“Wonderful end to my New Orleans vacation”
Review of Cafe Amelie

Cafe Amelie
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Amelie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 1,998 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Between Dumaine St. & St. Philip St.
Transit: Cafe Amelie is accessible by the RTA’s redline streetcars that run along the river; the nearest stop is Dumaine Street, then Cafe Amelie is a short 4-block walk from the river.
Description: Please note that the courtyard is seated on a first come, first serve basis. A reservation does not guarantee seating in the courtyard but we will have a table available inside our beautiful, historic carriage house. We normally allow reservation space for only 50% of the dining room to accommodate walk-ins. Additionally, in order to accommodate all of our guests who are waiting to be seated, we are only able to seat your party once everyone has arrived. Nestled in the historic 150-year-old Princess of Monaco Courtyard and Carriage House on Royal Street in the French Quarter, Cafe Amelie is a rare combination of superb Louisiana fare served in a lush, enchanting New Orleans courtyard setting. Cafe Amelie has a full bar offering an array of signature cocktail creations. Cafe Amelie and the accompanying Princess of Monaco Courtyard are also available for private parties, weddings and receptions.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was a wonderful place. At night, quite magical setting. Am sure it would be equally beautiful in the warmer weather when people can sit out in the front garden. Food was delicious. Had the fig jam, nut bread and goat cheese for my app, and the jumbo shrimp, corn and andouille sausage maque choux (over penne pasta) for my main course - both recommended by our waiter Wade. I was wondering about the corn and pasta combination at first but it was fantastic. Just the right amount of hot without being overwhelming. This place is a must when in NO, and I want to go back just to try out their other dishes and Sunday brunch. Reservations a must. Wade was fantastic!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I discovered this place by accident in 2011 when we stayed across the street at the Andrew Jackson Inn. We had a delightful lunch - the food was divine, the atmosphere was lovely, and the service was professional and helpful. We were excited to come back, so while in New Orleans for a 2012 pre-Christmas vacation, we made reservations for dinner here. The pre-dinner drinks were interesting and tasty. When we asked the waiter for some recommendations about food and wine to accompany the courses, he was clearly at a loss - particularly with respect to wine. My husband ordered the lamb shank and I asked the waiter if the satsuma jelly glazed shrimp (on the appetizer list) could be satisfactorily made into a main course. He said yes. Well, the lamb and shrimp, although tasty, were not accompanied by anything more than garnishes. In fact, the shrimp order was just a doubled version of the appetizer (clearly not a main course where you would expect a side of vegetables...or anything).

In general, the waiter was hopeless. He didn't ask if we wanted bread (although we finally noticed everyone around us had it ). When we placed our used cutlery on the salad plates to be taken away, to our shock he took the dirty forks and knives off the plates and placed them back down on the table! When he brought the main courses, we had to ask him to take away the dirty cutlery and bring us clean ones. He interacted minimally - little more than than you would get through a fast food drive-through.

While we were being treated with indifference (or cluelessness?), the waiter and maitre d' were fawning over an older couple who appeared to be regulars. For this type of restaurant, one would expect that the wait staff would be trained better.

1  Thank flotantqueen
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Last evening, I learned that I had made our reservations for eight for the wrong date. With Amelie booked for the evening, the manager went well out of his way to find us an alternate restaurant. As we were down the street considering our options, we received a call inviting us due to a cancellation. We gladly returned and had a wonderful dinner. Every dish was delicious. Our particular favorites incluyded the shrimp and grits appetizer, the spicy meatloaf and tuna entrees. When the occasion brings us back to NOLA, we will gladly go back.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We passed this restaurant as we were walking back to our hotel and decided to have dinner here. We were very happy that this restaurant served great quality food. Everything we had here was delicious. The southern white bean soup was great and I would highly recommend it. For my entree I had the the lamb with bone which was equally good. Finally, we had the chocolate souffle for desert and loved every precious bite. We will definitely be back for their brunch menu.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

The setting, food, service was wonderful.
Best tuna i ever had. My wife had lamb shank and loved it.