of you to take SOOO much time to write that AND address the common courtesy 'rule' issues.

Hugh thanks you for understanding that he doesn't serve buffet style, because he wants your pastries to be HOT, not soggy.

We appreciate your saying how safe you felt. Late night walks, alone, help clear my mind. It's nice to here that you, ALSO, felt comfortable.

Hope you are comfortably settled in your new city. Keep in touch.

Bye from the banana lady and Hugh.