“Charming, Comfortable, and Convenient”

The Burgundy Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Charming, Comfortable, and Convenient”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I spent a couple nights at The Burgundy Bed and Breakfast while attending a training conference in New Orleans in March. My room was very comfortable. The location is convenient but in a quiet neighborhood setting. Carl was a charming host who had answers to all my questions, some of them before I even asked. I'd definitely stay here again on future trips and have already recommended The Burgundy to friends. - Mark, from Houston, Texas.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 29, 2010

The Burgundy Bed and Breakfast is comfortable with a feel like home. I enjoyed my 4-night stay here. Carl is very good host. His teammate, Kem is also very nice and helpful. Since I was traveling alone, they gave me so many supports to make my trip easier. I especially enjoyed the breakfast time when I can have a casual chat with the host and the guests. Strawberries in New Orleans are big and delicious! Overall it is a wonderful place that I hope I can stay longer if possible. It makes my trip memorable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights at the Burgundy, and found it a wonderful place to stay in the Marigny, a fantastic neighborhood past Esplanade, beyond the French Quarter. Carl was welcoming and incredibly helpful, giving us great suggestions for places to eat and drink, a map with clear walking directions to nearby hot spots, and even the bus timetable for going farther afield.

The house is old, solid and has been beautifully restored, with a dining area, sitting area (complete with computer and printer, so you can check in and get your boarding passes ready when it’s time to leave), and even an auxiliary kitchen for guests. We stayed in the Front Room– nicely appointed with a very comfortable bed, private bath, self-control for the ceiling fan and air conditioner, as well as a television with basic cable and a dvd player. The whole of the interior is non-smoking, but there is a lovely backyard with a covered porch if you want to step outside for a cigarette (like myself).

The B&B itself, as well as the surrounding street were quiet and lovely, and we found our fellow B&B guests pleasant and friendly when we breakfasted in the dining room each morning on fresh fruit, cereal, juice, coffee and myriad baked goods. It’s just a great place to stay, especially if you’re interested in more than just the infamous chaos of Bourbon Street. It was a great jumping off point from which to explore the Marigny and Bywater, but still only a moderate walk to get to the Quarter. Highly recommended and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Burgundy Bed and Breakfast this week. Carl was a good host. The facility is in a nice neighborhood about 10 -15 minutes walk from the French Quarter and about 10 minutes from the Riverfront trolley. There are a few cute cafes and restaurants within several blocks. A taxi from downtown New Orleans is about $10 one way.
Breakfasts are continental but include hard-boiled eggs as well as breads, fruits and cereal. We were eating so well at lunch and dinner that a small breakfast was all that we needed. There is a hot tub in the backyard which we enjoyed. The beds were comfortable and the neighborhood reasonably quiet....except for an occasional train whistle in the distance.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
New Mexico
Reviewed January 22, 2010

After staying in so many impersonal hotels the Burgundy was like visiting relatives I actually liked. I was traveling from New Mexico to Florida and wished I could have stayed more than one night. Carl is very professional yet friendly in that southern way. Knows when to give you space or chat.Beautiful rooms, house and grounds. I appreciated the printer and computer being available. All the amenities are tasteful. The claw foot tub was a treat. The rooms that lead onto the patio is where I'd stay again for sure. Breakfast decent and the company wonderful. I was there during Hurricane Ida so there was much rain. I found it close to many places of interest.

I got the internet rate and it was worth every dollar. Carl knows a lot about the city and area and generously shares his insight. Thanks. I'll be back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
chicago
Reviewed January 17, 2010

great place for those looking for a relaxed & friendly "home away from home" while staying in NO. located in the beautiful gran marigny neighborhood just a mile or so from the french quarter. off the beaten path, you feel tucked away from all the typical NO tourist traps, yet it's easy enough to get to the main tourist areas & a great little power walk to the french quarter if you've got a hop in your step! you'll get more of a neighborly feel in the gran marigny area with lots of great restaurants & coffeeshops just around the corner. carl was a great host--friendly, easygoing & very knowledgeable about the city. ask for his recommendations! hope you like dogs! carl has a cute little chijuajua who guards the front door. highly recommended. the burgundy seems to be a magnet for other friendly travellers as well! p.s. try to get the red room as it has its own entryway for a lil extra privacy!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Carl and his team were very welcoming. Typical 'gun barrel' (is that right?) old French creole style house (two long narrow houses semidetached, though he has knocked them through into one. The room was comfortable and well decorated, and there's a back porch onto the backyard where we you can sit to enjoy the quiet, drink, smoke...
The area is about 10-15 minutes safe walk to the French Quarter, but is more residential and less touristy, and also only a short walk to the river. Some good bars and restaurants (gay and straight) nearby.
Can park safely on the street outside the house.
Breakfast was healthy and hearty.
No real complaints, except perhaps trying to find a food store.
Would go again.