“Just happened by it”

Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Chartres House is a local favorite—a French Quarter landmark serving casual dishes and classic drinks in an intimate, historical environment. This antebellum building, once a favorite haunt of Tennessee Williams, is now home to a menu featuring duck quesadillas, classic New Orleans BBQ shrimp, muffalettas and more. Dine on the balcony or in the intimate courtyard, or join the local crowd after hours for quick bites and cocktails.
East Stroudsburg, Pa
“Just happened by it”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

First night really no plans for dinner so we just walked around the French Quarter and risked picking a place. Greater was friendly in front, menu looked good so in we went.Great and friendly waiter who did not rush us and dealt with my wifes poor eyesite in reading the menu. Had a seat in back by street window and a parade broke out, wow only in NOLA. Now the food: There was 4 of us wife,son, daughter in law. Fried green tomatoes to die for, shrimp in cajun sause amazing,chicken alfredo yum,Jumbalaya tasted just right. We then sat and drank in this uncrowded place and were not rushed. My only regret from a management standpoint is they desearve to be crowded for an affordable and enjoyable meal. Staying in French Quarter GO HERE.

• Visited April 2014
ChartresHouseGM, Manager at Chartres House, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to submit a review. We are glad you had a great visit & grateful that you recommend for others to come here as well. Hope to see you again soon!

“Friendly staff, great food.”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We came here on a whim. The two of us shared the blackened shrimp jambalaya which was soo delicious, perfectly seasoned and flavoured with cajan spice, highly recommended. We also shared the alligator appetiser which was surprisingly nice although slightly over salted.
We sat out in the courtyard outback which was quieter than the restaurant. Overall and enjoyable experience and we would come back here again.

Brisbane, Australia
“Great food and friendly staff”
Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

The waitress was very friendly and helpful with recommendations, which is always a great start to a dining experience.

We felt the need for a healthier meal (eat inNew Orleans for a few days and you'll understand why) so two I'd us ordered salads. Even do, they were delicious and had a Louisiana twist, the chicken in its coating and the shrimp with their dusting if something BBQ-y!

We splurged on desert though and had the best chocolate mousse cake and bread and butter pudding we've ever had.

The dragon berry mojito is also worth a try if you like a slightly sweeter cocktail.

Good value meals is a comfortable environment with friendly staff. Can't ask for more than that.

ChartresHouseGM, Manager at Chartres House, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I'm happy that you found a way to enjoy the New Orleans cuisine without the guilt by having the lighter entrees and saving the space for our hearty desserts. We hope to see you again soon.
New Hampshire
“French Quarter Fun”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stopped in at Chartres House for the first time and had a wonderful experience. I enjoyed a good Bloody Mary, some piping hot fried alligator bites, and lively conversation with the staff, who were friendly and helpful.

It's on the corner of the block, with big doors that retract, so the air moves freely through and you get all the sounds and smells of the French Quarter. If you want seating that's a little more quiet, they have an adorable courtyard in the back of the place. They also have balcony seating upstairs. I was glad to discover Chartres House, and I'll visit again when I'm in NOLA.

Duluth, Minnesota, United States
“Great staff Good food”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The menu is typical NOLA fare. My companion had grilled shrimp on a salad which was quite tasty but my shrimp plate was a bit too crisp and over battered for my taste. The service was excellent and attentive yet not invasive. The recorded music was an eclectic mix which had me scratching my head at times given that good music is so available in this city.

• Visited March 2014