“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #39 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Vista, California
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the Grand Victorian, a beautifully restored mansion on St. Charles Avenue. Our room was lovely and the owner, Bonnie, very helpful. The B&B has a street car stop right in front. Nice to stay away from the French Quarter, but to only be a short ride away. Two blocks from Commander's Palace, the famous Gardens District homes, and a New Orleans style famous cemetery -- all easy walking. Also close to Magazine Street with lots of shopping and restaurants. This particular B&B had a nice patio upstairs. We used it alot in the mornings to have our coffee, and in the afternoons for our down time. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Want to be fair here and say that previous trips to New Orleans we have stayed at The Windsor Court Hotel. The location of this B&B is perfect. Right in the middle of the Garden District within walking distance of Magazine street and their wonderful restaurants and a trolley stop right outside the B&B. That being said the house is older with the shower less than ideal. Rooms could definitely use a good cleaning. The positives were a nice patio on the second floor to relax and have a glass of wine and Bonnie the owner was really nice and provided information on local happenings.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Simisully
GrandVictorianBandB, Owner at Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at the Grand Victorian. I am flattered that you compared/contrasted my property to a local, high quality, 5 star hotel with a fantastic reputation. I also appreciate that you recognize the difference in the two completely different types of properties: a 120 year old historic home/B&B vs the recent $22 million restored 5 star hotel.
I'm sorry that we didn't meet all of your expectations, but it seemed that your overall trip was a good one spent with friends. In the end, I believe that's what counts and hope that you agree.
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I cannot say enough good things about this B&B or Bonnie, the innkeeper! She is such a personable host and the rooms are unique and filled with antiques! We plan on staying here again next year for our 8th wedding anniversary! Oh, try to get the "Greenwood" room, it's the best and has a neat private balcony overlooking St. Charles St.! Thanks again for the great stay and hospitality Bonnie!
- Chuck & Tanya Doucet
Washington, LA

• Stayed September 2013
Chuck and Tanya, thanks for choosing the Grand Victorian again for your anniversary celebration. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year (or anytime you want to come back!)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife, son and I visited NO in August 2013 and stayed at the Grand Victorian. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. The room my wife and I shared had a massive tub and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was continental, which was fine for us. The staff did offer to make my son a sausage and egg sandwich (not requested, by the way!) that he declined.

Each morning the inn keeper or her staff gave us some info about the city - where to go, what to see (and avoid!) and so on. In terms of location, it could not be easier to get anywhere - lots of places within walking distance and the trolley stops literally in front of the inn. Other than getting caught in a downpour and dealing with absurd heat and humidity (our own fault for visiting NO in August!) it was a great stay at a comfortable and inviting B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We were in New Orleans to move our teenager into Tulane University. We stayed in the Evergreen room on the Washington Avenue side of the home which also provided great views of St. Charles Avenue. The home is beautiful,well air conditioned and our room was spacious and comfortable. The walls and doors are thick and solid and we did not hear any noise from other guests. Bonnie, Rachel, and their staff are welcoming, gracious and always there to answer any questions, provide suggestions or make your stay more comfortable. It had been a very long time since I had stayed in a bed and breakfast and had stayed in French Quarter hotels on all my other trips to NOLA but so happy I chose this location instead. It was quiet, there was always free parking on the street directly in front of the door, driving anywhere from here is hassle-free, and it is the perfect spot for visiting Tulane and the beautiful Garden District. The French Quarter is a short taxi or streetcar ride away. We already have plans for a second stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChicagoVagabonds
I appreciate your comments on the many aspects of your experience here at the Grand Victorian. While I'm biased, I feel that our location can't be beat for all of the reasons that you mentioned. Thanks again for choosing the Grand Victorian and for trying a B&B again! Hope to see you for your next trip to New Orleans!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to New Orleans to celebrate my birthday, and we decided to stay at the Grand Victorian. We wanted to stay out of the French quarter and be somewhere more relaxed, and the Grand Victorian was it. We stayed in the Greenwood room, which is very spacious and nicely appointed. The A/C in the room and in the rest of the house was very comfortable.

On my birthday the staff brought out a muffin with a candle in it and sang Happy Birthday to me. Bonnie and her staff are very friendly and helped us decide where to go to dinner on our first night there, and they also suggested some sites to see. Bonnie recommended the Superior Seafood Company, which is very easy to get to by the Street car, and the food, drinks and service were excellent. A must try for sure!!!!

We had a great time, and we will be back for sure to stay at the Grand Victorian and experience all that New Orleans has to offer.

Room Tip: The Greenwood room is very large, has a lot of light, a great bathroom, and the tub is huge.