“Great value and not a single problem to report”

Prytania Oaks Hotel
Ranked #120 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Check in went smoothly. The room was small, but nicely decorated and clean. There was some noise the first night due to the coming and going of neighbors; nothing intolerable. Bathrooms were clean and provided enough room. The hotel was within walking distance of St. Charles, the trolley and restaurants. Hotel staff gave great restaurant recommendations. Parking was free and onsite. I would have liked a bit of fruit for breakfast, but I can't complain about the breakfast either. It was adequate. We didn't encounter a single problem on our three night stay. Check out went just as smoothly as check in. I plan to visit New Orleans again in the near future and I also plan to stay here again. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family with no hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DLB86

Reviewed June 15, 2010

The best hotel that I have ever been to!!! I loved my room and The best hotel service ever! I am also a freelance photographer and took a few pics if y'all want them I can email them! Thanks again and I plan on staying here again from now on!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2010

We arrived late at night. The check-in is at the Prytania Park hotel down the street. This is a little inconvenient, especially since our cards stopped working 2 times during our stay and we had to walk over to get new ones. Security walked us over to the hotel.

We picked this hotel for its location and value. My husband had a conference at the convention center. He was able to walk over every morning. It is a 15-20 minute walk. St. Charles street is one block away, and there are ample restaurants as well as a streetcar to take you towards the French Quarter. It was very easy to navigate around the city using public transportation. The only time we had to take a taxi was to and from the airport which was a standard fee of 33$.The value of the hotel was very good, especially since you could easily spend twice as much in a hotel closer to the French Quarter. Not to mention that the Garden District is much quieter.

The hotel room itself is really nice. The floors are beautiful hardwood and the furniture (including a four-poster bed) was also lovely. The room was a little small, but it was clean, and as another person mentioned, you're there to see the city, not the inside of your room. The TV was a good size and the wireless internet worked pretty well. The bed was a little on the soft side but overall pretty comfortable. The AC worked well (definitely a necessity in New Orleans) and there was also a ceiling fan.

The continental breakfast was sometimes at the Oaks and sometimes at the Park. It consisted of cereal, instant oatmeal, coffee, juice, danishes and croissants. On the weekend they also offered waffles.

The staff was excellent. They helped us to book one of our tours and arranged for our cab to the airport.

Overall we had a really nice stay and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, clean hotel that is an excellent value.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jlwiebe
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We stayed here with my parents last weekend and I was a bit concerned because of the one horrible review but we had nothing to worry about. That reviewer's remarks were so off base. Beyond breakfast there really aren't any amenities or special services like bellman or gym but you're here to see New Orleans not the inside of a hotel. The hotel is in an old home so it has lots of character...hard woods, floor to ceiling windows, etc. We had the two upper rooms at the front with shared a balcony. All four of us were very happy with the rooms, the price and the quiet location. We had a rent car so having an FREE, off-street lot was great and the streetcar is one block away to get you into the Quarter (where finding any kind of parking is a challenge). Some might think it's away from the "action" but during our stay we visited many other parts of the city not just the Quarter so the location was good for us. Bottom line is I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank swan325
Reviewed February 3, 2010

My husband and I had reservations to stay in December, 2009. I contacted the hotel several times to inquire as to whether we could check in early, as we were driving for 16 hrs prior to arriving. We were able to check in early, however the room we were given was beautiful, but DIRTY. There were large makeup stains all over the comforter and pillows. Then, when we pulled the sheets back, there were unmentionable hairs covering the sheets. Also, we were told that the rooms came with Queen size beds, but they were doubles. We have a Queen at home, we would know. The hotel front desk person let us look at rooms in each of the other 3 properties that they own, and each one had something wrong with it -- coffee stains on the bathroom floor (from a coffee spill and could have easily been mopped up) or a toilet with the seat up and fresh urine stains on the bowl.

The only good thing about this reservation was that the hotel manager came in and called Expedia right away, in front of us, to cancel our reservation without any penalty or fee.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank singinghope
Reviewed January 21, 2010

I was driving from Houston to Atlanta and I asked my wife to fly over and meet me in New Orleans. We had not been there in ages, and since I was driving through, why not stop for a long weekend?

We found this hotel. The rate was within my budget so we decided to give it a try although we had never heard of the place and did not know what to expect. It was a great decision - we really liked the place.

It was an excellent restoration of an old building. The hotels sit next to the Halpern furniture store buildings (the owners). The rooms are immaculate and the furniture is very nice. (The hotel is owned by a furniture store proprietor- go figure!)

It is an old building. Rooms back when these places were built were smaller. I am sure if there was a way for the rooms to be enlarged they would have done it. They have a number of nice ideas that they did implement.

Location - this is an old section that is going through gentrification. The lighting made the streets and the parking lots feel secure. The hotel is one block off of St. Charles and you are only a few blocks off of Hway 90. The trolley cars are right there if you want to use them. I was driving a large pick up truck and I bought some big beers - so the trolley was a good idea for narrow streets with very few parking spots. BTW did I mention their "free parking" in well lit lots?

Service - great! Nice folks and they had maps, trolley passes, cream danish for breakfast and a nice smile too. Need help? - ask the hotel people.

It was a fun mini-adventure. We loved the hotel.

If you don't bring several suitcases, each one the size of a bale of hay on your trips, you will like the Prytania Oaks.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2010

My husband and I opted to spend our 41st anniversary in New Orleans. We had visited NO (staying in the Quarter) frequently in the past but had not been back since Katrina. Also for the last 10-15 years we have travleled mostly in our motorhome so hotel/motel experience was infrequent. We decided to try the Garden District for a change; also the rates were more reasonable and felt it would be safer to park our car--at no expense. We stayed in a 2nd floor suite open to balcony; the room was obviously newly refurbished and very clean. The weather was moderate so heating/cooling was not an issue. We had easy access to the Quarter (both driving and by trolley) and would be happy to stay there another time. The neighborhood was quiet and traffic was light.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple