Gentry House
$179
$153
Preferred Hotels
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Hotel Astor-New Orleans(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$117
CrownePlaza.com
$238
$209
$249
$189
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Omni Riverfront Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$144
$118
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus St. Christopher Hotel(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$111
$259
$138
$102
  • Pool
Wyndham New Orleans - French Quarter(New Orleans)(Great Value!)
$197
$104
  • Pool
Omni Royal Orleans(New Orleans)
$203
$179
  • Pool
All reviewsevery morningfull kitchenlouis armstrong parkfridge was stockedlocked gatebourbon streetfrench quarterdouble bedcourtyardnoiseactionorleansprivacy
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Our experience at this B&B was very positive. The hosts were very accommodating when our dates kept changing. Lovely hosts, spacious, clean and bright rooms, a wonderful location and reasonably priced. Agreed that the bathroom was a tight fit, the shower's water pressure a little on the weak side and the wireless router connection needed resetting on a regular basis but these were minor inconveniences in the big picture. Wonderful warm croissants each morning prior to heading out for the day was something we looked forward to. Tours picked us up right at the front gate which was a plus. Considering the close proximity to Bourbon Street the after hours noise was minimal. I will absolutely be a guest here on my return to New Orleans and will recommend it to others. Thank you both Charlotte and Brian for welcoming us like family.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank R P
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just back from the long Memorial Day holiday. Though there were one/two 'off' areas, I'd do it all again.

PRO: First off, GREAT couple, very helpful and morning croissants were AWESOME (two for each of us, one regular HUGE, and another fruit or chocolate filled).

Location was average, 1/2 block off Rampart (eh) and the middle of the French Quarter (good); getting around was a snap. Is was wonderful to walk down to the square for Cafe Du Monde and not having to travel too far. Course, that also means anything at the harbor or on Canal is a trip.

Accommodations were pleasant, one 'master' BR for 2, another 3-bed BR and a possible 'nother couple on the futon. Comfy and (mostly) quiet [it is close to Bourbon to get some rowdies coming up the street once in a blue].

Con: a single bathroom.

Con: Bathroom, though stocked with plenty of towels/etc. it was not the cleanliest. The shower liner (no curtain) needed to be replaced and generally scrubbed down better. It was not horrible, and us guys made due, but the girls weren't keen in staying in the room as long as they 'needed'.

CON: Parking. Best I found was 6 blocks away on Rampart, towards Canal, for $17/day. Nothing in the F.Q., unless you live there, was open unless you had a sticker.

CON(??): It could use a bit of updating. TV in the living room (tube?!) and not a lot of outlets (most are 2-prong). With the 5 of us and all the electronics (phones, tablets, etc.) it was a hassle at times to get some juice. Kitchen, while useful when we needed it, could be a bit 21st century.

PRO: Cost/night

Overall, I'd be glad to go back next time I was in town. Grab your $3/day bus/trolly pass, some good walking shoes for the in-between times and get ready for a great time. Take care of the bathroom and our gang would have been singing their praises.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank David D
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I recently stayed 4 nights and enjoyed my stay immensely.
I usually stay at a favorite hotel but since the hotel increased their rates significantly (maybe because of graduation weekend) I decided to research B&B"s in the French Quarter. I decided to stay at this B&B and it was a pleasurable experience. The Innkeepers (owners) Brian and Charlotte are very nice, helpful and personable. They were very interesting to talk with and we shared many laughs.
I stayed in the Dumaine Room (2 rooms and bath) which was very clean and comfortable. Hot croissants were delivered to me every morning which went very nice with my coffee and juice provided.
All considered(cleanliness, location, cost, service) I rate this B&B Excellent and enjoyed my stay here. Oh I forgot to mention how inexpensive I thought it was but please don't tell the Innkeepers!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Gene C
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Booked this B and B after reading some of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor, and I must say; its the first time I should not have listened!!!!!!
Let me start by saying that during our stay Brian was not here, so we had to deal entirely with Charlotte.
Arrived at 4pm and our room was not ready; Messy bed, pee in the toilet, dirty dishes, dirty room. We were told to go for a walk while our room was cleaned. Did that, came back 2 hours later and amazingly, our room was still in the same condition as at 4pm. So now its 6:30 pm I have a pounding headache, my stomach hurts and I have no bed....great! After asking for our room to be cleaned once again, they finally came and cleaned for about 20 minutes with us in the room. 20 min to clean a room??? Hmmm I think Id better shower with flip flops!!!
And that was the last time our room was cleaned.....during our 4 night stay, no one came to clean, take the trash out, nothing!
Now for the breakfast part of the deal...
Day 1: Asked for breakfast at 8:30 am and had to leave for a tour at 9:45 without breakfast cause it just never came. We asked about 3 times and were told the croissants were in the oven....really??? For over an hour????? Our neighbors asked for orange juice and were told they were out!
Next day after chasing after charlotte we got 3 miniature sized croissants; after chasing some more, some orange juice, and after waiting an hour some cereal.
The following two days the croissants came between 9 and 9:30 without us asking, but again we had to chase after the coffe, juice, fruit, etc. We would ask for everything at once and things would come one by one with about a 30 min pause in between. Our conclusion: Start asking for breakfast at 8am so maybe you can be done eating at 10. BE patient and dont make plans until after 11, unless you dont care to eat. When you do get your food expect one warm croissant per person, and another sweet treat like pain chocolat or almond croissant. THey provide small cereal boxes (if you chase after them), orange juice (if they have any), coffee, and fruit (if you wait long enough).

Internet connection is from the fourth world and works occasionally and only if you sit outside in the courtyard or open the door to your room and sit really close to the door. Again, every internet attempt was an excersice of my patience, just like breakfast.

On the positive side, the hotel has a perfect location on the French Quarter. St Anne St intersects with Bourbon, so you are really at the heart of everything. Perfect location for walking around and sightseeing. No complaints in that department. No noise or drunk people around.

The rooms are spacious with sitting areas, tables for eating, small kitchen with fridge and microwave, separate sleeping area and bathroom. The beds are comfortable enough, and we rested well every night. There is alot of humidity, dust, and what I suspect are mites.....we sneezed our nights away and by the 4th night I woke up with a massive itchy rash and an eye infection. So much for my comfortable sleep. The hu,idity levels do go down if you turn the ac on.

Overall, fantastic location, comfortable rooms, but no service whatsoever. On the last night we decided to move to the Marriott on Canal St for 140 dollars....Considering the Gentry Houses rate of 125 per night, I would say this was not a good value. Charlotte and Brian are nice people, who cannot manage the rush of a busy bb! If I were paying 60 dollars a night I would put up with half of the inconveniences, just because of the hotels great location, but considering what we paid, we would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank c21579
GentryHouse, Owner at Gentry House, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

We’re very sorry that the guests’ experience wasn’t what they expected. Other guests have complemented the two of us on Gentry House’s friendly, positive, and helpful service … that’s what we’re accustomed to provide but it didn’t work for them.

A few explanations might help put the comments in some perspective. The arrival date saw a complete guest turnover; when I had to be out of town on family business, Charlotte had to see guests out and prepare all the suites. We keep our prices reasonable by doing the work ourselves, but the load this time was overwhelming.

We don’t routinely provide daily room service; but if guests want new towels or whatever, all they have to do is ask. These guests didn’t. We do provide internet service; the range extender is located in their suite … but our experience is that most problems stem from shortcomings in the user’s computer.

New Orleans is humid at almost any time. There is a lot of dust in the air. Nobody else has complained about rashes and allergies.

No excuses on breakfast. Refrigerators are usually stocked with milk, juice, coffee, sugar, fruit, cold cereal, tea, and soft drinks. We offer to replace these items upon request.

Charlotte and I work Gentry House as a team. Clearly, the team dimension is important to smooth operation. It won’t happen again.

Charlotte and Brian Furness

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I attended a conference off Canal St. for my first time in NOLA but wanted to stay somewhere in the French Quarter. The hosts were more than accommodating and even gave me food in the fridge so that I would have something to eat at the ungodly hour I had to wake up to get to my conference on time. And somehow I found croissants hanging on my door every afternoon. They are EASILY within walking distance of Bourbon Street (stumbling back shouldn't be too laborious), Jackson Square, French Market- you can see Cafe Du Monde's green striped awning from halfway down St. Ann St. It is also gated which makes it feel quite safe. I also want to give a huge shout out to Larry of RideTHISbike.com who outfitted me with the phattest lavender beach comber bike known to man. He had great advice and was knowledgeable about the city and biking trails. Great navigating the streets though you do have to have your wits about you and you do have to be sensible about where you lock your bike, but bicycling is a wonderful way to see the city solo. I also rode my bike from Gentry House to the hotel where they Valet'd it for free since I was a conference attendee. A great way to start my morning. (Just a flat, short 0.7mile ride each way.) The hosts were lovely and friendly and game for a good restaurant suggestion but not overly solicitous. The only problem I had with the stay was how many stairs I had to climb up to the apartment. Not a big problem. Also it was fortunate that the weather was warm and I could sleep with the shutters open because they don't shut all the way. There was heat and A/C in the living room and cable TV and ceiling fans. The apartment (Toulouse) was a little bit rickety/creaky, but that was just another check in the "old-world charm" column. There is a full kitchen (with a microwave, a coffeemaker, and a gas stove/oven in which I heated my delicious croissant in every morning), but the bathroom is tiny. Is it the cleanest place ever? No- if you don't want dust on your shelves go rent a room at the Marriott. Is it a comfortable place to stay? Absolutely- it's like staying at a relative's place. I would not have done this any other way. The views from the bedroom were absolutely lovely. I would stay here again- it is good value for your money and definitely cheaper than most other places in NOLA/French Quarter. Even with the daily bike rental and the B&B room fee, I still saved about $30/day from the conference hotel! AND it comes with a delicious free breakfast!

Room Tip: The stairs are quite numerous to get to the Toulouse room- if you have any knee or back problems, this may suck for you.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business