“Hidden dive”

Ranked #97 of 236 Nightlife in New Orleans
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden dive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Without a doubt a locals only bar. Cheapest drinks in the French Quarter by far. On Saturday afternoon the bar will grill food for it's patrons out in the courtyard. Great local stories from tbe patrons as well. You won't find Hurricanes here. Open 24/7 as well

1 Thank Geoff_1234567

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AWESOME!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

What a place, what geat folks. Do not expect a five-star hotel experience--too stuffy and not really fun! The Abbey and its owners will welcome you, enjoy your presence and you will truly experience a fun, down to earth good time New Orleans style!

Visited May 2011
1 Thank Don-Chick
Biloxi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good place to party on a budget !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

I slept in Jackson Square the night before, I woke up broke on the street, I went in the Abbey and panhandled all day. The owner was very understanding and gave away a lot of free food and drinks. Good fun spot whether you have money or not. ! A++++

3 Thank mardigraswizard13
Denham Springs, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Did I have fun last night?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

I go to The Abbey every time I visit New Orleans. I have been there many times. I don't remember any of it, but from the stories I hear I had a great time. Mostly. I will certainly go back.

3 Thank AnimalAzar
Miami
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“How all watering holes should be!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

Atleast that's how it seemed to me. So, I didn't go to New Orleans expecting to find a bar filled with cajuns, jamming to CCR; but that's exactly what I found here.

So I get into my hotel on a Sunday, and seeing as how the conference is happening M-Th, and I'm leaving early on Friday; I decided to take full advantage of the open day. I take a little self walking tour starting from my hotel, right off Canal, and up Decatur. How lucky can I be?? I find myself not only an Oyster fest, but this little gem of a hole-in-the-wall.

I passed by it rather quickly and heard some raucous-style behavior emanating from inside the filthy, plastered walls. This building is OLD, as it is right down the street from Jackson Square. At first, I was apprehensive, as the entry-way consisted of those plastic slabs that you see in walk-in freezers. The inside was expectedly dim, even though it was 3 in the afternoon. I made a beeline for the bar and placed my beer order.

What I encountered next completely brought a smile to my face and reminded me again of why the general is that: "the people of New Orleans are the greatest". Apparently, there was a wedding reception going on (believe it or not) of some "Cajuns". I didn't get a look at the bride, but the groom was decked out in bandana-headband, boots, and a utility belt. I could barely understand him when he GRACIOUSLY offered me to go back in "the courtyard" and have some gumbo.....which was really good.....but FIRE-STYLE spicy as I profusely sweated.

Anyway, I stayed for a few beers, but didn't go near he jukebox after I realized that it was playing NON STOP CCR. Which was OK by me. I literally felt every word that John Fogerty was singing about. Thank you so much NOLA, for a wonderful experienceand a heck of a week...amidst a MAJOR catastrophe.

2 Thank xandergomez