“Box Service Slow, No Cabs After Show”

The Mahalia Jackson Theater of the Performing Arts
Ranked #212 of 384 things to do in New Orleans
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to see the Gov't Mule concert at The Mahalia Jackson Theater while in town for Jazz Fest this past weekend. The venue is set up well, and the only slow point was the security check upon entering.

We bought box seats off of stub hub, and were very happy with the larger seats, and the fact that we would have waitress service while the show was going on. This was our real only complaint. Our server could be found socializing more with the bartender, than actually taking care of their guests. I know this, because I went out several times to obtain a beverage when our server was no where in site.

The layout of the theatre for a concert was good, but they were a bit light on security inside the venue. The concert was great, and I would definitely see a show here again. There was ample bars set up to handle the crowd.

We couldn't find a cab, and ended up walking back about a mile and a half to our hotel. It would of been nice for them to have something set up for tourists, vs. shuffling them off to another area to try and flag down a cab.

1  Thank DeepBlueDives
in 5 reviews
"refreshments"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Easy to walk to the theatre from just about anywhere in the Quarter or CBD, but it's not the best venue for Broadway shows. After the Saenger was damged by Katrina, it was a decent alternative for a couple of seasons, but glad we don't have to go back there for next season now that Saenger is reopening. No comparison between those 2 venues - Saenger is so much more appropriate and enjoyable to visit.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I recently saw my third and LAST performance at this second rate venue!! Our beautiful city deserves much better. Let me start..... upon entering the theatre as the lights were going down, I had no idea where my seats were. The ushers that were at the doors were totally clueless. None of them even had a small pen light type to be able to see where our seat were. The one lady actually shoved my ticket back to me and ask what seats were we in!!! I wanted to say, "lady it is dark in here I cant see my seat number....". As many of our fine service persons in the Big Easy, she could have cared less about helping us. So I found some empty seats and we sat down. Last year we went to see the Off Broadway production of "West Side Story". Where as the music could be heard very well, good luck on making out more than about a quarter of the spoken words int he production.. PITIFUL. And what was even more disheartening was when I called today to talk to anyone "in charge", I was shuffled around to a couple employees that could have cared less about my complaints and could do nothing about my concerns at any rate. A little bit after the show started these two ushers found themselves a couple seats and enjoyed the show!! I guess no one ever told them how important a role they play in case of an emergency..... Again, PITIFUL. We can only hope that once the renovations at the Saenger Theatre is finished, we will have a quality venue to see a Broadway level production presented in a professional manner. So MJT, yall better listen to the public, not to mention putting your people through some training!!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Attended the Jersey Boys play and it was great. The theatre is beautiful. The staff was great and the parking was very close.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This was our first trip to Mahalia Jackson. Took taxi in rain so drop off was easy. Opening night problems which I guess can be expected: late entry into theater; mike problems; no seat for one of our tickets. In their defense theater personnel did relocate us & we were able to sit together. I do miss the intimacy of the Saenger. Ahhh! for the days. Bathroom situation is terrible. My local performing arts center, much smaller venue has tons more bathrooms. Lines were horrendous! Followed the sign taxi stand to Rampart, but there were no taxis there. Would return for another performance. Thanks for bringing Jersey BOys to the area!