“Lovely, quaint place in historic district”

Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection
Ranked #63 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
New York-
“Lovely, quaint place in historic district”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2009

We came to Blue Green Club La Pension through an exchange with RCI. We are not members of this particular TIme Share location and after reading some of the reviews previously, I had some doubts about our upcoming trip. I didnt expect a 5star hotel and thats not what this is.

We had a very clean, lovely suite of rooms that had recently been redecorated. It had a Jacuzzi bath in it, which was good after the long walks we took around the French Quarter . The staff there, especially Charmaine, was always friendly and helpful. If we needed extra coffee or anything, it was there in a snap. We were on the 4th floor and there is a terrace outside and a Hot Tub and Ice Machine that you can all utilize 24 hrs a day. We felt very safe here even though we were only two blocks from Burbon Street which gets very rowdy at night to say the least.

The restaurants are right nearby and so very good. I especially recommend Oliviers across the street for excellent Creole Cooking and wonderful restful atmosphere. It is a far cry from Acme Oyster House, which had great Oysters and Fried Fish dishes at a very reasonably price but is bustling and noisey. Dont forget to go down the streat to Cafe Du Monde any time of the day or night for their specialties

Chairmaine recommended two wonderful tours . One, a tour that included , Post Hurricaine, Cemetery Tour, The City, and for another day we took the Swamp Tour on airboat. They were both fascinating and well run. There is a River walk and Moon Walk area two blocks from the Hotel for a lovely night stroll by the Mississippi. And dont forget that Harrahs is two blocks away for a little gaming too.

All and all, we had a great get away for a week, and would recommend this place to anyone who wishes to see the city from a perspective of being right in the French Quarter yet feeling very comfortable in a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LadyRose11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

We had stayed here a couple of times before Katrina and had been happy with our accommodations, but the resort had a few bad reviews after the hurricane and apparently also lost its Silver Crown status with RCI. Therefore, it was with some misgiving that we decided to reserve for this year. We shouldn't have worried! We were pleased with our 1 BR condo and had no problems during the week we were there.

This is a long review, but we are somewhat picky and I've tried to answer the questions I might have about unknown accommodations.

Pros:

Great location! The resort is in historic buildings near the end of Decatur St, near Canal St., so it is just inside the French Quarter but not in the noisiest part of it. Our unit was near the lobby elevator on the second floor, and the BR window looked out on the small street that runs parallel to Decatur. It was very quiet except for the occasional voices of people at the elevator, which could not even be heard from the bedroom. We heard no noise from the little back street. Everything in the FQ is within walking distance, and the resort is very close to the St. Charles streetcar and Harrah's. Both Royal St. and Bourbon St. run parallel to Decatur, so they are only two or three blocks away. There is an Italian restaurant next door, but we didn't eat there.

The units are condos, and ours was clean and well equipped. It had a separate living room with a dining table, kitchen, bath, and a bedroom with a queen size poster bed. The kitchen, though very small, was a full one except for an oven; it even had a small dishwasher and garbage disposal. The bathroom had a large Jacuzzi tub with shower. The unit had a hair dryer, ironing board and iron, in-room safe, and shampoo/conditioner, soap, bath salts, and body lotion were provided, as were paper towels, dishwasher detergent (machine and hand), and coffee for the fullsize coffee maker. There were plenty of glasses, dishes, utensils, pans, etc., also a toaster and blender. Two TV's, DVD player, and a Murphy (wall) bed. There is a computer in the lobby that guests may use and wireless Internet in the units for a charge, although we were always able to pick up a free wireless signal from other sources.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Check in and out were very fast and are available 24 hours a day. Housekeeping replenished towels, bath amenities, coffee everyday and emptied the trash, and there was full HK service mid-week at no charge. On the days we didn't need anything from HK, we received a call to confirm that. We had a slight problem with the tub the first day, and maintenance was there within 5 minutes. No further problems. We asked for a larger pitcher and extra coffee, and it was brought within 5 minutes. Can't say enough good things about housekeeping! Although the two of us showered and filled the Jacuzzi, we never ran out of hot water, and the A/C worked fine.

There is a hot tub, snack machine, and lounge chairs on the roof, but we didn't go up there on this visit. There is also a small courtyard on the property. There are laundry facilites on site, available at certain times of day, but we didn't use them.

Without exception, the other guests we saw here were friendly and pleasant. There were probably some party goers--it is the FQ--but we never had any problem with noise.

Seemed secure--After the first day, we had to use our key card to enter the building from outside.

We had no surprises or extra fees upon checkout.

This is a timeshare condo property, but we were not even asked if we wanted to attend a sales presentation! "Timeshare" was never mentioned. We were exchange guests (Hilton/RCI), so I don't know whether paying guests would be asked (pestered?) or not.

Cons:

This resort is in old historic buildings, which is part of its charm, so the units have various layouts. On one of our previous stays, we were in a townhouse type unit with the BR upstairs. According to a recent review here, not all units are in as good condition as ours have been. I suppose you could ask for a specific type of unit when reserving. Our unit had only one large window, in the BR, but the unit had plenty of lighting.

There is no on site restaurant or deli, and there is no swimming pool or spa. This is not unusual in the FQ, and there are many great restaurants within easy walking distance. We were told the Coke machine on the roof had been removed for some reason. The resort does not have on site parking, but a car is not really needed here. Parking garages in the FQ can be expensive.

Not having a washer and dryer in the unit was inconvenient, and the wireless Internet provided by the resort was not free (about $7/day or just under $30/wk). The free signals we were able to pick up were weak but, luckily, always worked. Most of the resorts we visit provide free Internet in the units. The free computer in the lobby is a plus if you don't bring your own computer, though.

We were not aware of any planned activites, although this is probably the norm for FQ timeshares. At some TS resorts in other areas, breakfast and/or other activites are sometimes provided on certain days. Not a problem.

Our unit was very nice, big enough, and well maintained, but not new or luxurious (no granite countertops, has standard appliances, the dark bathroom fixtures seemed out of style). We had no complaints, but it's not as upscale or spacious as our Hilton timeshare. This isn't really a negative as long as you're not expecting a new, luxurious resort.

To recap, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The only reason for rating it 4 instead of 5 is that it isn't as upscale as some, had no washer/dryer in the unit, and has no pool or on site restaurant. We plan to stay here again when we return to New Orleans.

A condo for a week is great! We've enjoyed our timeshare exchanges, including this one.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sjeanusa
azusa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

After reading some of the previous reviews I was a little worried about what my room and this hotel would be like... but I have to say that it had everything I needed and more. I came across this hotel through my RCI timeshare and decided to exchange my week here.There were 2 of us in the room so we werent crowded. I slept in the murphy bed in the living room (bed that folds up back into the wall) and it was soooo comfy!! Our room opened up onto the street on the second floor and I had no isues with street noise. My friend who slept in the bedroom slept with earplugs- she's a light sleeper- and also was able to sleep through the night. The hotel is on the edge of the French quarter which for us was perfect because we didnt necessarily want to be in the heart of all the action and noise BUT it was within walking distance of ALL attractions in the French Quarter, we even walked to the National D-Day museum from there, which is not in the quarter. The full kitchen was also great, towards the end of our trip we started using it to cook breakfast and even a dinner. Reception was also very helpful in providing us with maps, info, and even booked 2 of our tours. I definitely recommend this place and would stay here again!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank monpon
Powder Springs, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2009

I am a former resident of New Orleans and return to visit with family and friends often. This was my first stay at Club La Pension and while I loved the location and the staff I would not recommend the property unless you know that you are in a renovated room.

We exchanged thru RCI and were in the property's oldest building; while they are working on renovating all the units these units are seriously in need of repairs. We checked in on Friday and our AC was worked on daily until it was finally repaired on Tuesday. I requested another room but was advised nothing else was available. There were rooms available but reserved for owners, not the best practice when a guest has had maintenance in the room 5 days. It appears that the exchange guests don't get the renovated rooms so I would try to check this before confirming.

We stayed in unit 34 and I would discourage anyone from renting this room because of the noise. The room is spacious and has a great view of Canal St. but there is a taxi stand just outside the windows and the drivers begin congregating at 4:30 AM and they are VERY loud! The property really should address this with the drivers because if you are a light sleeper you won't get much sleep. I also had the opportunity to look at unit 32 and it was terrible, very dark and very small.

The location is wonderful if you like to walk, from here you can walk to many, many wonderful restaurants, the riverfront, the aquarium, Riverwalk, Jax Brewery, Harrah's and all over the Quarter. There is no need to rent a car unless you need to travel outside the area. If you do rent a car there is no parking at the hotel and they recommend a lot that is 5 or 6 blocks away. There is a lot just around the corner on Iberville that charges the same ($20 per day) and I would use that one instead.

Although there are too many wonderful restaurants to mention I will point out that the Italian restaurant next door, Giovanni's, is wonderful and well worth a try! If you are in the mood for dessert, check out the bar at Shula's in the JW Marriott, bring a crowd to share because they have the largest desserts I have ever seen. My husband and I ordered two desserts and it took us 4 days to finish them.

If you get a renovated room at Club La Pension you will love this place and Chamaine at the front desk is WONDERFUL!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bking00
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

This trip was a few days of business and a few days of leisure. I read several reviews before I went so I had some expectation that the unit would be small (I booked a 1 bedroom unit) and the amenities would be sparse compared to some of the other places I've stayed. I also knew with all the activities of the city I wouldn't spend much time in the unit. With that said, I enjoyed the resort.

Check-in was just okay. The front desk is very small and it would have been nice to have more staff available to help but they were friendly and it was Friday so I just sucked and up and kept going. I did like that they weren't pushing an owner update or any other sales tactics.

The unit was small but very comfortable. The bed slept very well. There was plenty of space for my guest and I to unpack our things for the week. Even the small bathroom proved very spacious. The kitchen was small but fully accessorized except for an oven which I rarely use anyway. There was a dining table and four chairs but I can't imagine actually cooking and sitting down for a "real" meal in the unit due to the size. Convenient for a quick snack or restaurant leftovers though.

One of the reviews I read was that the water was cold. I found that on the days I was up early (6am) the water just needed to run a little while to heat up. On the late days or in the evening the water was very hot.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. Somehow there was a miscommunication regarding towel service which was immediately resolved once it was brought to the staff's attention. Anything that I needed the staff was right there to help with.

The outside noise was very loud outside but the property is old and it is New Orleans just off Canal Street. The noise generally seemed to die down around 3am and wasn't as bad during the week.

I will say that I missed having an in-unit washer and dryer. There is supposed to be a laundry on-site but I didn't have time to use it. It's only available from 5pm-7am so make sure you pack well or plan to use the laundry service.

If you are looking for a 5-star resort this is probably not the place for you. If you are looking for a nice, accessible, comfortable place to stay I would give Club La Pension the thumbs up. I would definitely stay there again.

Oh yeah, they had just installed free WiFi a few days before I arrived and it worked without any problem.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank MyTripAroundTheWorld
san diego,ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

We booked a 2 bedroom/2 bath through our RCI timeshare. I recommend that RCI take it out of the resort listings because it is so terrible. They had not checked the room before our arrival. The air conditioning was broken, the shower head was broken and sprayed across the room. The maintenance man was in our unit every day fixing something. I would not put my feet on the old old carpet. The housekeeping staff did not change our towels or empty the trash for 2 consecutive days. We reported problems to the front desk staff. They were nice, but were totally ineffective. The traffic noise is so bad, I had trouble sleeping with heavy duty ear plugs. The motorcycles on the weekends never stop. There are many nice high end hotels on Canal street which is a very busy, noisy street, but I'm sure they have sound proof windows. Club La Pension said they could not afford them. New Orleans is very inexpensive. Don't waste your timeshare points or your money here. The location is good, but that's about all.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank prissySanDiego
alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

I belong to a timeshare exchange (II). That is how I found this place. I find that any of the places I have stayed with II are a bit 'timeworn'. The room/suite was not bad. It was comfortable for 2 people. The facilities lacked amenities, as the previous review suggested. The location is definantly a good thing! Walkig distance to everything!

oops...I did not take any photos of the place!

• Liked — The location was excellent.
  • Disliked — No anemities and housekeeping
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family