“How all watering holes should be!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #93 of 235 Nightlife in New Orleans
Miami
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“How all watering holes should be!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

Atleast that's how it seemed to me. So, I didn't go to New Orleans expecting to find a bar filled with cajuns, jamming to CCR; but that's exactly what I found here.

So I get into my hotel on a Sunday, and seeing as how the conference is happening M-Th, and I'm leaving early on Friday; I decided to take full advantage of the open day. I take a little self walking tour starting from my hotel, right off Canal, and up Decatur. How lucky can I be?? I find myself not only an Oyster fest, but this little gem of a hole-in-the-wall.

I passed by it rather quickly and heard some raucous-style behavior emanating from inside the filthy, plastered walls. This building is OLD, as it is right down the street from Jackson Square. At first, I was apprehensive, as the entry-way consisted of those plastic slabs that you see in walk-in freezers. The inside was expectedly dim, even though it was 3 in the afternoon. I made a beeline for the bar and placed my beer order.

What I encountered next completely brought a smile to my face and reminded me again of why the general is that: "the people of New Orleans are the greatest". Apparently, there was a wedding reception going on (believe it or not) of some "Cajuns". I didn't get a look at the bride, but the groom was decked out in bandana-headband, boots, and a utility belt. I could barely understand him when he GRACIOUSLY offered me to go back in "the courtyard" and have some gumbo.....which was really good.....but FIRE-STYLE spicy as I profusely sweated.

Anyway, I stayed for a few beers, but didn't go near he jukebox after I realized that it was playing NON STOP CCR. Which was OK by me. I literally felt every word that John Fogerty was singing about. Thank you so much NOLA, for a wonderful experienceand a heck of a week...amidst a MAJOR catastrophe.

2 Thank xandergomez

NOVA/EPWV
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“If gutterpunks had created "Cheers"...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

If gutterpunks had created the television show Cheers, the backdrop, the setting would have been the Abbey in New Orleans, Louisiana. The lights were always dim. The juke box was always loud, and crammed with the best selection of tunes outside my own collection- AC/DC, Muddy Waters, The Pogues, old Metallica, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Johnny Cash, Black Flag, Violent Femmes, John Lee Hooker, The Stones, Buddy Guy-the list goes on and on. The bathroom floors were covered with pallets, to keep your Doc Martens or combat boots out of the muck, the solitary booth in the place was permanent home to the owner’s dog. The first time I ever darkened the Abbey’s door (and the Abbey in turn darkened my liver) was in the summer of ’97. There was a British woman behind the bar- a classic cockney accent and attitude- she bought us a round since we had just gotten married. We bought her a shot of her favorite in return- Wild Turkey. Eight hours later we staggered out the door and my now-ex found a nearby concrete planter to “sober up” into, if you take my meaning. We had spent $30 dollars, polished off a liter of Jack Daniel’s and a couple of pitchers of beer, made friends, burned brain cells, compared scars and/or tats, and passed “fish” stories back and forth while the tourists passed by for hours turning up their noses at the polarizing sign the Abbey staff had adorned the front of the bar with and never realizing that the Funky Pirate cannot ever hold a candle to the Abbey. At midnight the strippers poured in. I guess a shift was over somewhere big- Maiden Voyage or Rick’s Cabaret- and they had a blast, and made it a blast too. I probably saw more T n’ A there than I ever would have at the “gentlemen’s” club. When we moved to NOLA, we continued to stumble in and out of the Abbey. Our Rottweiler and Cattle Dog were always welcome inside since the only food the Abbey kept was the pickled stuff (olives, onions, green beans), and some fresh celery, limes, and lemons used as drink accoutrements-which the bartender would give you to snack on, if you wished. But when enough people were hungry, we lushes at the bar and the bartender would all ante up and order pizza. When the world ends, a part of me wants to be in the Abbey, listening to a Pogues tune (or O, Fortuna), having a final cigarette (I’ve quit for now) and a last shot of Jack (also more or less abstain these days) where I would extend a one-finger salute, along with the rest of the sots and lushes that know what I’m talking about that have the same desire, toward whatever higher power dared to ruin such a good time.

7 Thank Eddie-The-Ed