“Nicer inside than what it looks like outside”

Deja Vu Bar & Grill
Ranked #201 of 1,978 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Diner, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Property not impressive from the outside, but is nice and clean inside. Went for a late lunch, was quiet. Had hambuger steak and fries (long skinny crispy fries-nice). Corner of Dauphine and Conti street one block off of bourbon, is opened 24 hr.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have had several rather lengthy stays in the French Quarter over the past few months (and, in fact, I am returning to the Quarter for yet one more stay in a few days. ...!), and, after having discovered Deja Vu early during my first stay, back in June of this year, I had numerous deja vu experiences upon visiting this place again and again during my second stay in the Quarter as well, in late July.

Much as I stated in my first review, this place is a pub and restaurant that is open 24-hours per day, 7 days per week, and it is a total dive bar, and I mean that in the very best sense of the word!

I have, so far, mainly tended to eat breakfasts here, along with an occasional lunch, and I love the menu, the food, the waitstaff, and, most of all, the ambiance, including the other customers, who cover a broad and fascinating spectrum!

One word of warning for you if you prefer real butter (you know, from cows) as opposed to the margarine-type spreads made from semi-synthetic fats: While this joint did have real butter on hand during my first few visits here during my visit to the Quarter in June, I learned during my visits here during my second and latest stay in July that they no longer have any real butter at all, and two different waiters, after having checked with the kitchen, informed me that they are unlikely to start offering real butter again. So, if you prefer real butter, as do I, you will be disappointed in that regard!

And one tip for those of you who love people: Very early on some Friday and Saturday mornings, perhaps from about 5:20 AM until about 6:30 AM (they are always gone by about 6:50 AM), you will sometimes enter the pub and find that, along with the regular crowd, the place is jam-packed with a large number of off-duty strippers, all of them by now wearing their regular everyday street clothes, who work at the strip clubs on Bourbon Street. They usually come in with their friends, and so, when they descend upon the place in the early morning hours, the place becomes very crowded, and the noise level raises commensurably! I have eaten an early-morning breakfast at this pub several times when they have been there, and their presence has made the place even more entertaining than it usually is! (And yes, for those few who might be concerned, I have always found these off-duty strippers and their friends who sometimes visit this pub during the very early morning hours to be very well-behaved, and also very polite and articulate!

Overall, much as I stated in my first review of this dive bar, this is an excellent place, and I say this even though I do not drink alcohol and do not smoke, and even though I normally dislike noisy bars and pubs! I strongly encourage you, whether you are female or male, old or young (but please be 18 years of age or older, because they have gaming machines as well as booze ont he premises), tall or short, conservative or liberal, to visit this delightful dive bar at least once for a meal,and also for the ambiance!

2  Thank Vinny067
Reviewed September 8, 2013

On a recent trip to New Orleans I walked by Dejavu and looked at their menu. I was amazed at the selection and especially the prices! Tuesday and Thursday is steak night with fries and salad for $6.99. I had their pot roast which was wonderful, my partner had their chicken fried steak which was great, One drawback was the server, not the friendliest of people, but he did rectify a mistake and took 20% off the bill. I would definitely recommend this and I will be back next time in town!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

This place ought to be renamed Deja Vu Dive, because that's what it is. The waiter was hilarious in his deadpan responses to our questions. For example, I asked, "How's your gumbo?" and he responded flatly, "No." I roared with laughter. He pronounced the fried catfish tenders "okay," so I went with that. My spouse and one other of our six dining companions chose the only thing the waiter praised, which was the pot roast. Spouse thought it was "fine," I thought it was bland, and dining companion said she'd had much better, as she licked her plate. (Now, who the hell goes to the French Quarter for pot roast?!) My gin and tonic was practically bereft of gin. The fried catfish was all right. The accompanying salad of iceberg lettuce and three or four cherry tomatoes, topped with shredded cheddar cheese and paired with a packet of Kraft Italian dressing was warm. Now, I'm all about a wilted or warm salad on occasion, done the right way, but boys and girls, there is nothing appealing about warm iceberg lettuce. I will say the cocktail sauce is worth bottling and selling. It's better cocktail sauce than I've found at some of the more popular and more expensive restaurants in New Orleans. Yep, that's the ticket! Market and sell Deja Vu Dive cocktail sauce!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stopped in for breakfast after St. Louis 1#1 cemetary tour......Really good omelets! Very Good and a half