1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Hotel Monteleone(New Orleans)
$289
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$238
$199
  • Breakfast included
New Orleans Marriott(New Orleans)
Marriott Hotels
$432
$404
$332
$289
  • Restaurant
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
$260
$269
  • Fitness center
The Whitney Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$286
$229
  • Breakfast included
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$338
$191
$382
$339
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshexagon roombed and breakfastfrench quarterhome away from homegreat hostsmardi grasother guestsinn keepersfrenchman streetchain hotelsecure parkingvisiting nolacrescent cityfew blocksan easy walkyogurtjackson square
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights, and we had a great time. We had a room mix-up upon arrival, but Mary and Hugh were willing to work with us and did everything to make it right. The location, right around the corner from the French Quarter, was great for us. We walked everywhere, which was awesome since we ate everything in sight and needed to walk it off! Shortly after arrival, Mary took us into the FQ and showed us a few local haunts. Over the next few days she gave us tips regarding places to visit, things to see, and places to eat. We were not disappointed by any of her advice :) We didn't get a chance to actually EAT the continental breakfast because we wanted to take in as much of the city as possible in our short time. However we peeked in on breakfast, and it looked AWESOME. Hugh was giving all sorts of history tidbits re: breakfast items. Just looking at the King Cake made me drool.

We loved the crowded-with-antiques front hall, we loved the overgrown feeling of the courtyards, and both of the rooms that we stayed in were spacious (balcony room, a more modern quiet room upstairs, and the Hexagon Room, a historical room which was incredible). I'd recommend that people take a look at the pictures of the house and the rooms, because what you see is what you get. Lots of history, lots of information, lots of antiques, and lots of stairs (high ceilings!). If that appeals to you like it did to us, then this is the place for you.

We'll definitely recommend it to friends and family!

Room Tip: Review the room photos and descriptions carefully. Some are more historical than others, some are up several flights of stairs. Some may be better suited for your trip purpose and physical abilities than others (i.e. If you can't climb stairs, don't rent the balcony room. If you want a quieter room, try a room towards the back of the house).
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sctrzynka
Reviewed October 3, 2012

First of all its on the very edge of the quarter , in a more residential neighborhood . Dont cross the boulevard street , it gets nasty quick . We did not get Mary and Hugh so no information really - Cory was nice enough but seemed a bit unpolished .
The house itself has no sitting area , just a crowded hall and small dining area , the rest is all rooms . There is a fine line between charming and run down and this place manages to find it .
It wasnt to my husbands liking at all . We got the balcony room which was large and fine for us but I wouldnt of wanted to stay in the main house . Dark and dingy with a certain smell and lots and lots of antiques . the house had a claustrophobic feel to it with a lot of stairs . The courtyard is OK but could use some grooming .

Room Tip: choose the balcony room its the best
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank takemeawaysoon5
bananacour, Guest Relations Manager at 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

It seems clear from your review that you had some expectations that were not met during your visit with us. For instance, while you found our property "rundown", many of our guests--especially those who return time after time to stay with us--have found the same house an authentic slice of real New Orleans culture. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness and attractiveness of our rooms, along with the many antiques found throughout our house. We agree with you that many of our guests have found the balcony rooms to be a great place to experience the Quarter. We would also encourage you to come back again to see us and to stay in the main house, so that we can show the Quarter through our eyes as locals.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at the Banana Courtyard for my birthday the last weekend in August 2012 with my husband. We were welcomed with a nice cold beer, a birthday card, and lots of information. It was my 6th time in NOLA, but at the advice of the B&B, we saw so much more in this visit than the last 5 times combined (including Sunday Jazz Church- thanks for that!!) Frenchmen St is not a far walk at all (and such a fun time!!!!!) and the French Quarter is also very close. You're in an ideal spot and have the privacy of staying at a hotel, but a much more friendly personal encounter. I enjoyed chatting with the other guests at breakfast and loved the strawberry cake :-) It was a great place to stay. I also want to say that Stanley- the Banana Courtyard's driver was the nicest man I've ever met and I was shocked that we had a ride waiting for us when we landed at the airport. Great people, great time and I would highly reccommend staying here to somebody who is looking for a little more in their NOLA visit.

I don't normally submit reviews, but the Banana Courtyard was awesome and deserves a great review. They really go out of their to make guests see NOLA the way it should be seen. Thanks to Mary, Hugh and Stanley. We will be back again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cristin p
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I read the review below and totally agree that the promises made of I'll walk you to frenchman's street and get you acquainted with the are by Mary did not happen. I did see her do that for someone while waiting at the bus stop on Sat not sure why we were not afforded that. There was plenty of help to get us unloaded Tues but Sun when we left there was no one there. The owners took off to Biloxi and after meeting Mary in the street to bring us in the gate never saw her again until we left on Sunday. I took a big sago palm over from my yard and her husband did acknowledge it but she didn't. I was the main one writing and dealing with her but I had a boot on my foot so the 2 flights of narrow stairs were a struggle and I broke a ring just getting up and down. It is right on a main artery and garbage trucks seem to run all night. I will have to say Cory that works for them was refreshing and enjoyed sitting on the porch having a glass of wine with him. The entrance way was always hot like they didn't have an air conditioner on and don't even try to go in the downstairs bathroom you will get stuck. They might as well not have one, I almost got stuck. Mary did hug my driving companion but was busy checking someone else in that probably got the walk to Frenchman's street so she didn't come hug me and I was at the foot of the stairs (boot on foot). I am sure there are other B&B's that give as good a service for the price closer to the french quarter this is at the far right corner as we walked one night and it's 10 blocks not an easy walk for a fit person. The pirates room was so small that you really had one to two steps to be in the bathroom, no closets only a hanger on the back of the bathroom door. The bed was too short and I'm a woman 5'8" slept fine between the garbage trucks. Had to move the last day to the quilt room which you needed a ladder to get on the bed and the noise from the street was even louder in there. Maybe because these two rooms were upstairs and faced the street but this was not a good value for the money. Wish we had stayed in a motel, I wouldn't have had to climb those stairs and the breakfast was just bread and peanut butter with coffee and juice sometimes a muffin. Disappointed. She even had her assistant send a thank you for staying. Seems they need to be retiring if they can't handle the few people I saw staying there.

Room Tip: Don't stay upstairs
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank fergiebaby1
bananacour, Guest Relations Manager at 1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2014

We're sorry to hear that you had a difficult trip to New Orleans. It must have been frustrating to have your foot in a cast while you were on vacation. We're sure that going up and down a large, antique staircase must have been a constant hassle for you. As you inferred in your review--whether its the owners (Mary and Hugh) or hard-working staff like Corey, we try our best to give all of our guests a warm, personalized experience when they visit us in New Orleans. But perhaps, as you said, this may not be for everyone--and we encourage you to find a motel or hotel that meets your needs the next time you visit New Orleans.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The home is very nice, and I enjoyed the many decorations, but I can't in good conscience give this more than 3 stars. When I called to reserve, I had two requests - a big bed, and a table. The man that I spoke with suggested the cannonball room. While we were talking, there was a LOT of noise in the background, and I inquired if the room would be that noisy. He assured me that he was working from home, and that the room would be quiet. To make a long story short, the bed was not big and while there was a table, there was no chair with it (silly me, I forgot to ask for a table AND chair). Also, the room was adjacent to the front porch, and there was a family with a small child trying to be courteous by taking their child outside to avoid disturbing the residents. Unfortunately, he didn't know that we were staying on the other side of that wall. Also, the crazy policy of having to call 30 minutes in advance to get breakfast resulting in a lot of phone calls that were easily heard in our room every time it rang, and it would often ring several times before being answered. While it is apparent that the owners love their home, I didn't get the feeling that they loved being in the hospitality business.

This was our first visit to NO since Katrina, and it is apparent that the storm did a lot of damage (and I'm not talking about physical damage.) Other than the food, which is always great in NO, the experience was quite different from prior trips. I doubt we will go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sally1129

We're sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied during your stay with us. As we are often totally booked up, it was unfortunate that we were unable to find another room in our facility that would have better met your needs. Also, many of us chose to stay, and re-build if necessary, in New Orleans after Katrina. We wish that you would return one more time--if not with us, then with one of our colleagues in the city. We are justifiably proud of how the way our beloved city has not only recovered, but even flourished since 2005. For instance, the area around Rampart and Esplanade has exploded with new housing, new cultural sites, and lots of restoration. We will even have a brand new streetcar coming down Rampart Street in the future! We hope you will come again to see for yourselves how the treasure that was New Orleans is still intact.