Hurricane Katrina Tour - America's Greatest Catastrophe
Hurricane Katrina Tour of New Orleans
Ranked #68 of 213 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Gray Line New Orleans opened in 1924. It is a locally owned and operated business with highly trained and licensed guides providing 13 different tours a day.
Mass
436 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 471 helpful votes
“Moving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2008

Seeing the devastation that is still around 3 years+ after the fact in concert w/ the narration on how many people dropped the ball was very worthwhile. Nothing is sugar coated here- at least by the tour guide we had. This is a must-do for anyone in the area. The price is well worth it and it will be impossible to forget.

2 Thank Dand978

Huntsville, AL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Biggest Waste of Money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2008

If you are an extremely radical left-wing liberal who hates America, then this tour is for you. My husband and I paid $35.00 each to Gray Line Bus Tours and went on the Katrina tour. We literally couldn't wait to get off the bus. The tour guide was very passionate and continuously, during the entire tour, basically gave a partisan liberal left-wing speech about how the government was totally to blame, Al Gore saved them(?), the residents played no part in the chaos afterwards, Mayor Ray Nagin was correct in calling it "Chocolate City" because it's 65% African American, and so on and so on and so on. We're not political one way or the other, but we just wanted some facts about NOLA and Katrina and the progress that has or hasn't been made. We weren't looking for a political rant.

17 Thank MikeandSandy_8
Pasadena
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Necessary to see”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

My husband and I were in New Orleans for the first time the week of August 8. We went mainly to see hear lots of great jazz and more importantly to see for ourselves the devastation left behind by Katrina. We booked throught Tours by Isaballa . Since a van is used for the tour only a maximum of 7-8 people can ride together. THis makes it more intimate that the huge buses. Our driver, a native of New Orleans, gave us so much useful information which came from the heart. I was saddended to see that so many people have not returned to their homes. What a resilient city! Get away from the French Quarter for a few hours and see what is important to see.

4 Thank rosacatlover
Hamilton, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Educational”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

I went back and forth about going on this tour. I visited New Orleans for my second time a month before the storm and watched all the coverage I could about it.
I surprised my Fiancée with a trip to New Orleans 28may08-02jun08 and decided that he would make the final call to go or not. He decided he wanted to do it as well. We were both iffy because we didn't want to exploit people and drive by on a big tour bus while the "refugees" rebuilt their homes.
I was surprised by how much extra I learned. Our guide was a very nice lady (I forget her name!) who is a native of Louisiana. She was very passionate and knew what she was talking about. Watching it on the news is not the same as seeing the flood marks reaching up to the attics of houses. It was also nice to get into some air conditioning! I would recommend this tour to people who have an interest in Katrina and New Orleans.

2 Thank TravelAgent12
California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 297 helpful votes
“unbelievable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

Taking this tour made me realize how pathetically inadequate, inept and far less than thorough almost all U.S. news coverage is. What has been told on TV and in the press is far from the whole story. If you want to see the truth of what has happened during and since Katrina, take this tour. It's very disturbing, but in a positive, eye-opening way.

If you're worried about this tour capitalizing on the disaster, don't. Every local I met wants visitors to take this tour to witness the reality first-hand.

12 Thank gringoca