“Can't go wrong with Oysters!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Desire Oyster Bar

Desire Oyster Bar
Ranked #67 of 1,919 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Description: The design of this upbeat and casual dining venue tastefully blends traditional with contemporary. Desire features a raw oyster bar where expert shuckers prepare fresh Gulf oysters any way you like them - chargrilled, on the half shell and more. Our Executive Chef is excited for you to try the extensive menu including signature dishes like our Shrimp & Grits, the "Creole Trio" (jambalaya, red beans and rice, and gumbo), po'boys, and the Crawfish and Fried Green Tomato Benedict. Come for oysters, stay for the menu! Open Daily for Breakfast 6:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m., Lunch and Dinner from 11:30 a.m. - 'til. Happy Hour Monday-Friday 3-6pm $1 oysters & more!
“Can't go wrong with Oysters!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My boyfriend were in Oyster heaven in New Orleans and had the Charbroiled Oysters at Desire. All I can say is they were great! Every place we ate the oysters were awesome so I do recommend eating here! Very nice inside too, a classier atmosphere compared to the Acme Oyster House.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Powhatan, VA
“One of my favorite oyster bars”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

New Orleans has the luxury of offering oysters 24/7 365. There are oysters on pretty much every menu - but some spots make them their specialty. Desire Oyster Bar is one. I love their more upscale setting yet the open environment means you can either focus solely on your meal or, by sitting street side, you can enjoy the happenings on Bourbon while dining. Tip - Oysters Desire are to die for!

Visited March 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great All Around Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I really enjoyed my dinner experience. The location was good for people watching. The atmosphere and architecture were authentic NOLA. The staff was super entertaining and helpful with choosing a delicious meal. The food was good also. I had the shrimp po-boy with crawfish sauce on a wonderful italian bun. I can't get such a meal in my hometown and it was huge and super tastey. I really didn't want to eat the whole thing but I couldn't help myself. I would go back.

• Visited January 2013
Wylie, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oysters were Desirous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

The food was amazing and the wait staff left me feeling like I was eating in their own homes. The Oysters Desire was excellent as an app. My husband had the Oyster Rockefeller Po-boy and devoured the whole thing. I had the combo plate with Gumbo, Red beans & rice, and jambalaya. Sooooo good.

Visited February 2013
Atlanta, GA
“Wonderful Service, atmosphere, and pretty good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Desire is an old New Orleans establishment that has been around for years.We've eaten here twice. Both on times on the busiest weekends in New Orleans (Pre-Sugar Bowl & Mardi Gras). Although the place was packed and there was a line, it doesn't take long to get despite it's popularity. I've had the shrimp and grits which was pretty good. I've also had the combo seafood platter which was alright. Didn't care for the hushpuppies and the fried seafood was just OK.

Hot bread is usually served pre-meal which is really good. They come in these little bagette thingies. I've had the parmesean chargrilled oysters which were alright, but I prefer others that I've had in New Orleans as I didn't care for the the actual parmesean cheese and prefer it with parmesean cheese powder sprinkles as I think the cheese takes away from the flavor of the oyster. I've sampled the gumbo and even the turtle soup which was surprisingly good. The menu has many options for any palette.

The atmosphere is lively and great for hanging out and people watching on Bourbon. Many of the staff have been here for years and they are always welcoming and friendly and greeted us with open arms literally. You can't beat the service here despite getting slammed during Mardi Gras weekend they still greeted everyone with smiles on their faces. I could not say the same of several other restaurants I visited during the same timeframe. Definitely worth a visit. Not for the budget conscious though be prepared to splurge a bit here.

• Visited February 2013