“Excellent Stay at a quality B&B”

Old Historic Creole Inn
Ranked #29 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
new york
“Excellent Stay at a quality B&B”
Reviewed January 12, 2009

This was our second trip to NOLA but our first B&B experience ever, and I must say that we were enchanted with it. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable, but what really made it special was the innkeepers, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, who totally went out of their way to ensure we had a great experience. I can't thank them enough!

We stayed in the 2 bedroom "sweet dreams" suite which had access to the rear balcony overlooking the lovely courtyard, and also had the most comfortable bed I ever slept in. Every morning coffee, tea, bagels & pastries were provided in the lobby, as well as computer access 24/7. We also brought a little netbook computer and were able to hook into their wireless broadband from our suite. There are a few small improvements that could be made, such as hooks on the bathroom door, a bed frame without footposts to make the king size bedroom feel roomier; but overall, it was much better than expected!

The location was great too...far enough away from Bourbon Street to be quiet, but close enough to walk to without tiring out. It was also close to the French Market and the streetcar station that will bring you to Canal Street or the Garden District for very little money.

One very important point to consider is that there were absolutely no mildew odors at the Creole Inn...a problem that plagues New Orleans since Katrina. In 2007 we stayed at the Hilton, which reeked of mildew then, and still does now!

The only drawback of a B&B vs. a hotel is that the walls are thin, so you have to be considerate of your neighbors by keeping volume levels down. If that is not a problem for you then I highly recommend that you give the Creole Inn a try on your next trip to NOLA!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed December 1, 2008

The Creole Inn is a cute and cozy B&B in one of my favorite parts of New Orleans, the Faubourg Marigny (just east of the French Quarter). We like the Marigny because it's close to all the attractions, yet quiet and more residential than the Quarter. Our favorite haunts are around Frenchmen Street, and we could get there in under 10 minutes walking. Parking is also quite easy in this part of town, which is a huge benefit!

The innkeepers, Glenn and Diana, were fantastic! They were friendly, hospitable, and fun to spend time with. Our second night there, they invited us to the back patio for some snacks and sangria. They were the perfect balance of being friendly without seeming pushy or nosy. I actually wish we'd had more time to hang out with them. Breakfast was set out every morning, and it was always a little different: bagels one day, pastries the next. They also had free Wi-Fi, cable TV, and super comfortable beds! There was always an electric kettle to make hot tea any time of day, which was nice during the cooler, rainy days.

The rooms were small, but for two people, it's definitely enough space. Everything is very clean and comfortable, and it's definitely one of the best bargains we've had in the city. We will most certainly stay here again, and we would recommend them to anyone!

• Liked — It was incredibly comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed October 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a week and didn't want to leave! We've been to nola several times and have always stayed in one of the big hotels. I wanted, however, to try something more authentic to New Orleans and convinced my husband to give it a try. Glenn and Diana Smith, the new innkeepers, were terrific and the inn is better than we anticipated. The beds in our suite were so comfortable we didn't want to get up. The free use of the computer was particularly helpful to us. We had everything we needed. There was fresh fruit and other goodies daily, a refridgerator outside our door for our use, and a lovely patio area in the back.
The location is safe, the neighborhood charming and we never had a problem finding a parking spot on the street.
Diana works tirelessly keeping it clean and comfortable. When I mentioned to Diana that it was my husband's birthday, when we got back from dinner a b'day card was waiting for him! And be sure to follow her restaurant recomendations!
The next time we visit our daughter at Tulane, which can't be soon enough!) we will definately stay at the Creole Inn!

• Liked — Beds and amenities
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Haines City, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2008

This inn is actually a private home built in the 1850's and lovingly maintained for over 150 years. The new owner is remodeling, but you'd never know it (no hammers, paint smell, etc). He's brought in new and antique furniture. For example, I slept in an old 4-poster bed with memory foam mattress. A wonderful combination.
As I was travelling with my daughter,we stayed in a two-bedroom suite called the "Brass Suite". Her bed was an old brass and ceramic unit, again with new bedding. She said it slept great. The rooms are rather small, but you're not living there, just sleeping. There is a balcony in this suite which overlooks the courtyard, described below.
Your hosts are friendly, intelligent, and really make you feel more like you're staying at a friend's house than some stuffy B&B. They have a rear courtyard filled with lush tropical plants and well shaded by a huge live oak tree. The tree and house mutually protected each other during Katrina, so we were told.
Breakfast is a continental, self-service array of fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, and the best tasting coffee you've had in years! (They called it French Sumatra Blend)
If you'd rather be one of the family than some outsider paying to stay in someone's house, the Creole Inn is for you. Nice folks, expert local advice, and a great night's sleep. Well worth the stay.

• Liked — Staff friendliness, relaxed courtyard atmosphere
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 21, 2006

We spent only two days at the Creole Inn B&B, but it was the most relaxing & friendly environment that I've been around in a long time. I am going to name names because it is well deserved! The following names are the only ones I know by name, but I am sure theres more! Uly who took the reservation was incredibly sweet and accommidating. See I am disabled and he did everything he could to accomidate me. He was wonderful. Laverne who was very friendly and accomidating as well. She was always happy, and pleasing to be around.
John who knows everything about the city helped us a geat deal in planning our events for the day ( with a smile I might add) We asked him so many questions, and he helped us out alot. Then theres Maddie who I didn't get to know that well, but who was always friendly. I met the owner for a brief minute, but I could tell she was just as friendly as everyone else there.
I was allowed to bring my pets with me. Which made it so nice and they welcomed them with a smile and friendly attitude. It just seems like a really close family there. I would definatly reccomend it to anyone looking for a place in New Orleans. It was only minutes from the French Quarter too.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member