“Super Hosts and Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gentry House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gentry House
Ranked #60 of 137 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Dayton, OH
“Super Hosts and Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2007

We stayed at Gentry house over Thanksgiving weekend. Each room is slightly different, and all are well described on their website [--]. The bedroom was very nice size with two closets, a storage area and a couple chairs. We would get up each morning and enjoy coffee, fruit, juice, milk and (best of all) hot flaky croissants delivered to our door. We could sit on the couch in the living/kitchenette area and watch the owners' two very sweet dachshunds play in the courtyard.

The hosts were absolutely the best! Bayou Classic was that weekend, so there was a TON of traffic. The host "talked us in" on the best route to their location around all the mess, reserved us a gated parking area nearby, and helped us deal with a rather major rental car issue as well. They were very interesting to talk with, and had lots of stories and information about the area. And did i mention the hot flaky croissants they brought each morning? They get them from a bakery they said made them "The most like the ones we got in France", and they crisp them up just before delivery to your door at your choice of time. They were fantastic.

The location on St Ann Street is just 2 blocks from Bourbon Street, but it's very quiet. A short walk to the corner of Rampart Street and you have Donna's Bar and Grill. It was closed over Thanksgiving but it has great JAZZ and BBQ reviews from locals and travel sites.. Upscale restauant - Paristyle at Rampart and Dumaine. We found it by accident (rather literally), loved it, and it's listed as one of the top restaurants in New Orleans. Groceries - go to Matassas Market on Dauphine. It's PACKED with stuff, and quite reasonable for the area. Good deli too. Gumbo and Muffaletta - you pretty much can't go wrong anywhere. Zydeco BBQ - awesome.

We highly recommend Gentry House and will be looking for them the next time we go to New Orleans!

• Liked — Friendliness of the hosts, the croissants
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LisaLisa58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2007

Gentry House is a quaint B&B located inside the French Quarter just a couple of blocks from Bourbon Street. We were very happy with the size
and cleanliness of our room and appreciated the stocked fridge (cereal, milk, OJ and sodas). A quiet courtyard right outside our door
made it a peaceful atmosphere. The owners were extremely helpful with information of the area and the croissants they brought to our door each morning were amazing!!!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank megboire
Providence, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2006

My daughter and I stayed at Gentry House for Halloween and we loved it! Live like a local at this clean and comfy bed & breakfast. The property is very safe, close to everything but quiet and the owners are friendly and knowledgeable. Unbelieveably delicious croissants delivered to your door every morning and a charming courtyard to relax in. We will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The location
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Susan A
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2006

My sister and I recently stayed at the Gentry House B&B in New Orleans. It is in a great, gated (secure) location in the french quarter right around the corner from Donna's Bar and Grill and 2 blocks from Bourbon. The owners are pleasant, helpful and well informed and deliver hot croissants to your door every morning!! The refrigerator is stocked with milk, cereal, fruit, coffee and tea and soda. The beds were comfortable and a lot of blankets and pillows.
I would highly recommend the Gentry House. Since I travel with my sister or adult friends it's not always easy to find B&B's that can accomodate "non-couples". Gentry House could accomodate us very well with a unit that held a queen bed and a very comfortable day bed in separate rooms.

All this and the price was fabulous! Give it a try.

8 Thank Malinda H
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2005

Found this little gem of a guest house after reading the review in the Lonely Planet guide. For $89 a night (off season) I got myself a lovely room in a double shotgun cottage which had its own private entrance out into a beautiful quiet courtyard. My 'room' had its own seperate lounge area with couch, TV and a small kitchen (with all the necessary bits and pieces). The complimentary coffee, sugar etc were welcome after a long trip. The bedroom area had a comfortable bed to rival the Sheraton sweet sleepers! and loads of wardrobe space. The furnishings, were comfortable and charming more than modern and expensive, but hey who comes to Nola to sit in their room! Sadie, the owner, asked what time I wanted my breakfast delivered in the mornings and the following morning at 8am I woke up to find fresh hot croissants hanging from a bag outside my front door. The Gentry House has its own private courtyard with some lovely cats and is entered through a huge locked gate (no security worries for a single gal on her own there). The only downside was although the Gentry House is in the French Quarter on St Ann (next to the Creole House I believe) its also very close to N Rampart street and can be a very quiet area at night. A couple of nights I took a taxi back about 5 blocks from Royal/Bourbon because I didn't feel 100% about walking back on my own. On the other hand the Gentry House is only around the corner from Donnas bar and grill which puts on some great live jazz and music nights. On the plus side you get fantastic accomodation at a fantastic price...how she manages this I don't know. Please don't be put off by the fact that the Gentry House is on the outskirts of the F/Q, just be aware of your surroundings and take care, I wouldn't hesitate to go back, even as a single girl. I loved it.

13 Thank blondetotty