“Best 21/2 hours in New Orleans! great food beer and entertaining! a must”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cookin' Cajun Cooking School
Reviewed September 22, 2009

A great way to spend 2 1/2 hours of great entertainment and food and great beer! A must do and a great way to learn to cook!

3  Thank ward1314

Reviewed May 12, 2009

This is a great, fun and educational experience. Attending a class at the school is just one of the many things to do in NO and a must! You get not only an education about the food but the local culture and history as well. The food served is SO good too!

Keep in mind you actually are not cooking, it's set up like a cooking show. It would have been cool to actually cook something BUT the total experience made up for that!

4  Thank ftrujillo
Reviewed July 8, 2008

My husband and I were perusing the little kitchen shop in front of Cookin' Cajun, when we just happened to run across this little cooking school. To our good fortune we discovered that after the morning classes conclude, they transform themselves into a cafe which serves a limited menu of Cajun fare.

I'm here to tell you, although this food was served at a long, folding cafeteria table on styro plates with plastic utensils, it was the absolute best I had during my whole trip to NOLA, which is so well known for its cuisine.

I'm not joking...we dined at some of the old standbys, all of which were a great deal fancier, but if you take away the trappings, and all you have left is the food, this place beat them all hands down. They served the best Cajun food I have ever tasted, not at all reminiscent of "Zatarains" as I found to be the case elsewhere!

We had the "Slap Yo' Mama" Chicken and vegetarian red beans and rice, and it was fabulous! We liked the chicken so well we couldn't leave LA without a container of the "Slap Yo' Mama" seasoning. I even brought some home to my mother-in-law (there is a joke in there somewhere!)

We didn't get an opportunity to take the class due to time constraints, but we promised to do so next time. If we can learn to reproduce what came from Cookin' Cajun's kitchen, it would be a morning well spent.

8  Thank NC-Happy-Camper
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Even if you already know how to make a gumbo or a jambalaya, you’re going to love taking a class at ‘Cajun Cookin.’ You go for the food, the fun, and the people. The day I was there, teacher Karin and manager Sandra traded banter, told funny stories, and shared Katrina hurricane horror stories while cooking. Sandra told us of her mixed race Creole heritage – French, Indian, African, Irish, and even (don’t ask) Chinese – “my relatives are very friendly people.” And she shared her story of losing everything to Katrina – “We got by living with relatives thanks to Prozac!” You spend two hours in their company listening, laughing, watching and tasting traditional NOLA cuisine, and end up eating a full lunch of what’s been made that day. All this for $25. I already knew a bit about Cajun/Creole cooking, but thanks to this class I learned a lot about ingredients (what is filé), methods of preparation (how to make a good roux), and the names of dishes (jambalaya = French/Spanish for ham plus African for rice). Classes are held in their cafe at the back of their culinary store in the shiny new Riverwalk complex.

7  Thank Aude11