“Pretty good meal until we were kicked out of our table.”
Review of Cochon Butcher

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Arts District / Warehouse District
Cross street: Andrew Higgins
Description: Established in 2009 in the New Orleans Warehouse District, Butcher is a butcher shop, a sandwich counter and a wine bar located next door to Cochon. Chefs Donald Link Stephen Stryjewski offer small plates, daily lunch specials and dinner entrees. Inspired by old-world meat markets, Butcher specializes in housemade meats, terrines and sausages. The fresh cuts are handpicked and the ready-to-cook items are available daily. Butcher offers an array of housemade pickles, jellies, jams and sauces, as well as a carefully curated collection of handmade knives, cutting boards and branded merchandise. Butcher’s charcuterie, sausage or cheese platters, and sandwich trays are available for catering needs. The Butcher does not accept reservations.
Reviewed March 4, 2009

The first problem I had with this restaurant is the menu descriptions. I eat out a lot, so I'm familiar with different things on different menus. This place though seems to have made up it's own language to use on the menu or uses french words to mean something that evidently makes sense to them. Anybody know what a Cochon would be as an entree? The wine list leans heavily toward the high end. The least expensive Pinot Noir they had was $48. We ordered the second least expensive to the tune of $56. We finished our meal, had already paid, and were in the process drinking the last bit of wine we had left when the manager came over and basically made it plain to us that we needed to give up the table. It wasn't like we had been there hours and hours. It had been 50 minutes since we sat down. There are better meals to be had in NOLA at places where you're not going to be made to feel like you're overstaying your welcome after 50 minutes.

4  Thank Napoleonva
Write a ReviewReviews (2,612)

Reviewed March 3, 2009

Yes, the food at Cochon is very good - though I must admit my second visit was not quite as inspiring as the first. Try the fried alligator appetizer if they have it when you are there, as well as the boudin balls. This is the kind of place I would go to regularly if I lived in New Orleans. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly. The staff are knowledgeable but not in-your-face. The wine selection is well balanced and the staff know what to recommend if you, like me, know what flavor profiles you like but don't have a memory for vineyards, years and vintages. I would certainly recommend it to anyone visiting New Orleans.

1  Thank Bacon_Addict
Reviewed March 2, 2009

After dining at Cochon, Hubby The Carnivore pronounced it possibly one of the best meals of his life.

We started with an assortment of appetizers for our group, including the fried alligator, boucherie plate, fried boudin, and spicy grilled pork ribs. All of these were fantastic, especially the boucherie plate and the boudin.

A couple of people in our party had the nightly special, which was a pan fried pork loin, with gravy, mushrooms and grits. Hubby had the Louisiana Cochon, and I won't be able to describe it well enough to do it justice. Another had the ham hock with sweet potatoes, pickled greens & black eyed pea ham broth, and she nearly licked the bowl clean.

Desserts were generally good, but the Pineapple Upside Down Cake was declared the best dessert of the entire trip.

Now to the down side...it's EXTREMELY noisy. It was packed the Friday night we went, and we had a tough time hearing each other at times. Go for the food, not the conversation!

Reviewed March 1, 2009

We were able to score a last minute res. on the Saturday before Mardi Gras at Cochon, and am I ever gratefull!!! First of all...the staff is SO friendly, they were warm and made us feel very welcomed. Started with the Splendor In The Grass cocktails...YUMMY!!!! They were light and fresh and delicious! Oyster Roast and Rabbit Livers for apps....Heaven on a plate! I could have ordered those all night long! Louisiana Cochon and Oven Roasted Gulf fish for entrees. both outstanding! Dessert was a shared Pineapple Upsidedown Cake (their modern spin on it) and it was awesome! Lovely meal in a fantastic town.

Reviewed February 28, 2009

Cochon was a little bit of a letdown. We'd heard lots of good things, and since we're big fans of all kinds of pork and of southern cooking we were excited to eat there.

I started with a bourbon flight, a tasty little sample of three different bourbons. My bride stuck with Abita beer.

The food was ok, but not nearly as good as we expected. The starter, an andouille sweet potato pie, was a bit bland. The blackeyed pea gumbo was good, but the note of black pepper overwhelmed the other flavors. The oyster and bacon sandwich was wonderful and delicious. Our desserts were best: pineapple upside down cake and a gateau de chocolate which were both truly inspired. The pastry chef deserves to be recognized, because the dessert really stood out above the rest of the meal.

The overall vibe of the place was not too friendly. We visited on Ash Wednesday, and maybe they were still recovering from Mardi Gras and just having an off night. I think we would have liked the food more if the service had been a bit warmer or more engaging. As it was, the service managed to be simultaneously indifferent and obtrusive, with multiple servers bumping and clattering things on the table as they served.

One final note that left a bad impression. When I used the men's restroom one of two toilets in there was overflowing, literally filled up to the rim, and it seemed like no one from the restaurant was paying any attention to it.

Given the variety of dining available when I'm in New Orleans, I probably won't bother returning to Cochon.