“Great spot in New Orleans”

Prytania Oaks Hotel
Ranked #114 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
Canberra
“Great spot in New Orleans”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Hard to fault, really. Lovely old restored house on a street which can get busy-ish but never seemed noisy. Free parking right next to the hotel. One block from St Charles Street and it's streetcar. Hotel breakfast is at an adjacent, related hotel and is basic but perfectly adequate. There is a small but well stocked supermarket (Zara's) a few blocks away on Prytania. We had decent food and service on St Charles St at Voodoo BBQ and St Charles Tavern.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2011

My friend and I recently stayed at the Prytania Oaks. We stayed from September 27-October 1. Our visit was two fold: 1. to celebrate my 25th birthday 2. to just get away.

From the get go the service I received from this hotel was fantastic. I called ahead of time with some questions and spoke with Christine at the front desk who was pleasent and very helpful.

Our room was charming and we LOVED the bathroom. As two well maintained girls, we were both able to get dressed in there, makeup and all, without any issues. The bathroom, with the fireplace and brick trim, was gorgeous. The hardwood floors were a nice touch especially considering we're used to seeing traditional hotel carpet or tile. The rooms were well kept overall.

Now back to the service. My friend and I wanted to do some site seeing and asked the staff at the front desk for some help. Christine, again, was wonderful. We asked her a thousand questions about where to go and where not to go and she clearly took our safety into account when advising us. She was also sweet enough to highlight routes on our map. There was also another younger girl, not sure about her name but she was fairly young and wore bright pink eye shadow, who was great. She did the same and was pleasent and helpful.

My only concerns with this hotel had to do with the fact that the Oaks was a few minutes from the Park where guests have to check in. We had to wheel our luggage over to the hotel which was a bit 'different'. However, unless youre irritatingly high maintainance, you get over it quickly!
Also, the pillows on the bed need to be changed. They are old and this is evident by the fabric discoloration. Management and Ms.Schulman, please take note. Women notice. Changing them would make the room absolutely perfect.

A wonderful trip all in all. VISIT BOURBON ST. Its as awesome as they say! Be sure to also go on a haunted tour of the French Quarter.......its wicked even if you pee your pants. Also be sure to eat at the 'Cheesecake Bistro' on St.Charles. It'll change your life!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And lastly, take a walk through the garden district...the houses are MAGICAL.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dwight Shrute K
Hotels3, Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all the feedback, and I read the sites daily to be able to address issues immeidately, as they arise. I have noted your memo on the pillows, and will handle this immediately with the Executive Hskping Staff.

Fondly,
Dori H Schulman
Topeka KS
Reviewed October 5, 2011

This is my third visit to NO in two years, and I guess this one was the charm. This hotel was absolutely ideal, with genuine Garden District charm combined with up-to-date convenience and comfort. My king room stepped out onto a spacious front porch on Prytania Street. The room was extremely spacious, with a very comfortable bed, desk and chair, side chair, great storage space, security safe, flat panel TV, wifi, microwave, frig, coffee maker, spacious bath, and separate vanity area with a second sink -- plus the character of high ceilings, old paneled doors, wood plank floors, and large windows. This is a sister property to the Prytania Park Hotel, just around the corner, but here at the Oaks, no children are allowed (I think I've died and gone to heaven).

Check-in was gracious and friendly, and on-site parking is free. The hotel is a block from St Charles and the streetcar, so even if you aren't a walker, you can get anywhere easily. Emeril's Delmonico is three blocks away, the WW II Museum is only a half mile, and there is a myriad of services within easy walking distance of this lovely hotel.

Compared to the French Quarter or the popular Warehouse District, this Garden District location is a peaceful escape. There is some traffic on Prytania by day, but only sporadically -- and it was never an issue for sleeping at night.

Did I mention that this hotel is a killer value? When I return to NO, this is absolutely where I'll stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Scotland
Reviewed October 5, 2011

A well-priced small hotel on the edge of the Garden District and reasonably convenient for the city centre - either by walking (10-15 mins) or by tram (5 mins or so). The surrounding area is a bit scruffy and you probably want to take care if you were out walking after dark.
Facilities were clean and adequate. Breahfast was pretty basic and a bit disappointing compared to the usual standard of US hotels.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Silver70s
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Fantastic hotel. All pros & no cons. A must stay for anyone visiting NOLA. We are all born & raised in NOLA & now live in GA. & AL., but we come home quite often throughout the year. Prytania Oaks will be our hotel of choice from this point on.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Jermstick
East London, South Africa
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Prytania Oaks for four nights this month. The room was clean, cool and comfortable, and we even had our own small balcony, from which I loved to watch people walk, cycle and drive by. The neighbourhood is old, quaint and quiet. The St. Charles streetcar is only a block away, which makes it very easy to access other areas like the French Quarter. However, there are many excellent shops, sights and restaurants close by. The front desk staff are friendly and helpful, and provided me with maps, magazines, and excellent recommendations. I highly recommend the Prytania Oaks, and if I'm ever in New Orleans again, I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the street.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CaraBeanZA
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This is a very nice hotel away from the noise and crowds downtown. Parking is easy and free and the rooms were scrupulously clean and comfortable. The streetcar is only a block away and is a quick and easy ride to the French Quarter. Or catch it in the other direction to see more of the really interesting Garden District.

The lady on the front desk was so nice and helpful. Breakfast was a little basic but as advertised. On not sure why the precious reviewer had an issue with the furnishings, but our room was probably the most comfortable I encountered on a 4 week holiday staying in similar-level accommodations.

If you don't want to stay in the thick of things and are looking for excellent value for money, I can recommend the Prytania Oaks.

• Stayed August 2011