“Romantic”
Review of Cafe Amelie

Cafe Amelie
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Amelie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Between Dumaine St. & St. Philip St.
Transit: Cafe Amelie is accessible by the RTA’s redline streetcars that run along the river; the nearest stop is Dumaine Street, then Cafe Amelie is a short 4-block walk from the river.
Description: Please note that the courtyard is seated on a first come, first serve basis. A reservation does not guarantee seating in the courtyard but we will have a table available inside our beautiful, historic carriage house. We normally allow reservation space for only 50% of the dining room to accommodate walk-ins. Additionally, in order to accommodate all of our guests who are waiting to be seated, we are only able to seat your party once everyone has arrived. Nestled in the historic 150-year-old Princess of Monaco Courtyard and Carriage House on Royal Street in the French Quarter, Cafe Amelie is a rare combination of superb Louisiana fare served in a lush, enchanting New Orleans courtyard setting. Cafe Amelie has a full bar offering an array of signature cocktail creations. Cafe Amelie and the accompanying Princess of Monaco Courtyard are also available for private parties, weddings and receptions.
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The setting, food, service was wonderful.
Best tuna i ever had. My wife had lamb shank and loved it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Set back from the hustle-bustle of the French Quarter, this small indoor/outdoor cafe is standout. The soup, salads and entrees were each tastefully prepared. A little pricey, I think, but a wonderful getaway in this tourist city

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Wonderful courtyard restaurant with great food. The Satsuma orange old fashioned was one of the best cocktails I've ever had. Service was casual, courteous, and very efficient. Food was very well prepared with good ingredients and very well plated. Dinner at Café Amalie is a great treat in a great city!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Right opposite our superb Cornstalk Fence Hotel, this looked the real business. A beautiful courtyard that was made for New Orleans dining (in good weather anyway!). This was perfect. The food, though, did not live up to the promise nor- quite frankly- did the service, which was patchy at best amateurish at worst.
My wife had excellent tuna in honey soy sauce. I was not very hungry and had a small plate (good idea) of pepper glazed shrimps. The previous night I had had some of the best shrimp of my very shrimp- orientated life with a simply magnificent plate of shrimp and grits in Muriel's (which I cannot find on Trip Advisor in order to write up the rave review it so richly deserves!).I know it was designated as a small plate, but they were mean shrimps that I could get at least as good as in any Chinese takeaway here in Ireland- maybe better even. And this was New Orleans for goodness sake!My wife's dessert of lemon meringue was three small tarts that looked (and, ,worse, tasted) as if they were standard bought-in pre-frozen or chilled desserts. You know, the sort of ones that when you see that are going to get the "chef's selection" on a set dinner menu you just know it will 3 or 4 little things that are fresh out of the chilled section or freezer and disgorged from a box full of the boring little things. Maybe we are wrong, but if we are then apologies -but it doesn't mean they were any better and in fact could be construed as even more damning of the restaurant. Good capaccino (I know, I am peasant in these things) to finish. Would I go there again? Maybe, for the romance of a wonderful setting in the best courtyard I have dined in for a very, very, very long time. On the other hand I would like to feel that they were also trading on the food-which was not cheap- as much as their location and ambience. And the food was just a tad- or more- disappointing.Do book if you can, they were very busy that night and we were more than a little lucky to get an outside table.

Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Terrible red beans and espresso. Maybe it was spoiled milk in the espresso giving it a bad taste? Cool courtyard but if you can get the basics right then it sure isnt worth it. Also pricey for what you get.