“BEST CORN & CRAB BISQUE”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chartres House

Chartres House
Ranked #162 of 1,932 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: Chartres House is a local favorite—a French Quarter landmark serving casual dishes and classic drinks in an intimate, historical environment. This antebellum building, once a favorite haunt of Tennessee Williams, is now home to a menu featuring duck quesadillas, classic New Orleans BBQ shrimp, muffalettas and more. Dine on the balcony or in the intimate courtyard, or join the local crowd after hours for quick bites and cocktails.
Birmingham, Alabama
“BEST CORN & CRAB BISQUE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Corn & Crab Bisque is one of my favorite dishes and whenever it is on a menu, I definitely order it. Therefore, I've had many Corn & Crab Bisques and I can truthfully say that I think the Chartres House's Corn & Crab Bisque is one of the best, if not THE best. I would definitely go back there again just to order the Bisque. My daughter and I went to the Chartres House for the first time on a Friday evening around 7:15 pm. We were promptly seated in the dining room area. Our server, Petar V, promptly took our drink order. My daughter ordered the gumbo and I, of course, ordered the Corn & Crab Bisque. We ordered the hot muffaletta and the hot sausage poboy to split. The Corn & Crab Bisque was very tasty with a lot of crab in it. The muffaletta was huge, enough for 2 people. It was delicious! The hot sausage poboy was delicious, too, but might be a little spicy for some people. Needless to say, we did take some of the entrees back to the hotel where we enjoyed them for breakfast the next morning! Service was great! The total bill was around $49.00 not including the tip. We ordered two cokes which were $2.95 each so I you can get by with water, you can trim the cost. In any case, I am looking forward to going back next time I'm in New Orleans!

• Visited February 2013

Atlanta, GA
“Just OK, except for drinks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

The food was really just average. The attendant at the door was not really interested in helping us make room at the bar for us. The drinks were really good, but the food was a disappointment.

Thomas B, General Manager at Chartres House, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at my restaurant. It is only through guest interaction that we can address our areas of opportunity. While I am happy you enjoyed your drinks, I am concerned about the experience with the host and the food. I have shared the comments with my management staff and we will work to ensure that we take measures to correct the issues. Next time you are in the New Orleans area, I invite you back in to see if we were successful. Thank you again and i hope to see you sometime in the future.
Sincerely
Thomas B
Chartres House
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Had an early dinner with my husband and 2 kids (11 & 13). Although we were probably not their target clientele, we were greeted and serviced very efficiently and with a smile. We had the Jambalaya, crawfish stuffed catfish and blackened chicken club, all excellent picks. Highly recommend.

Visited March 2013
New Braunfels, Texas
“"Fantastic Duck Quesadilla"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We eat at Chartres House Cafe at least once each time we come to New Orleans. The food has always been great. The same server took care of us this year and last year for Mardi Gras. He is so nice and it was great to see he was still there a year later. The doors are always open and you can watch people walk by. It is a great place to eat. You have to get the Duck Quesadillas and the Crawfish Pasta. They are to die for.

• Visited February 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Nothing special and very slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We ate lunch here on Saturday on Superbowl weekend. So expected crowds. However, we ate at 2pm, ordered, soup and easy food...it took almost 35 minutes to get food. At that point, all the crowds were gone. I ordered shrimp creole, which was fine. The gumbo was ok. I wouldn't recommend. The wait staff was apologetic about the long wait, but nonetheless, it was not a great experience.