“A Spooktacular Stay!”

Ranked #34 of 139 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Annapolis, MD
“A Spooktacular Stay!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at the RBGH on Halloween weekend. I knoew we had made the right decision when the taxi pulled up and the house was decorated for Halloween. WE booked the suite which is very spacious and perfect for a family of 3. The location is perfect situated in between Bourbon and Royal st and just far enough from the fray to be a peaceful and relaxing location. Our hosts, Kelly and Sugah, were very hospitalbe and helpful in knowing where to go. We will be coming back on our next outing to the Big Easy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sreisinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Vankleek Hill Ontario
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed in the RBGH in early Oct. I went with my husband and it was our first trip to NOLA. I really wanted to stay in the French Quarter because we like to walk around a lot, but I was worried about the noise at night and craziness. The RBGH was the perfect spot! We much preferred hanging gout on Frenchman St at night and were just a few blocks away, and quick walk. French market is at the end of the street as well, and the street car stops right there. This made our trip out to the Garden District so easy. Kelly had great restaurant suggestions and she and Sugar B were the perfect hosts. We will certainly go back as we LOVED New Orleans and the gothic room was a quiet oasis for us.

Room Tip: We stayed int he Gothic room, which is in the back, it's not a huge room but suited our needs ni...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank magicbyc
Sunset, Louisiana
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I have stayed at the Barracks Guest House twice now and will continue to return time and time again. Kelly and Sugah B are the hostesses of the year! Just love the enchanting rooms and lovely courtyard. We have never been disappointed and you won't be either. If you're looking for a reasonably priced room in the heart of the Quarter, this is the place to go. Love, love love it! Thanks for the hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Royal Barracks Guest House for two nights.We were celebrating our anniversary. We were completely blown away with the beauty of the rooms and courtyard. Each room is beautifully decorated in its own theme. We were lucky to have gotten the suite. It was everything we could have hoped for. We were greeted by Kelly and her precious doggy Sugah B. Sugah gave us the grand tour. It is a very quite neighborhood and everything is conveniently located. Kelly was very helpful,kind and knowledgeable about the city. She reccomended the best restaurants and gave great directions. The rooms were very clean and you felt right at home. We enjoyed our mornings drinking coffee on the stoop and watching the residents go about their morning. We will without a doubt be coming back.The Royal Barracks Guest House is just amazing.

• Stayed October 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I arrived in the evening, 27 hours after leaving my home in Australia, and after the normal hours of operation for this guest house. Prior to leaving home I had advised that I would be a late arrival and had been given directions and codes to operate the security system to get into my room. The lack of lighting in the street made it a little difficult to get my bearings after the taxi left but it didn't take long to get to my very comfortable (Garden) room and get some much needed sleep. Next morning I made my way to the office to introduce myself and met the famous Kelly. She asked if I had specifically come for the weekend's events and when I clearly looked a little vague she explained that I had arrived when the Southern Decadence weekend was in full swing. She then explained what was happening and asked whether I was gay or straight in order that she could give me her best tourist advice. I have never been asked that question before when checking into accommodation but given the nature of the celebrations in the very near neighbourhood it was entirely appropriate.
While talking with Kelly (and sharing several glasses of wine) later in the day it was interesting to see previous guests who were visiting NO for the day just calling in to see how she was and then making bookings for future stays. A fair reflection of the quality of the lodgings and Kelly's popularity as a host.
My room was wonderful for my stay (as a single traveller) and given that it was so close to party central it was amazingly quiet. I slept very well for the 4 nights of my stay. It would probably be a little crowded for a couple if they had a lot of luggage but for short term visitors it should not prove an issue.
As stated by other reviewers this not a five star hotel. It is a comfortable, friendly, well located, quirky and fun guest house with tonnes of character. If I ever get to visit NOLA again I would certainly want to stay here again.

Room Tip: The Garden Room is at the rear of the premises and thus did not get any real street noise. I can'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GMA1950
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Kelly and Sugar B are amazing hosts! They made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived. Kelly gave me a tour of the rooms; they were all wonderful. The courtyard is extrememly nice! We felt right at home! The only bad part about the Royal Barracks Guest House is that we didn't want to leave! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The peacock room was wonderful. We couldn't believe how beautiful the room was. It was larger th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Kelly is absolutely amazing. She and her baby sugar (cutest poodle-ever) truly made our experience at NOLA. We had to fly in and out late, outside of normal times, and she made us feel at home no matter what. We had the bunk room and the garden room both connected for our girls weekend. This is was best idea, and this B&B goes above and beyond for their guests. We are planning our next trip and will come back and stay here again and again. Also, this is prime location because it is close to Burbon St. yet just a few blocks from the crazy-ness so it is peaceful at night.

BTW- a wonderful shout out to Mona Lisa Restaurant, just down the way. We are so glad that we found this place in the booklets that Kelly had in our room. LOVE IT!

Room Tip: Bunk & Garden Room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends