“Excellent if you don't require a lot of pampering!!”

and 1 more site!
Plaza Suite Hotel Resort
Ranked #129 of 163 Hotels in New Orleans
“Excellent if you don't require a lot of pampering!!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Loved our stay in Plaza Suites during the years French Quarter Jazz Fest!! Check-in was a breeze and the front desk attendant was very friendly and gave us LOTS of great tips for our first trip back to NOLA in 15 years! We were put into a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit with a small kitchen. The building has a lot of character because it was a renovated fire house but stand by, because the 2 bedroom unit was quite small, the second bedroom is actually a loft (we were on the third and top floor). Layout is a bit rough but they had to make do with what they had. The main floor bedroom was small but spectacular thanks to one brick wall and 30 foot ceilings! Fixtures were basic, so if you're looking for granite, look elsewhere, you will be disappointed here! Bathrooms are also small but the main floor bath had a jacuzzi tub and larger shower. Kitchen has a small (tall dorm room) refrigerator but a nice stove/ microwave.

During the course of our stay the front desk attendant showed us their one bedroom units on the "newer side" - those looking for a more upscale feel will find it there - it was like night and day between that side of the hotel and ours!

The hotel is a short walk to Harrrahs and the Riverwalk and very close to Ruth Chris' and other nice restaurants. After 5 days I was a little worn out from the 15 minute walk to/from the French Quarter multiple times a day but that was our choice - the pedal taxis would have been perfect for that location.

Overall a great basic place to stay and we would definitely stay here again!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diana S

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Halliday ND
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have stayed at the Plaza Suites on 2 different trips to New Orleans. It is a wonderful place to stay with plenty of room in the suites. It is much better then the tiny suite we stayed at in the Riverside Hilton and just a few blocks away. It is a refurbished old fire station with a great presence to it and is about a block or 2 from the Harrah's casino.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rezboy
Winchester, Virginia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This place needs to completely regroup and start over. I tried to stay here with friends who are timeshare owners and traded for a week in New Orleans. From check in to the discovery of a monster leak in the bedroom to the Sound of Music meets RV Park decor this place is a disaster. They had to move us to another property and the process and inconvenience of the entire episode was just handled horribly. Run as far away from this place as no one involved has any idea how to treat patrons and provide a customer service experience. If dirty rooms with dated furnishings that are cigarette burned and ceilings leaking buckets of water are your thing, this is your place. Ugh!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michaelman_26

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Three work colleagues and I shared a 2 bedroom room on level 3 for 7 nights during a convention in Nov 2012. Our room exceeded expectations, with a living room, kitchen 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. 2 shared the 2 double beds upstairs with a desk and bathroom, 1 had the pull out sofabed and I had the kingbed room. We basically just used it for sleeping so it was just right for our needs.

The location was very close and convenient to the Convention center (work) and a couple blocks away from French Quarter (play), it was just perfect! Although dated, the room was generally quite clean. The independent airconditioning was super cold we had to turn it down. Very quiet at night. Room service was also prompt each day, but do not service on Sundays. Kyndel was a lovely to contact for reservations and was very helpful. The online site doesn't work so better email or just telephone. And Rene is also very lovely, once you get pass her slightly stand-offish demeanor, she's a treasure trove of NOLA information. Overall we were extremely happy with the accommodation and will definitely stay here again next Convention!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank CBDChick
McLean, Virginia, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband, teenage son and daughter, and I went to New Orleans for a wedding and my brother offered us his timeshare. We loved the location since we could walk everywhere. I had stayed in the French Quarters on previous visits to NO. This hotel is only a few blocks from the French Quarters but it is a much quiter area. Kendall gave us very helpful suggestions for parking. (You can park for 24 hours free at the nearby casino if you spend half an hour gambling, which ended up costing us an average of $5/day.) I am kind of glad the hot tub wasn't working because it was right outside of our suite (#101). We had a two room suite.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Ann W
New York
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here with my SO during an AAP convention using my RCI exchange..
We stayed in suite 303. I loved the high ceilings and the fact that it had a duplex layout with 2 full bathrooms.
Apart from the needed skylite, the windows viewed out to the indoor courtyard.
I wasn't too impressed with the wifi, couldn't get a connection even late at night, although at other times I did see other guests using their laptops.
The kitchen was adequate, although we didn't really need to fix more than a few breakfast items and heat up take out in the microwave. I've slept on more comfortable pillows, but the bed was ok.
The daily housekeeping was unexpected.
I loved the fact that it was within walking distance to everywhere we needed to go. 7 minutes wak to the convention center, the Hilton, Riverwalk Mall and less than 15 minutes to the opposite corner of Jackson square or the war museum. And this is me walking in wedge heels, I'll bring sneakers next time.
We had no problems with the day or night staff, they were just fine.
Yes the Jacuzzi's didn't work, but we spent more time outside enjoying ourselves and eating the tasty local cuisines to be concerned about that. This place was great for this trip, but not something I would book if I had just got married.
Overall I would stay at this resort again if I can get an RCI timeshare exchange for New Orleans.

Room Tip: Opt for the the suites on the 3rd floor, they are duplex. The suites on the outside walls have windo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank mickey4me2
New Orleans
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The hotel room was actually very nice. However, the customer service leaves a lot to be desired. Kendall treated us very poorly and didn't care about anything. You would think that someone in the hospitality business would know how to speak to customers. I would rate the hotel very low based on the experience I had with this man. I am still trying to get in touch with the owner of the hotel but he has yet to return any of my calls. There are much better places to stay in New Orleans, with employees who put their customers first. Kendall is an awful manager and should not be in charge of running this hotel. Th sad part is, the hotel is cute and has potential, but will get nowhere with a man like Kendall treating customers the way he does.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple