“Safe and secure for single travelers”

1870 Banana Courtyard French Quarter / New Orleans B&B
Ranked #37 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I returned to the Banana Courtyard in July of this year for my 45th birthday. This is my second stay there and enjoyed it just as much as I did over Mardi Gras in February. This time I stayed in the Pirate's Attic, which is a very nice small room upstairs. It could sleep three comfortably, with the bed and the additional futon. There is a mini fridge and a microwave in this room, which was nice for reheating leftovers and keeping water cold. There is seriously great water pressure in the shower. Seemingly endless hot water!

I moved downstairs to the Cannonball Room on the third night for no reason other than to try other rooms in this fun historic property. What a fantastic room. It's right inside the door, and has a HUGE high bed. Very romantic, were I to be traveling with a companion. This room also has a smaller twin bed, so three could be comfortable here. I liked this a bit better as I didn't have to navigate the stairs, and the sitting porch is right outside for relaxing afternoons on the porch swing.

I didn't partake of breakfast this time, but it has been my past experience that the continental breakfast is more than sufficient and served in the downstairs dining room with panache and charm on plates and glassware. The company of the other guests around the communal table is wonderful. I go to New Orleans regularly and enjoyed giving new guests my must-sees. :)

I loved having the gated secure parking (with a remote for the gate!) and did not mind one bit the keys for the front gate to the property. I felt very, very secure. I will stay here again as it is convenient to getting around the city in my car. The location on Esplanade and Rampart makes getting around New Orleans in a car SO easy.

Room Tip: The three upstairs rooms are charming, and open onto a little balcony, which is nice for sitting in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Amy C

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed with Mary and Co. at the Banana Courtyard and they were fabulous hosts! They made sure we knew where to go and what to see. The room was comfortable and quiet and we enjoyed chocloate covered strawberries and Champagne. The location was perfect, just off the craziness that is the French Quarter with gated parking. We can't say enough good things about the Banana Courtyard! It was a great place for a honeymoon!!!! Thanks Mary for a wonderful visit!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey M
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last year & absolutely loved it. We stayed in Pirates Attic & it was perfect since my husband is a sailor and a fan of all things nautical. (They also showed respect for us being in the military and left a thank you note on our pillow, for his service to the country.) I loved the history & all of the many things to look at in the house itself. I am from south Louisiana & adore the New Orleans culture, & I find that this particular place stays true to it. Its just got so much more than what a hotel chain can offer, if you come to this city, this is what you need to experience. The couple running it is the sweetest ever and so helpful. We loved seeing them around and my husband could just sit and listen to Hugh all day. Breakfast was so enjoyable because again, there's just so much to look at & they had a few of my favorite not so common jams and spreads! Overall, it was just a wonderful experience and I definitely reccomend 1870 Banana Courtyard!

Room Tip: Pirates Attic was fun!
Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KensiMarie
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The hosts could not have been any nicer. Mary and Hugh welcomed us into there house. We stayed in the Cajun Quarters for the last couple nights of our anniversary trip. My only regret is that we didn't stay here the entire time. Definately get a balcony room (nothing beats having your morning coffee on their balcony). You can come and go when you please and you're off bourbon street enough that you don't have to worry about all the bourbon street crazies from keeping you up all night. You are still close enough to head down to bourbon street and the french market in a matter of minutes. Thank You, Mary and Hugh!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam G
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed three nights in the Hexagon Room.
Gracious hosts, comfortable accommodations and very good location.
Recommend it highly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank James M
Reviewed June 17, 2012

A very nice surprise. Very accomodating. Was met at the airport by Stanley, super fella, and taken to the Courtyard. Was greeted by Mary (Ramsey), amazing lady. The house is fantatsic. Very quiet and peaceful. It feels like you are the only one staying in the house. it is close to everything, French Quarter, Bourbon St. Stayed in the Pirates Attic. I loved it and I am 6'2 and had no issues with the size of the room. Thank you very much Mary, Hugh, Stanley and staff. John B (from Ontario,Canada) I WILL be back!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Johnnybray
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Banana Courtyard for the first time last week. Although it is located a short walk from the action it was not too far away. The staff was great. They were helpful, friendly and knowledgable. At the same time they gave us all the space we needed. We stayed in the balcony room, which was pretty standard but nice enough. I peaked into some of the rooms in the main section of the bnb and they seemed to have a lot more old New Orleans character. All in all it was a fun little place to stay. I would definitely recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: June 2012