“Avoid the box seats!!!”

34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Avoid the box seats!!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My advice is avoid the box seats unless you bring a cushion. They are the most uncomfortable seats in any theater I have ever been in. My legs were numb after just 20 mins. My sister who attends events there says the regular theater seats are much more comfortable. We could have saved quite a bit of money on less expensive seats and been more comfortable.

We saw Wicked which was FANTASTIC! Except for the very uncomfortable seats.

1 Thank Jan M

Many, Louisiana
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Enjoyed "Wicked"”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went to see Wicked last night and really enjoyed it. The theater is nice but acoustics not the best. We got there early and were given directions to our seats. We were kind of wandering around when we ran into another usher who told us doors didn't open for seating for another 30 minutes; that was nice to know! So we went back and waited in lobby. Alison Luff (Elphaba) and Jenn Gambatese (Glinda) were both superb!

1 Thank Melwood62
Richardson, Texas
116 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Box Service Slow, No Cabs After Show”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to see the Gov't Mule concert at The Mahalia Jackson Theater while in town for Jazz Fest this past weekend. The venue is set up well, and the only slow point was the security check upon entering.

We bought box seats off of stub hub, and were very happy with the larger seats, and the fact that we would have waitress service while the show was going on. This was our real only complaint. Our server could be found socializing more with the bartender, than actually taking care of their guests. I know this, because I went out several times to obtain a beverage when our server was no where in site.

The layout of the theatre for a concert was good, but they were a bit light on security inside the venue. The concert was great, and I would definitely see a show here again. There was ample bars set up to handle the crowd.

We couldn't find a cab, and ended up walking back about a mile and a half to our hotel. It would of been nice for them to have something set up for tourists, vs. shuffling them off to another area to try and flag down a cab.

1 Thank DeepBlueDives
Lafayette, Louisiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good Show(s), but can't wait for the Broadway series to return to the Saenger”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Easy to walk to the theatre from just about anywhere in the Quarter or CBD, but it's not the best venue for Broadway shows. After the Saenger was damged by Katrina, it was a decent alternative for a couple of seasons, but glad we don't have to go back there for next season now that Saenger is reopening. No comparison between those 2 venues - Saenger is so much more appropriate and enjoyable to visit.

Visited April 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very bad sound system!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently saw my third and LAST performance at this second rate venue!! Our beautiful city deserves much better. Let me start..... upon entering the theatre as the lights were going down, I had no idea where my seats were. The ushers that were at the doors were totally clueless. None of them even had a small pen light type to be able to see where our seat were. The one lady actually shoved my ticket back to me and ask what seats were we in!!! I wanted to say, "lady it is dark in here I cant see my seat number....". As many of our fine service persons in the Big Easy, she could have cared less about helping us. So I found some empty seats and we sat down. Last year we went to see the Off Broadway production of "West Side Story". Where as the music could be heard very well, good luck on making out more than about a quarter of the spoken words int he production.. PITIFUL. And what was even more disheartening was when I called today to talk to anyone "in charge", I was shuffled around to a couple employees that could have cared less about my complaints and could do nothing about my concerns at any rate. A little bit after the show started these two ushers found themselves a couple seats and enjoyed the show!! I guess no one ever told them how important a role they play in case of an emergency..... Again, PITIFUL. We can only hope that once the renovations at the Saenger Theatre is finished, we will have a quality venue to see a Broadway level production presented in a professional manner. So MJT, yall better listen to the public, not to mention putting your people through some training!!

Visited April 2013