“I Love RBGH!!”

Royal Barracks Guest House
Ranked #36 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed here twice, once years ago in the Suite and more recently in the Peacock Room. I loved both. We had Angelis Pizza delivered and it was delicious! The bed in the Peacock Room was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. If you are looking for brand new and completely without quirks then this is not the place. If you don't mind the look and feel of an older home then you will love it. The only real problem we had at all was in the Peacock Room the shower was dripping cold water while we used it and seemed like it needed a little work. Other than that it was great. I will say I think it is haunted. The first time I stayed was probably in 2005 and I was woken up by something whispering loudly in my ear. Pssst! Over and over. There was no one there when I opened my eyes. The second time I stayed in January 2011 my fiance and I were standing in the bathroom and the television started changing channels by itself. It turned and turned and then finally stopped on a movie he had been watching the night before (his favorite movie). We didn't even know the movie was coming on again. We had been having trouble even getting the remote to work. It may have needed new batteries, so I don't know how it turned by itself. I walked into the room and the remote was right in the middle of the bed. Nothing laying on it or anything. Then later I was sitting in the courtyard and I kept hearing my fiance call my name. I walked into the room and he was in the shower and had not called me. Weird right? So that's my ghost story. The only other thing is you must not park outside the lines in front or blocking the neighbors driveway even a hair or the city will come and tow you. Found that out the hard way :( All in all I wish I could go more often and I can't wait to go again. It is a convenient walk to most places and very peaceful and comfortable. You will feel like you live there.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was a great quiet location but close to the action in the French Quarter. We rented the Gothic Room which was not large but clean and nicely decorated. Kelly was the best host we've had. She was very accommodating and friendly. Her southern hospitality made our stay so pleasant! We would absolutely recommend it to others. Linda and Dave H

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I love the location of this guest house. Quiet if you want to relax, but not far from Frenchman st., the Marigny, or Burbon st. Accommodations are very New Orleans. Beautiful courtyard, and Kelly is a wonderful hostess. I have stayed several times myself, and recommended it to others who have enjoyed it as much as I have. I would suggest this guest house to anyone who loves New Orleans.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RustyJMac
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We recently rented three rooms (The Suite, Peacock and Gothic) for a weekend trip to NO. It was exactly what we were looking for: Different, a little quirky, and totally New Orleans. The location, on the edge of the French Quarter and 2 blocks from Marigny, is perfect: Short walk to anywhere, but in a quiet residential area.

If you stay here, you have to have the right expectations. This is a guest house, not a hotel or B&B. We met the owner, Kelly, at the agreed upon time. We were let in, shown around, had a drink in the courtyard, and then pretty much left to ourselves. If you're looking for 5 star service, this is not the place; if you're looking for a vintage New Orleans experience in a one-of-a-kind place, this is it. The rooms are more-or-less adjoining, which was great for our adult family. The decor is a riot, and pictures don't do it justice. Everything was clean and well done.

We'll be back, the best recommendation I can give!

Room Tip: The Suite and Peacock have are adjoining rooms, great for family / friends traveling together. The...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Had a great stay in the Gothic Room. The location is ideal, just far enough from the din of Bourbon but a very short walk to join in with the festivities. Also nearby is Frenchman Street with great clubs. The best things about RBGH however is Kelly. Within minutes of meeting her she is a best friend. Highly recommended!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Everything about this place is wonderful. I accidentally booked the bunk room, and we had just been married, but Kelly was so lovely to put us in the Blue room for most of our stay. The bed was comfy, the rooms are all quaint and homely, the courtyard excellent for just relaxing and meeting the other guests. Kelly is the most generous and hospitable host ever - wine, cheese and a gorgeous little pooch trotting around made our stay very memorable. I hope we get back to Nola soon and visit Kelly again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Mattylala
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Kelly is so wonderful!!! She makes you feel like you have been there your whole life. The location is wonderful! It is not to close to all the noise and commotion of Bourbon Street but close enough to get there easily to have a great time. I can not wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family