“Great Place”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: The design of this upbeat and casual dining venue tastefully blends traditional with contemporary. Desire features a raw oyster bar where expert shuckers prepare fresh Gulf oysters any way you like them - chargrilled, on the half shell and more. Our Executive Chef is excited for you to try the extensive menu including signature dishes like our Shrimp & Grits, the "Creole Trio" (jambalaya, red beans and rice, and gumbo), po'boys, and the Crawfish and Fried Green Tomato Benedict. Come for oysters, stay for the menu! Open Daily for Breakfast 6:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m., Lunch and Dinner from 11:30 a.m. - 'til. Happy Hour Monday-Friday 3-6pm $1 oysters & more!
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Food was great, shrimp and grits were excellent. Kind of crowded, but the meal was well worth it. Everyone loved there meal. It was late night and we were hungry, I am so glad it was open. We decided to back again because the food was so good. This is a must stop even though it is on crazy Bourbon street.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have eaten alot of the places in the quarter and this place is among the best.Great oysters.Breakfast,lunch or dinner it's all good.Gotta try thier Grits

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Came here on a Saturday for lunch. had the Desire oysters, crawfish etoufee, and crawfish pasta. Food was very good. Thought the oysters were prepared well and would come back on our next visit.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

The first rule of Bourbon Street is you never eat or talk about eating on Bourbon Street. But... We already had oysters that day at ACME and when our friends (who arrived a few hours later) demanded oysters we agreed we'd go somewhere else, so we all can try something different. We didn't want to go too much farther and I remember reading generally positive reviews about Desire. Plus I figured an oyster is an oyster, comes from the same bed in the same Gulf, so we went in and Sat down at the bar in Desire. We were taken care of by the shucker (Rodney) who was awesome. The oysters were the best of the trip (at only 50+ cents over ACME) . But what amazed me was that the rest of the food was equally great. I got the barbeque shrimp. The sauce was so terrific that if they (hypothetically) forgot to put shrimp in the plate, I would not have noticed. Once we ate we continued drinking and talking with the server and the conversation turned to gumbo. The guy actually said he wasn't a fan of the gumbo here, as he likes his thinner. I argued that gumbo should be thick. To settle the argument he went in the back and broguht out a round of sample cups filled with their gumbo. It was the best one I ever had in NOLA. Perfect consistency, fresh seafood, enough spice without overpowring the taste of any of the ingredients. We came back two days later with the full group (10 people!) and everyone's food wwas delicious. I had the Peacmaker Poboy, which was the winner over ACME's by my judgement (ACMEs oysters were overfried just a bit). No one complained about single thing, which is rare for a bunch of Jerseyans :) Service was great the second time as well, even though the place was much busier. Desire oyster bar was unanimously approved for return visits!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was skeptical when hotel staff recommended a place on Bourbon Street but it looked casual enough for a decent sit down meal and the prices looked about right.

I went twice in one week. First time I have a half muffaletta sandwich with potato salad. Every single bite of that sandwich was perfect. The potato salad was perfect. I left full and knowing I would return.

My second trip was not quite as good. I had shrimp n grits. Rich sauce, but for $20 I wish i had just ordered the muffaletta again. We also had fresh oysters. They were huge, fairly cheap compared to what we are used to, and worth trying.

The wait staff both times was a mix of initially very friendly but later aloof. (when taking your order our waiter both times never made eye contact, is looking around the room, or scanning outside the window). So a bit disengaged or too comfortable, but then again the order came out fine and food was good and that matter more to me. (getting the check took a bit longer than I wanted as well) I still give 5 stars because we really enjoyed the food, price and convenience. I can get over aloof staff.