“Great Price, Short Walk to French Quarter”

Old Historic Creole Inn
Ranked #28 of 138 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Price, Short Walk to French Quarter”
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Convenient location a short walk to Frenchman Street (Jazz Clubs) 15 minute walk to French Quarter. Our host Gail, friendly and helpful. Plenty of coffee shops nearby for breakfast.
On street parking, no problem parking. Really great price. Clean room, comfortable beds.
Refrigerator in room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MassarelloFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Atlanta
Reviewed April 7, 2011

OHCI (Old Historic Creole Inn) was a great find in a wonderful city. Gayl is the heart of the place and a wonderful innkeeper. She was helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about the area. If you are looking for a great price for a wonderful place read no further. This place is that. Clean, comfortable, and worth every penny. We came with a group of 24 other friends. Luckily for us the inn they chose was booked. It was my sister and I and as much as I love her I cannot sleep in the same bed with her. In the Sweet Dreams room we each had our own space...GLORIOUS! My bed was great, front room with the king. My sister said she thought the wrong sheets had been used for her bed and they wouldn't stay on but a minor issue. She was so tired it didn't really bother her. The place our friends stayed was twice the price for a tiny bit larger room. Seriously, we paid $160 I think for two nights, their place (the Bananna Courtyard ~) was $150 a night :) :) :) :)

To be a real critique of the place I must include the good with the bad right? I gave it 4 stars because I only read the 4 and 3 reviews myself.

1. This place was perfect for us. We are not picky and every inch was very clean, mold free and pleasent.
2. Gayl was great. Very helpful and she is on duty 12 hours a day
3. Two bedrooms was really the best part of the place but you already know that.
4. the price was the second best part

~ In the middle was the location. Again you would pay a lot more for a closer and smaller location so I won't complain but it was a LONG walk to the Quarter. Luckily our friends picked Feeling restaurant on their own and we just skipped over there. Great food and the staff was wonderful for a drunk loud crowd of 22 rowdies.

One thing I thought would be a pain but really wasn't was the noise. The top of the door has a vent to the hallway and being an older home there is also an inch or so from the floor to the door at the bottom. I was expecting little sleep due to the noise from the hallway because I am the world's lighest sleeper but I was shocked I only heard folks coming in one night and a little rattle of coffee cups one morning.

I would appreciate some better curtains on the windows and my sister and I both mentioned that to each other. Our room faced the sun so by 5am the sun was bright and right in your eyes. There are some shades but not really enough.

Things I wish could change but most likely are not possible.
1. Shower pressure was next to nothing if someone else was using it at the same time..hey, it is an older building but with 8-10 other folks in the building chances are you are going to be using it the same time as another. We might have never known because the first shower was fine but #2 and #3 took forever because it was a small trickle of water. Half of me wants to delete this comment because it is such a small thing but I need to make an honest review and this did bug me.

2. WOW! That is really all I can think of.

Room Tip: Sweet Dreams was the best room!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sil22sal
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed March 3, 2011

There was 8 people in our group and we had 2 of the 2 bedroom units and 1 onf the single bedroom units. The Creole Inn is very clean and comfortable. Everyone loved the little cafes and bars close by. And Gayle was wonderful -- she truely is a great asset to the Creole Inn -- she was so helpful and had WONDERFUL suggestions for things to see and do. The Creole Inn is a "no-frills" place but you certainly feel like you are home -- something rarely found in conventional hotels.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank blgard77
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 28, 2011

My daughter and I were looking for a good quality, clean, inexpensive hotel in New Orleans and the Creole Inn fit the bill. The rooms were not fancy but they were clean and we had our own bathroom. It is not a bed and breakfast - only coffee and tea are provided in the mornings. We walked to the French Quarter every day - about a mile each way. Frenchman Street (where the music clubs are) is only a short 5-6 block walk. We were close enough to all the activities but far enough away to enjoy the quiet when we wanted it.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Sandim1
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We arrived at 2am in thick fog, we were greated promptly and even given a mini tour of the inn. The Sweet Dreams room was clean, comfortable and quaint. Our room had 2 separate rooms both with their own tv and ambience, the mini fridge was great for storing leftovers which you're sure to have while in New Orleans. The Marigny is a great little neighborhood with wonderful neighborhood eateries. The Creole Inn is a bit of a walk to Bourbon St. but once you figure out the best route, it really isn't to bad besides you can enjoy so much more of New Orleans along the way. Gayle and her staff were courteous, warm and friendly and I would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JELVES7
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Our room was small, clean, and comfy, a perfect home base to explore the city from with my teenage son. The Marigny is a wonderful neighborhood, and it gets you out of the madness of the French Quarter. The streets are quiet and charming. It's an easy walk to Frenchman Street and great jazz, and it only takes about 10 minutes to be right in the Quarter or the Tremé, an amazing neighborhood that we had pretty much to ourselves. Gayl, our host, was terrific. Super comfortable bed, and my son said his rollaway was fine as well. No breakfast - at these prices, you can't really expect it - but there's a wonderful café, Who D'at, just a couple of blocks away on Burgundy.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank countessnan
Panama City, Fl
Reviewed February 13, 2011

My sister and I stayed for two nights midweek in the "Memories" room. I chose this inn based on reviews and the fact that it was two blocks from my daughters home. The accommodations were excellent as other reviews stated. The room was as cute as pictured on the website. It was cold outside but very warm and cozy inside. The furnishings were very appropriate to the old world charm. The bed was wonderfully comfortable and the sheets so smooth. The shower is a little small for a large person but fine for the average individual. The common room downstairs was well appointed and coffee and tea were available plus a microwave, in room frig, and wifi connection. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family