“Wonderful guest house, fabulous location!”

Old Historic Creole Inn
Ranked #30 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here with friends for one week in November, and we will definitely return. Everything was exactly as advertised and the service was great. I absolutely loved the neighborhood, there were so many great cafes, restaurants, bars, etc. within a 5-10 minute walk from the Inn and it was so much less touristy than the French Quarter, which was a huge plus for us. We felt very secure the entire time and had no problems walking back from the Quarter late at night. Thanks Gayl!

Room Tip: There were four of us so we chose the Sweet Dreams 2 Bedroom Suite. The beds were incredibly comfort...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank SarahNaphtali

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Our family visited New Orleans for Thanksgiving week, and I am so happy to have found the Creole Inn! The location was perfect. It was great to stay "in the neighborhood"... like we had moved to NOLA for the week. The accommodations were very comfy and the management very friendly and accommodating. I plan to go back in the spring with my older sons... I hesitate to post this review before I have my reservation booked!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Rivernester
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My daughter & I stayed there and were happy with the location, the price & the service.
I will definitly return.
Thanks Gayl.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank patricia m
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Creole Inn prior to boarding a cruise ship leaving from the port of New Orleans. The inn was exactly as described on their website: a clean, no frills inn in one of New Orleans historic districts. We had one of the rooms on the second floor and found it to be clean and comfortable. Gayl, the manager, was both a pleasure to talk to and a wealth of information about New Orleans. She steered us right with dinner and breakfast recommendations that were both close by and representative of the "Big Easy" without being tourist traps. From our base on Dauphine Street we were able to walk to the French Quarter for the Bourbon Street "experience" and the other sights.

Contrary to other reviews, there was soap (liquid variety) in the bathroom, both at the vanity and in the shower. Personally, I think the free shampoo is a relatively recent addition in hotels but it comes at a price. The Creole Inn is probably a third of what you would spend anywhere else in New Orleans. I'd rather take those savings and find my own eateries!

If you are looking for clean, comfortable basic accommodations that are close to the French Quarter but out just enough to be free of the negative aspects of the French Quarter (noise, commotion, etc) this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EBDiver
Reviewed November 16, 2011

You can't beat this place's location, or the price for the location. It really is super convenient to the French Quarter, and there's a great breakfast place around the corner where we ended up spending more of our time. The back patio is great, and it's really convenient that they have glasses available. Linens and towels were clean and mold-free, and the room I was in even had an air purifier. There are two small things that made bummed me out about this place: no shampoo/conditioner/toiletries, and I was FREEZING at night. We had to go out and buy our own shampoo, and I wore my sweatshirt to bed every night. So, if you're bringing your own stuff and going in the summer, than I'm sure you won't even notice. If you're traveling during the winter, you may want to bring your own blankets.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Eliza F
CreoleInn, Manager at Old Historic Creole Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2011

We really want to thank you ladies for visiting us! We wish we had known you needed some individual shampoos and soap as we have those available for our guests who do not bring their own. We would have been delighted to offer those at no cost :)

Unfortunately the AC unit has a control for upstairs and one for downstairs since its a house wth all private rooms. We have plenty of nice plush blankets and covers for all guests. We keep the temperature low so guests wont get hot.

We also have a NASA air purifier that sterilizes the air in the entire building along with individual air purifiers in each room. The entire city has a heavy mold rating so we dont want our guests to experience that. Many hotels and private places dont have air purifiers but we are happy to have them in our place to keep the air nice and clean.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

rather further from most things than they suggest on their website...the first night we were given a downstairs suite that had a door opening into the world outside. this was quite ok. but then we were moved upstairs and the stay became horrible. there was no air other than the freezing aircon system, the door the could have opened to the balcony was alarmed, but then said balcony was full of the airconditioning system - which groaned and howled and motored on relentlessly all night. the bathroom window had been repaired with gaffer tape and the room was generally grubby.

the proprietor, after inviting us on the first evening to "turn the coffee machine on if you're first up in the morning" lectured us for taking a cup in the evening "that's not how we do things around here"

oh, and the bathroom door locks itself mysteriously from the inside in the middle of the night. strange place.

Room Tip: if you're desperate to stay here, ask for the 'old Europe' suite. but don't let them...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank whirledwanderer

We do apologize about the coffee. Guests can have coffee anytime they like it and that issue has been resolved and was unacceptable and we are not happy that it happened and it will never happen again.

We fail to agree with the rest of your review and would have refunded your money and booked you a room at a local 4 star hotel had we known the high level of needs that you require and is posted on our website on the front page for guests who are like this to book somewhere else. We suggest next time to read and research before you book another local establishment. Most people pay low rates like you and we are quite honest that our place is down home, clean, private, and local. We want educated and down to earth people booking with us.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

So I booked this place because (1) it was affordable for a group of 4 and (2) it looked quaint and got good reviews. I wanted to really get a feel for New Orleans, and wanted to see what the houses looked like inside. Surprisingly modern! The location for this place could not have been better. About a 5 minute walk to Frenchmen street, and 10 to Bourbon. But far enough to avoid all the noise and drunks.
We booked the Sweet dreams suite, had a room with a King and a Queen in the second. They were small but comfortable. And considering the place is 165 years old, its in pretty good shape. Our room also had a fridge, and both bedrooms had a television with VCR. the innkeeper keeps a collection of VHS tapes downstairs, of which I managed to sneak in my umpteeth viewing of Jurassic Park.
The morning brought coffee and tea downstairs. There is silverware and plates and stuff if you need it we warmed up some leftovers and used the microwave. Getting to the backyard was a trip! There are these weird side stairs and leads to the back patio furniture, and you really feel like you're just hanging out at someone's house. My friends and I enjoyed it very much.
Its right around the corner from Mimi's and a bunch of other bars, and a cafe called Cakes with the best breakfast ever.
Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank MCOOL2010

We really appreciate your honest review and for you staying with us! We really wish that everyone conducted research before staying with us just to get cheaper rates. Staying here is not about experiencing the modern world nor a fancy Bed and Breakfast. We are neither one of those and anyone wanting that level of comfort would have to pay double or triple the rates that we charge. We always tell people we love our guests and want people to stay that want a real old world experience and not stay here just because we are cheaper than most places. When people do that they have a bad experience and we get caught into their high class expectations and we will never be a place like that. If you want a real new orleans adventure stay with us and if you want a "normal" experience then please stay at those places. Thank you so much for being honest!