“one of a kind inn”

Ranked #65 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
newton,nc
“one of a kind inn”
Reviewed February 20, 2010

my husband and I spent our 3rd anniversary at the biscuit palace.
first time in new orleans. we had the Royal suite. we didn't want to stay in a regular hotel and we could not have asked for anything more. this is not your average b&b. it is very ecclectic which was perfect for us. PERFECT LOCATION!!! See Bourbon street off the left side of the balcony and walk to Royal one block to the right. No trouble sleeping either. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teat461

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed January 26, 2010

You can't do better than the location of the Biscuit Palace. It's right off Bourbon, close to the scene, but far enough away that the room is quiet. Our room had a large balcony, perfect for watching the French Quarter action. The room was large and comfortable, with a sink, coffee maker, microwave and fridge. Decor was eclectic and not upscale. The shower is tiny & the hot water takes a long time to arrive....but arrive it does, so no big deal. Service was very good & personal due to the small size of the place. There's a small courtyard with a huge banana tree. My only complaint is that you can't get any biscuits at the Biscuit Palace, but at least you can get them across the street at a great little diner, The Clover Grill.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GoKittyGo
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 23, 2009

My husband and I recently stayed here during President's weekend. We loved the location, just off Bourbon, and having a balcony was a great experience. We got to watch the dog parade from the balcony. The room was spacious and had lots of character. The bathroom in our room was unbelievably small, the shower had no pressure and was so small you couldn't turn around without touching the walls. We had a sink/kitchen area in the room, however the water from the sink was GREEN! We opted to purchase water bottles. We loved the overall New Orleans historic character, but the bathroom was a real bummer. Might stay again, but will definitely find out if there are rooms with bigger bathrooms.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roadtrippin_girl
Calistoga, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2008

I've been to New Orleans many times before and recently took my girlfriend there for five days. I wanted her to experience the real thing when it comes to seeing and understanding the culture of New Orleans so I spent weeks researching the trip. Although I had stayed in the French Quarter before, it had always been in one of the better known hotels on Bourbon Street. I was very excited to find the Biscuit Palace website, which offered a virtual tour of some of their unusual and somewhat eccentric rooms. After speaking with the owner, Clayton, for some advice, I booked the Dauphine Suite. It was everything we imagined it would be, tastefully decorated, steeped with history and romance. Despite the fact it is only half a block off of Bourbon it's located towards the residential end of the Quarter and is remarkably quiet. The wrought iron enclosed balcony was a perfect place for cafe au lait in the morning and a cold Abita Turbodog in the evening. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to stay there again. Thanks again Clayton!

• Liked — Ambiance
  • Disliked — Hiking the stairs
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed May 7, 2008

The Buscuit Palace is a wonderful place to stay in New Orleans. There were 7 of us and we stayed during the first week of the Jazz Festival. It is in an excellent location for enjoying all the French Quarter has to offer. Clayton is a wonderful host.

This is not your Holiday Inn, this is a hotel with character! It gives you the funky feel of being in New Orleans. If you are looking for the cookie cutter type feel of chain hotels, this is not the place for you. If you like to get into the feel of the area, this is your place. My friends stayed in the Barracks (two bedrooms) and loved it. We were in the Palace room and loved it. Both rooms were spacious with small kitchens. After attending the Jazz Festival all day, we would meet and make drinks and have cheese and crackers before going out on the town in the evening, and both rooms had plenty of space, or we would use the courtyard. There is a little dinner on the corner for a quick breakfast.

It is very clean and plenty of towels and linens are provided. We had no problem with water pressure. Everyone was very nice and our friend was even able to park on the street because Clayton provided a pass.

I hope more people will visit the New Orleans area. That will be more help than giving money. We had not been to New Orleans in 20 years and were pleasantly surprised. The area is so much cleaner.
Would difinetly stay here again!!!

• Liked — It's originality
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
chicago
Reviewed April 17, 2008

I recently surprised my husband with a birthday trip to New Orleans, and booked a room for us and some friends at the Biscuit Palace. This was my husband's first trip to NOLA, and my second, and we both agree that all future trips absolutely MUST involve a stay at the Biscuit Palace. I can't imagine why anyone would stay anywhere else!

From the moment I emailed Clayton about reservations, he was nothing but prompt, helpful and polite- a good sign in my book. I informed him that our flight would be arriving very late on Friday night (after 11pm), and he said no problem- he gave me the door code and said he'd leave a key on the landing by our room. When thunderstorms forced us to spend the first night of our trip in the Atlanta airport, Clayton was sympathetic and understanding and assured us that our room would be "right here waiting for you when you get here." He didn't even gripe when our friend's luggage finally showed up on Sunday morning- and the airline called the front desk at 3:30am! Clayton was a truly amazing example of southern hospitality, all around.

When we finally arrived, we were greeted by a beautiful brick courtyard complete with fountain, and a lovely and authentic French Quarter mansion right out of my southern fiction fantasy. My husband and I and another couple shared the two bedroom "Barracks" suite- the entire top floor- for a very reasonable rate, and found it spacious, clean and full of exactly the quirky New Orleans charm I was looking for. If I had one tiny complaint about the room it would be the four flights of stairs you have to climb to get to it- but in the end that probably helped me work off some of those oyster po-boys!

The location was perfect- right in the middle of the Quarter and within close walking distance of anything and everything, but on a quiet side street that wasn't overrun with loud drunken tourists (except maybe us) at all hours of the night. Clayton gave us recommendations for where to eat nearby, and every single suggestion was right on the money.

Overall, our trip to New Orleans was wonderful, and Clayton and the Biscuit Palace played a big part in making it so!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jbdiehl
NC
Reviewed October 14, 2007

This is a very neat place to stay. The building is circa early 1800's, and has been remodeled into an Inn located in the heart of the French Quarter.

The host, Clayton, was an absolute pleasure! When we checked in he gave us a 24/7 parking pass to park on the street in front of his business, as opposed to the 2 hour city parking ordinance.
We left our car there for 3 days and nights, without any problems, and walked everywhere in the Quarter.

We stayed in the Royal Room, which is actually an effeciancy apartment with an additional pull out bed, and a balcony overlooking Dumaine Street. There are ample chairs and tables on the balcony for more than 4 guests. The room was the epitomy of old New Orleans. It was big and roomy with that early New Orleans feel that you envision when you see these private entrance doors in the Quarter. Inside the doors is also a beautiful tropical garden with seating, and a pond with Koi. Our bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom had a clawfoot tub and shower. The room had 2 AC units, as well as a remote controlled ceiling fan.

Clayton the owner, and his house cleaning satff were eceptionally nice and hospitable. Fresh towels were provided daily. There is also cable TV in the room with a sitting area and bar. If you are looking for something other than a cookie cutter hotel experience in the French Quarter of New Orleans I highly reccomend this place. We will be returning!!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank arbit