“Great fun and food!”

Plaza Suite Hotel Resort
Ranked #131 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We adored all the staff and our entire week! Absolutely the best restaurants steps away from our door, Ernst, Mother's, Pie, etc. Very best stay ever anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mgiff4d

Reviewed July 17, 2010

After reading the review from July 6, we were scared of what we were going to find when we checked in on July 9, 2010. Much to our surprise, our accomodations were awesome. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit and enjoyed it immensely! There's only 2 things we would have liked to seen: (1) a bigger frig (with two 17-year-old boys...more frig space would have been nice) and (2) better parking arrangements. There is a parking lot about 1/2 block away but parking on the street near the hotel would be more accomodating. We were lucky and only had to pay for 9 hours ($15) and the other nights, we were able to find street parking. Another asset to this property is the front desk staff! They were cordial and very helpful at all times. For the property being a renovated 1800's firehouse, I think it is well worth the money (or RCI exchange as we did). You are in walking distance of the French Quarter, Harrah's Casino, the Riverwalk Mall and the Streetcars. What more could you ask for!? I'm sure the people that wrote bad reviews must have had a bad experience but I must say our experience was great! We would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Kittykane26
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We decided to stay at this hotel on the recommendation of a friend. I am originally from New Orleans and knew exactly where the hotel was located and was concerned about the parking situation. I called the hotel directly last February and spoke to the manager who assured me there was parking but told me that since it was a special event weekend the cost of the room was much higher. The fact that the special event was for 3 days and the other 4 days were not special didn't change the price of the last 4 days. I accepted this, paid $250/night for seven nights (ahead of time and no cancellations) and he added $15 a day for off street-parking. We got to the hotel and were told that, not only was there no parking, there hadn't been for over a year (we made reservations in February of 2010 for July, 2010) and the deskclerk stated we couldn't have paid for parking. After a fifteen minute arguement where I showed him the room cost and asked just what did he think the difference was, he agreed that I had paid for parking, but that was too bad, there was none and hadn't been any when I paid! Maybe I would get my money back, he said, but the manager would not be in for three days. I could park on the street or down the block at $25 for 10 hours. My husband was not pleased to have to get up at 5 AM the next morning to move the car since the time had expired. Both the web site and the information book in the room states there is parking. The room itself needed maintenance. There was no shower head in my son's bathroom and nothing could be done there for three days either. The huge stain on the carpet was either rain or vomit, we never figured out which, the chain on the fan continually broke, necessitating my 60+ husband getting up on a table to fix it, the elevator service was iffy and the walls so thin that not only did we smell our neighbors' smoking, we could hear them argue until 4 AM and their music was so loud, we thought there was piped in music in our suite and had the deskclerk up to ty to figure out how to turn it off! Then on Sunday the staff turned rap on very loudly in the atrium and proceeded to leave! According to the hotel information book in our room part of our charges ($4/day) was for phone service and in room wifi. The phones were not plugged in and the wifi signal was too weak to connect. The refrigerator was not turned on before we got there so when we went to refrigerate leftovers, it took hours for it to cool down. The mattresses felt like they were left-over futons and the towels were so skimpy that they could have come from a dorm! All this for $250 a night! We decided to leave after three days and find other accommodations and the manager said no refund on the room (we are supposed to get our prepaid parking credited) because it is a time-share and we had the week. Excuse me, but then why is it called a hotel-resort and why can people rent by the day! No compensation from the hotel for all the extra parking costs we incurred! We are seasoned travelers who have gone to all 50 states and to five of the seven continents. We have rented self-catering apartments many times but knew that was what we were getting. We didn't even get the garbage emptied the one day our room was cleaned. We now are out over $1000 plus what we are paying at the new hotel, but are so delighted we are out of that place that we are willing to take the loss. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank BJinNM
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I loved our room! It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Yet we within walking distance of great bars, restaurants, and shopping.

The staff was very courteous and went out of their way to make our stay a personable experience. I'll definitely be back. Thanks to Kyndel (staff) for suggesting such wonderful restaurants!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank LouisianaMommy2
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We reserved the room through RCI, stayed a week. The location of the property is excellent, far enough from the French Quarter to make it quiet, yet close enough to walk to nearly everywhere. The streetcar stops are close by, too.

The staff, especially Renee and Kyndel, went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. We were able to get the adjoining room for our friends, as the fold-out sofabed was really uncomfortable (otherwise, the unit fit our needs perfectly). Then our unit's AC went out (this was right before Christmas), and we ended up moving to a much nicer room with large windows and a balcony with a hot tub. That room developed a water leak from the building next door, right into the bedroom - we chose not to move (the staff offered to move us once again, but as we were leaving soon, we declined) as it was in the corner and not really affecting us, as we weren't spending a lot of time in the room.

One major caveat is to ask when reserving if you will get a room with windows - our original room did NOT have any, and that was hard for the claustrophobic one in our group. As noted, the second room we were given had lovely large windows and a balcony w/hot tub. The kitchen was large enough to use for breakfast (who eats dinner in the condo in New Orleans??). No internet in the rooms, but the atrium area was available for wireless connections.

I would recommend this to those wanting to stay near the French Quarter without the noise of the area - but call and find out about the available rooms.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank jkiel
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Traveling with my mother, my three teens and my sister, this was the only time in my life I needed a bellman. Of the four men sitting around in the bay/lobby area, not one offered a hand...very dissappointing. Rooms very nicely decorated with exposed beams, brick walls interior, nice carpet and furnishing. Building and common area pretty cool as it was an old firehourse. Kitchen lacking with a dorm sized frig so used our cooler the week for most of our food which was a pain draining and re-icing. Also, had trouble with downstairs bathtub but staff did fix it w/i the hour. The upstairs toilet ran the last couple of days and you had to remove tank top, tap the stopper to get it to fill up! Fun. We also went to their companion resort in Marietta so we could swim, the pool was nice but there was no bathroom to use there! Am I picky, yes, but this was too much! Didn't let it mess up our trip though, New Orleans was a blast!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank wendy4635
Reviewed June 24, 2009

We found the resort clean with alot of personality. Being a renovated 1870's firehouse it was in good shape. The bathrooms leave alot to be desired. They are small and the shower sprays a steady but fine mist. The water is good to drink without an odor or taste. Remember to take your own shampoo and conditioner the ones provided are harsh.
It is located within a block of Harrah's casino.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple