“"Real" New Orleans experience”

Old Historic Creole Inn
Ranked #33 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at the Creole Inn for four nights. It was great! It is quite rustic, but it kind of felt like I was staying with my grandma, which is a good thing! It was about a 30 minute walk to the French Quarter (right in the middle). Between the Inn and the FQ is Frenchmen St., which houses such jazz clubs as the Spotted Cat and Snug Harbor. The rooms are equipped with cable and a small fridge. We also could access WiFi.

The innkeepers, Kim and Charlie, were great. Kim provided us great suggestions for breakfast and other spots to eat.

If you want a cookie cutter trip, stay at a "regular" hotel. If you want a memorable New Orleans experience, stay at the Creole Inn!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kirsten33

Reviewed March 7, 2013

good location, just far enough away from the quarter that we could get away, but close enough we didn't need a taxi.
rooms were tidy. Charlie and Kim,the innkeepers, rocked.
safe safe safe
has a private courtyard in back that is sweet.
I enjoyed the rooms not being cookie cutter rooms, they remind me of someones spare bedroom, in a charming way.
Thanks Charlie and Kim!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I first visited the Old Historic Creole Inn last fall and had a such a great experience I immediately went home and booked another trip there. I am in love with the city of New Orleans and go there quite a bit, this is my go to place in the city.

This time I took my entire family: my parents who are in their 60's, my brother, his wife and their 3 kids under 6, my sister and her new husband, my bachelor cousin, and my boyfriend. A large and diverse group, very hard to please and I must say Kim and Charlie pulled it off amazingly, making everyone feel welcome, comfortable and able to have a great time.

I will get into the Inn itself and the location, but first I must sing the praises of the Inn Keepers, Kim and Charlie. These folks go above and beyond in everyway to accomodate their guests. They are friendly, easy going, great confirsationalist, helpful, and well, super cool folks. Be it grabbing orange juice for a couple of overly excited little boys in the morning, to making sure there was always coffee for a couple of weary eyed adults, they always come through. We ran into weather problems and had to come down a day early to avoid a storm. I called Kim to see if by chance she had any extra rooms, she did not, but within 10 minutes she called me back and had secured us a place right down the street for a very reasonal price. Also because of the change in plans, we did not have the rental car we expected. Kim offered to drive us to our destination! New Orleans in normally a pretty warm place and one of my favorite things about the Inn is sitting out in the beautiful courtyard. Knowing it was going to be a unusually cold week, Charlie went and bought a fire pit and wood so we could keep warm! These are olnly a few examples of the hospitality you can expect from Kim and Charlie who I now consider close personal friends.

The Inn: It is exactly as described on the website. You will not mistake it for a 5 star hotel but it is always clean, comfortable, and kept up. It is an old house, but it has it's charms and you simply cannot beat it for the money. The two room sweets are great to share as there is a bathroom in the middle separtating the two rooms to give each it's own privacy. A common shared bathroom in the lobby makes sharing even more convienient. The courtyard outside is beautiful with a table and chairs and is a great place to hang out morning, noon or night. Charlie recently installed a fountain, which is another great touch.

The location: in my opinion, the best in town. If you really want to keep paying ridiculous prices for drinks at bad bars with bad bands or strip clubs, it is still an easy walk to Bourbon. However, if you really want to know what New Orleans is about, this is the place to stay. Less than a half a mile from Frenchman street where the real music scene is, you are minutes from an entire strip of GREAT music clubs, restaurants, shops and street performers. (Highlights would be Three Muses and the Spotted Cat.) The inn is also located in the heart of the Marigny neighborhood and within two blocks of the Inn are several bars that serve great food (Mimi's is killer) or an awesome stiff drink (Big Daddy's happy hour Bloody Mary's) or if you need basic suplies, laundry or more good food it is still with in two blocks! (Schiro's). The neighborhood is safe and friendly and if I lived in New Orleans, no doubt where I would want to be.

Overall after a return visit to the Historic Creole Inn I can honestly say I will come back again and again and again. I cannot wait to get back and see Kim and Charlie

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great cozy place! I recently stayed here with my family and we all loved it! Kim and Charlie are sooo very nice and hospitable! They were informative and truly went out of their way to make our stay wonderful! The rooms are comfy and clean! The location is close to Frenchmen street which is full of great restaurants, bars, and live music. Hard place to beat for the money!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2013

What a great find! The price was an initial attraction for the overnight, but we did not expect such a great, clean, homey place, and with Kim and Charlie so helpful for any need you could imagine! These folks have heart and knowledge. Frenchman St with music and food is really "happening" and very nearby...such a better spot than Bourbon St, but that is nearby too. This is not a B&B, just the bed, but you don't want the breakfast part of a B&B in New Orleans...b/c the food for breakfast you can get in NOLA is SO good and not expensive. Two great spots are mere steps away! Do the Cruiser Bike tour if you get the time...too fun. I wasn't sure when I made the reservation but so glad we stayed there. Wished it had been longer than 2 days!

Room Tip: We stayed in Memories and it was sweet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My group of 6 had a great time at this Inn. 2 couple used the Cowboy room and two singles used another bedroom. The furnishings are slightly old but still clean.
The distance is a touch far from the French Quarter and other areas of NO but we just took a cab back at the end of the night when we were tired of walking.
I would definitely stay there again but pan better again by carrying a small backpack with a jacket or to hold souvenirs.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

part of me wants to say terrible things about this place so we can keep it a secret and allow us to keep on booking the inn year after year, but kim and charlie are by far two of the best people we've met in a long time and of course i couldn't actually do that after all the hard work they've done to make the place such a warm and welcoming experience.

they've done a fantastic job of turning this place into a home away from home. the rooms are still a bit worn and torn, but that's on the owner and not them. they do a great job at keeping it very clean and we had such a great time we're planning a trip back there for an even longer stay next year.

we stayed in the plantation room which met our needs perfectly. the vanity in the bathroom was gorgeous and the shower was more than enough room to be comfortable for even someone of my boyfriend's stature (5'10 and thin), but i could see how it could cause problems for someone 6 feet or over since even i, at 5'7 had to duck my head to wash my hair under the shower head. didn't bother us, but it might be an issue for some so i thought i'd give it a mention.

the bed was comfortable and smelled like the sheets had just been washed and out of the dryer. the floors were nice and clean too and a really pretty old hard wood.

i'm also really not a person with a lot of tact and i read reviews on trip advisor before i book, so i did awkwardly ask about the cockroach someone mentioned seeing in the room before we went upstair.

kim explained to me that occasionally when it rains for long periods of time one will make it's way up the drain pipes and find it's way into the bathroom but we stayed there for almost a week when it rained twice. JESS APPROVED. NO COCKROACHES DURING OUR WEEKLONG STAY.:)

although... if you hate canadians, you probably won't like this place. at one point there was practically one from every province! we had infested the inn! hehe

the area was incredible. location, location location! kim made some great suggestions for restaurants and bars in the area. it's the perfect place if you want to be near the bywater and french quarter. we walked to both which were about 10-15 minutes away. frenchmen street is even closer and throughout the trip we both kept on remarking on how great it was to stay so close to everything. we also kept on calling it home when we'd walk back to the inn.

i've always liked the places we've stayed in but we've never been comfortable enough in a location to refer to it as such....and repeatedly at that:)

i will say that this place is not for everyone, i'm a talker and although my boyfriend is a little more shy, he's also social. one of my favorite parts of this place was my morning talks with kim over the free coffee when i'd come down in the morning for a cigarette:) we talked (ok i talked) to just about everyone at the inn who stayed there at least once or twice and it was so great sharing our experiences of the city.

it's also possibly haunted, but i won't get into that... it'll give you a reason to talk to the lovely lady who will show you to your room and start up a conversation.

the pictures of our room on the website were relatively accurate but it's starting to show a little wear and tear of an old building... we would love to see a little money put into the place by the owners without too much of a rate hike so we can still afford to stay here...

let me tell you, 59$ a night is a steal...and probably one of the best spots to stay if you want to live like a local. we even got to watch walking dead while eating yummy dumplings at lost love lounge sunday night where it's a weekly event.littlerally a hop skip and a jump away... and really... it's an event. i have never enjoyed walking dead as much as i did at that bar, and i'm an absolute nut over the show.

so in conclusion: very clean rooms, fantastic inn keepers, an amazing location, i'd go as far as call this place a hidden gem...and yes...possibly a ghost in the cowboy room. they don't bill as a haunted inn, but i think they should:) wait til kim tells you some of the stories! we got a first hand account from one of the couples staying in the room who had their own little run in. bonus!!

one thing i want to make clear: READ THE WEBSITE THOROUGHLY BEFORE BOOKING. THE WELCOME PAGE IS THERE FOR A REASON. it's not for everyone, but it's definitely our home away from home when we come to new orleans. see you guys next year! until then, we'll be in touch!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple