“You Know How There Are Restaurants You Can't Wait To Return To?”
Review of Cochon Butcher

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Arts District / Warehouse District
Cross street: Andrew Higgins
Description: Established in 2009 in the New Orleans Warehouse District, Butcher is a butcher shop, a sandwich counter and a wine bar located next door to Cochon. Chefs Donald Link Stephen Stryjewski offer small plates, daily lunch specials and dinner entrees. Inspired by old-world meat markets, Butcher specializes in housemade meats, terrines and sausages. The fresh cuts are handpicked and the ready-to-cook items are available daily. Butcher offers an array of housemade pickles, jellies, jams and sauces, as well as a carefully curated collection of handmade knives, cutting boards and branded merchandise. Butcher’s charcuterie, sausage or cheese platters, and sandwich trays are available for catering needs. The Butcher does not accept reservations.
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Well, for me Cochon is definitely not one of them!

Having visited New Orleans for about 3 decades, I've eaten at all types of restaurants and had some of the best food on God's Earth there. I was so looking forward to dinner at Cochon, however, it bordered on horrible.

First, the staff is aloof and they all think "their's doesn't stink". At least, that's the way they act. They should smile and be grateful they have jobs, but they don't see it that way.

Even a couple "manager-type men" sauntering around gave the guests the totally wrong impression of what a nice, high-quality restaurant should be. Oh, they thought they were doing something worthwhile and were important, and all one has to do is ask them --- they'll tell you how important and great they are. Got the picture?

Second, prices. Please let me say I don't mind paying high prices for a worthy meal or anything else. However, menu items are consistently 2 to 4 dollars (and more) over-priced. The biggest offender is the "boucherie plate", priced at $14.00. It is a venial sin to serve that pitiful portion at that price.

The "Louisiana cochon with turnips, cabbage & cracklins" does taste very good, but $22.00 is nowhere to be found on the plate.

Some other items do taste good, but they are not worth the price of the dishes or the experience.

The wine list is priced to intimidate guests. Enough said!

If you are like most people and only have a few days to enjoy the cuiusine of New Orleans, do yourself a BIG favor and skip Cochon.

2  Thank Castleblanca
Write a ReviewReviews (2,652)

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Cochon was the biggest disappointment of our trip to NOLA. Period. It is the only place we had made a rez for weeks before arriving in town...for my 40th birthday dinner no less. We had heard about the James Beard Award, the great use of local items, the excellent service...basically what was supposed to be one of the top new restaurants in the south. So in that respect, to be fair, it is true that our expectations had been built up...leaving us with the farthest to fall...and fall we did.

First off, the service was aggressively unfriendly. That's the only way I can put it. It wasn't outright rude, and everything was done functionally correct, but the unfriendliness was off putting. Our server never introduced herself, asked how we were doing...not a trace of a smile. She was functionally ok, and I don't look for a chatty waitress, but to be honest it just came off as dismissive and rude. I was there with my wife, and another couple. We eat a lot, order cocktails, a bottle of wine, and are a friendly, easy table that spends money. She was a mood killer, which ultimately just works against her. With great food, however, I would be willing to chalk this experience up to one bad waitress.

So when we discovered how really lousy the food was, it just turned into a complete bust. From presentation to taste, this food was just plain not that good. Our foursome all consists of foodies who want to eat a lot and try a variety of menu items. Consequently we almost always order family style when possible, and/or just order tons of food from all over the menu and just make it family style...so we covered quite a few of the items on this menu...and they were almost all terrible. The rabbit livers I had so looked forward to were just over battered, over deep fried chunks with just the tiniest little piece of liver somewhere inside. The grilled oysters were the only fishy tasting oysters we tasted anywhere in NOLA....five in a serving and not one of us wanted to eat the fifth. Oh, and the alligator...what a truly garbage dish. Again an overly battered, overly deep fried bunch of chunks absolutely drowning in a greasy one dimensional sauce. The boudin was maybe the best of the apps, but presentation was just some fried brown balls on a plate. The bottom line is that all this food was just heavy, salty and one dimensional. Even the signature dish, the cochon, was just some really average pulled pork that looked like it was formed out of an upside down cup in the middle of a plate...another brown dish. Taste was ok, but go to The Joint and eat some pork...and then laugh at Cochon...and laugh at yourself for having wasted money eating here. We also had lunch earlier that day at Coquette (see my review), and I wish I had gone back for dinner. Our group had a discussion and came to the honest conclusion that the absolute worst thing we had at Coquette (a discussion in and of itself that took ten minutes because it was all wonderful) was still far and away better then the best thing we had at Cochon...another discussion albeit shorter. For the record the cochon was probably the best thing we had at Cochon...which is sad, but at least it wasn't battered, fried, or oversauced.

We left without ordering dessert. This was on the actual day of my 40th birthday mind you, but we just had to get out of there to begin salvaging the night on Frenchman's Street...which we did. Not that we were even looking for it, but obviously any half decent waitress would have brought something with a candle in it, probably on the house...having figured it out earlier with any brief conversation or introduction...but since those things never happened, she never brought cake...and since we had no faith the dessert would be any better than anything else, we didn't bother.

I am still giving this place a two instead of a one because it seems to have potential. A lot of people give it great reviews. The space is comfortable and good looking. The type of food and the menu have potential and seem like they could be good...or maybe they were and have slid...I don't know, maybe we were there on an off night. Whatever the case may have been, I would never eat there again, and every other meal we had in NOLA was better.

4  Thank venice7771
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We were on our honeymoon and heard amazing things about this restaurant. Our expectations were quit high. When we booked our reservation went told them it was our honeymoon. The inside lacked any sense of personality. The ambiance was that of a school cafeteria. The service, though attentive, was rushed.
We felt we could not have a relaxing dinner as the noise level was extremely loud and the food was thrown at us. The restaurant failed to acknowledge our special occasion and when brought to their attention said it was an over sight and failed to do anything! Out of all the restaurant's in Nola this one failed to satisfy its reputation on all levels.

3  Thank staciekorn
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I had been dreaming of going hear ever since seeing the place on "No Reservations". We made reservations for our trip in July 2011.
We arrived and were seated, place was packed. A guy came and gave us water saying our server would be there shortly. 10 minutes later Angelene came and said "he took your drink order right?" to which we responded, "no". Not rudely, in fact we were already buzzed.

She then responds "oh you're going to dog on my boy" sort of trying to make like she was joking, but not really. From then on our treatment could be described as patronizing, Condescending and disingenuous. I'm not sure why, but this seems to be a theme in hip, new trendy restaurants. Almost like it's encouraged and accepted by the owner/management.
Either way, Angelene is terrible and ill suited to her work. The food, AMAZING! Oyster Sandwich with pork belly, still thinking about it. The signature dish Cochon is great too.
just a drag when your treated badly, sets a bummer tone for your whole meal.

1  Thank paperguy97
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Made reservations at Cochon on a Thursday evening and the only avaliable times were 630pm and 900pm, which shows just how busy this restaurant is. We arrived and were seated immediately. Waitress was friendly but our beer and wine took almost 10 minutes to arrive at our table. We started with the oyster meat pie which was tasty. For our mains, we had beef with horseraddish potatoes and rabbit entrees. Good portions, and tasty.

1  Thank wilsonmitch27